Help in Building a PC (Step 5: Build Complete)

Yakusoku
Go to solution Solved by Yakusoku,

DSCN20801_zpsw1m97wjd.jpg

Finished.! ! .ハイ、オメデトーフ(*゚▽゚)_□

"Some more tweaks in software, but hardware installation is done"

Many thanks to everyone who helped me through every step from Part choosing all the way to software installations. Thank you also to @Linus for providing me with the many resources to make this Build an enjoyable one.

Hello Linus Forums. . .ヾ(´・ω・`) ! !

I've been watching Linustechtips for at least 2 years now. After learning so much about almost everything under the sun when it comes to a PC (Hardware,Software, etc). It made me finaly decide to build my own.

This is my current problem. Its been a decade since my last personal build, 2002 if i remember correctly (Could be earlier). It was back when Pentum 4 was the i7, the transition of CRT to LCD/Flat Screen and the rise of lazer mice and the fall of the old ball one. I even remember having a white brick thing for my PSU (I dont remember if it was the PSU or not but it was out side the Tower and its what I turn on first before turing on the main power of my PC).

I have NO experience what so ever. Be it bulding, choosing parts that fit well and buying the parts it self. So yes, I've been just purchasing a Laptop for the past decade to feed my needs.

First thing is first, when watching Linus talk about PC builds, he always emphazied the "Need" of the consumer when buying/builing a PC.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEED

A Computer that is good for work and play.

I'm currently going to want a System that can use all these programs if not other simmlar programs with out problems.

Programs:

Softimage (xsi) / maya
Zbrush
Xnormal
Photoshop CS6
3D Coat

Gaming:

I also game alot, so also getting a System that can play most games at smoothly would be great. I've been stuck playing games that my Laptop can run. I've always wanted to try many AAA tiles but it just can't handle them. Though I still enjoy old AAA tiles from 2003-2007, and thoes work well in my Laptop.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BUILD - Updated 02/24/2015

I would want this Computer to have the flexibility to be upgraded when need be.

I've been planning this for quite some time now. And here is what I have come up with.

Final Phase: SYSTEM PART LIST

Q: Any parts I still need and or lack?
Q: Any parts things not needed?

Q: Any parts that are better than what I have picked?
Q: As for a monitor I'm quite happy my Samsung HDTV "24" is still holding up even after 3 years (Plugged onto my Laptop via HDMI). Do I need a new one? And if so, do I need two?

BUDGET

[spoiler=Has been addressed.]

I live/Stay in Canada for now. I might be going back home to Japan in the end of the year though.
Since this would be my first build in a loong time. I'd like to invest in it quite a bit. So my current budget is $2500-3000 Canadian - Hopfuly that also covers having tax added already (If anything less and save some money would be amazing)

Q: Are there any places/sites where I can purchse these all at once place to reduce shipping costs?
Q: Knowing prices and all, is there any place/site which offers Financing (Like a monthly payment)? This is must if available.
Q: Tips on getting these all organized if buying them all in one place is not an opption?

Note: If these don't apply, is just getting an Alienware PC (Since its the only Financable System I found on the internet) the last option?

BUILD PROCESS

Once parts have been decided, purchased and arrived at my place.

Q: What are the things needed to start the build?
Q: Steps in building
Q: Tips and tricks in building

P.S: if given the chance once everything is set in motion I would give some photo's of the whole build process

Please and Thank You. . .(人´∀`*)! !

get a 4790k instead of the 4770k

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

You're off to a great start, but some of the parts were a bit overpriced. I've saved you almost $200

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($321.75 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($87.75 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($139.99 @ Micro Center) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($565.91 @ Newegg) 
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case  ($129.99 @ Micro Center) 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  ($57.88 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $2179.13
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-06 23:25 EST-0500

"Rawr XD"

Oh is cheaper by a tiny bit and has better processing speed. Why is that?

If you want it to be more quiet you could go for a silent case like the Define R5 and a high end air cooler. Some air coolers perform as well as the H100i while making less noise.

You may not need an optical drive, but if you need it you need it. But def get a 4970k not 4770k and you may not need a wifi board but it can come in handy. With the maya stuff you are doind 16 gb of RAM (I never say this) would most likely come in handy. Some tips, make sure you make sure it POSTs outside the case and just watch build guides and follow one while working. Also make sure you ground yourself occasionally if you arent using a wrist strap (which I recommend)

CPU: i7-4770k CPU Cooler: NH-D14 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb GPU: EVGA Superclocked 780 ti MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Gene PSU: Corsair RM 850 Case: Bitfenix Prodigy M

You're off to a great start, but some of the parts were a bit overpriced. I've saved you almost $200

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($321.75 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($87.75 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($139.99 @ Micro Center) 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  ($57.88 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $2179.13
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-06 23:25 EST-0500

Its a nice price reduction, although I like the Asus motherboard since it has Wifi AC and really good features. I haven't really used ethernet cables in a long time. Is it better to inviest on one or getting this Motherboard you sugested plus a wifi adapter much cheaper?

Its a nice price reduction, although I like the Asus motherboard since it has Wifi AC and really good features. I haven't really used ethernet cables in a long time. Is it better to inviest on one or getting this Motherboard you sugested plus a wifi adapter much cheaper?

Either way is good. Personally I would get the MSI board and a WiFi card like Asus PCE-N53. The two of them together is still cheaper then getting the Asus board, but you have an extra card in your system and some people don't like that, so it's up to you. Built-in WiFi looks "cleaner"

"Rawr XD"

Welcome to the forum :D Yup, the build thay posted is better, also, if you dont care too much about the looks, you could get a aftermarket cooled 980 and place it on top of the SLI, that way you will get more performance out of them.

Umm, Make sure you watch some of the "early" builds that Linus did, where everything is detailed... But just make sure the system works outside the case before mounting it inside.

Also, yup, get the MSI board and add a nice wifi card.

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

I wouldn't worry about the built in wifi on the asus board. you will probably be better off putting in a different wireless card.

Don't focus on the hardware in this video since the same techniques are applied in almost any modern computer. Carey has one the the most detailed build walkthroughs I've seen on YouTube :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Oh is cheaper by a tiny bit and has better processing speed. Why is that?

These are part of the newer line of Haswell CPUs, Haswell Refresh.

It is defininitely cheaper to grab a motherboard without Wifi and a PCI card.

Let's focus on your part selection.  Why do you need so much GPU power?  GTX 980 SLI is extremely expensive.

Edit: I started going through your program list, so I take it you work with a lot of 3d modeling, or is it a hobby?

@Yakusoku The build looks fine, cost aside.  The one problem that immediately stands out is your lack of RAM.  You should be a minimum of 16 GB for what you detailed in your original post.

Great! Really appricate the help from everyone! I look into everyone sugestion and look on whats best. Thanks again!

Let's focus on your part selection.  Why do you need so much GPU power?  GTX 980 SLI is extremely expensive.

Well I'm looking to build something I can use for a long time. If like example 4k monitors would help my work more and I would need more GPU and getting the SLI now would be better (Though this is just me, I dont have much knowledge and I maybe wrong).

So what would you suggest? A friend of mine told me either 970 SLI or single 980. Would thoes be enough?

Sigh... I wish I knew productivity software better off the top of my head. Given this price point some interesting things can happen. I just don't know how many of those offer gpu acceleration, if that gpu acceleration is CUDA or OpenCL, or if it is CPU dependent. As far as gaming wise I'm fairly certain that HDTV is 1080p therefore 1 GTX 980 will be enough. The savings may honestly be worth looking into 2011-v3 boards and a 5820k or 5930k for your productivity tasks. 

I hope this is good

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($368.95 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: MSI X99S SLI Krait ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($263.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($207.27 @ TigerDirect) 
Storage: PNY Optima 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($158.99 @ NCIX US) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($549.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($549.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $2537.02
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-06 23:51 EST-0500

Great! Really appricate the help from everyone! I look into everyone sugestion and look on whats best. Thanks again!

Well I'm looking to build something I can use for a long time. If like example 4k monitors would help my work more and I would need more GPU and getting the SLI now would be better (Though this is just me, I dont have much knowledge and I maybe wrong).

So what would you suggest? A friend of mine told me either 970 SLI or single 980. Would thoes be enough?

Not knowing how far a 980 will take you in the type of application you will use it for, I would definitely start with a single 980.  If it is enough, then you just saved almost $600.  If it is not enough, you can always grab another.

Another option would be the AMD R9 295x2.  It is performs roughly 10% less than the GTX 980 SLI option and runs at about $700 right now.  Does the software you use favor Nvidia?

This is the highest performing card on the market right now:  http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-video-card-r9295x8qfa

Mind the fact that AMD will probably release new cards within 6 months or so.  The R9 295x is about 1 year old.

Its getting late here in the east. Though going to stay up for couple more hours (Watching DAC 2015ヾ(・ε・`))

I'm looking into peoples sugestion for maybe 2 days 3 days max. Until I sum up the conclution and start looking into where I purchase the parts.

With that said. It is my first time doing all these and every step is all new to me, so is there really no ONE place to buy them all? Is buying them off multiple vendors cheap shipping wise (Adding a probable Postal Tax Charge)?

Do I have no option of having a place/site that offer Financing/Monthly payment things? It would really help.

Its getting late here in the east. Though going to stay up for couple more hours (Watching DAC 2015ヾ(・ε・`))

I'm looking into peoples sugestion for maybe 2 days 3 days max. Until I sum up the conclution and start looking into where I purchase the parts.

With that said. It is my first time doing all these and every step is all new to me, so is there really no ONE place to buy them all? Is buying them off multiple vendors cheap shipping wise (Adding a probable Postal Tax Charge)?

Do I have no option of having a place/site that offer Financing/Monthly payment things? It would really help.

Unfortunately these stores do not have monthly payment plans.  You would have to do that at the bank.  If this is work oriented, you could actually get a $2000 loan for this system.  I do not believe you would need to spend more than that.

...and yes you can pick your parts at a single spot, or pick out the ones that ship free or have stores.  NCIX and Newegg both have Pick-Ups when I order from them.  That does two things:

1.  Negates any shipping costs.

2.  I handle the parts on the last leg, not some guy in a truck.  Less chance for something to go wrong.

Not knowing how far a 980 will take you in the type of application you will use it for, I would definitely start with a single 980.  If it is enough, then you just saved almost $600.  If it is not enough, you can always grab another.

Another option would be the AMD R9 295x2.  It is performs roughly 10% less than the GTX 980 SLI option and runs at about $700 right now.  Does the software you use favor Nvidia?

This is the highest performing card on the market right now:  http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-video-card-r9295x8qfa

Mind the fact that AMD will probably release new cards within 6 months or so.  The R9 295x is about 1 year old.

I've been an Nvidia customer for the longest of time. It has always been a relaiable product so I'm going to stick with it.

Though good call maybe 1 980 would be enough. Perhaps since its a first, buying one for now would be a good choice. Then as you said if its not enough get a second.

Unfortunately these stores do not have monthly payment plans.  You would have to do that at the bank.  If this is work oriented, you could actually get a $2000 loan for this system.  I do not believe you would need to spend more than that.

...and yes you can pick your parts at a single spot, or pick out the ones that ship free or have stores.  NCIX and Newegg both have Pick-Ups when I order from them.  That does two things:

1.  Negates any shipping costs.

2.  I handle the parts on the last leg, not some guy in a truck.  Less chance for something to go wrong.

Oh that sound great. Perhaps the most expensive parts are best picked up then.

Anyway my friend forwarded me this site. It has a financing though it would obviously be more expensive having the finance part really takes it easier on the pocket. However it is only for US residents. Are there any of these kinds of sites that offer for the Canadian buyer?

Parts are priced in Canadian dollar so no idea if it will cheaper buying parts once you go to Japan.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($445.34 @ TigerDirect Canada) 
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($146.98 @ Newegg Canada) 
Motherboard: Asus X99-PRO ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($378.95 @ Vuugo) 
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($398.98 @ DirectCanada) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($646.98 @ Newegg Canada) 
Total: $2801.17
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-07 00:11 EST-0500

Edit: I started going through your program list, so I take it you work with a lot of 3d modeling, or is it a hobby?

@Yakusoku The build looks fine, cost aside.  The one problem that immediately stands out is your lack of RAM.  You should be a minimum of 16 GB for what you detailed in your original post.

Yeah its been told that I needed more that 8G for ram. Perhaps 16 would work better. And yes as a hobby, but it is more on work. (Been using a friends Gaming PC that is over the top, since he only plays games I use his for much of my work as of now.)

Oh that sound great. Perhaps the most expensive parts are best picked up then.

Anyway my friend forwarded me this site. It has a financing though it would obviously be more expensive having the finance part really takes it easier on the pocket. However it is only for US residents. Are there any of these kinds of sites that offer for the Canadian buyer?

Those site will charge a minimum of $100 to build it.  This takes away from the experience of doing it yourself.  The knowledge you slowly gain increases your ability to troubleshoot any issues that arise.  Building is a small step to better understanding the tech you buy.  I will put together a quick rough build of what I think is overkill, and I will keep it under $2000...gimme a sec.

Parts are priced in Canadian dollar so no idea if it will cheaper buying parts once you go to Japan.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($445.34 @ TigerDirect Canada) 
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($146.98 @ Newegg Canada) 
Motherboard: Asus X99-PRO ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($378.95 @ Vuugo) 
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($398.98 @ DirectCanada) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($646.98 @ Newegg Canada) 
Total: $2801.17
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-07 00:11 EST-0500

Here's my problem. I need the Unit before March. Since my friend will be moving out soon. .(;д;)ノ