Help in Building a PC (Step 5: Build Complete)

Yakusoku
Go to solution Solved by Yakusoku,

DSCN20801_zpsw1m97wjd.jpg

Finished.! ! .ハイ、オメデトーフ(*゚▽゚)_□

"Some more tweaks in software, but hardware installation is done"

Many thanks to everyone who helped me through every step from Part choosing all the way to software installations. Thank you also to @Linus for providing me with the many resources to make this Build an enjoyable one.

Hello... Long time no post...._〆(・∀・@)

After a long while asking in many different forums. Looking up benchmarks and advices internet and beyond. I'm ready to order the parts.

Now this is the final question. I have also asked this in every place I have looked for advice on. So hopefully I get to a conclusion on which really is the best.

This are the finaly parts I will pick and order. So suggesting new models or brands would be probably out of the question.

Deciding factor

ASUS X99-A + Intel Core i7-5820K + Corsair Vengeance LPX (4x4GB) DDR4 2400MHz 16GB (+400$)

OR

ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO LGA1150 + Intel Core i7-4790K + Corsair Vengeance Pro (2x8GB) DDR3 2133MHz 16GB (-350$)

Other specs are the same besides these three which I think will impact the system the most.

P.S: Price justified or not?

Rest of the system

Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB Video Card (Reference Card - Will look into a future SLI and water cool it)

Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case

Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Will look into a future 2nd SSD when a good deal comes up)

Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hard Drive (Will look into a future multiple expansions when storage gets full)

Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Lastly

Corsair H100i Cooler or Corsair H60?

For either 4790k or 5820K. Though if getting 6 cores, maybe more cooling is worth it? What do you guys think.

Thanks for everyone's help up until now.

@tmlhalo , @stconquest and the rest ヾ(・ε・`) ! !

I will be  deciding and ordering the final parts in the next two days.

-snip-

If you're OCD about looks, the 450D will fit a 360mm or 280mm rad in the top mount the cleanest. If you get the i7 4790k I'd go with a H80i on the rear exhaust and a H110i in top if you go with the hexacore. I really want to say go with the hexacore but honestly since the other graphical designer you asked said there was no need for a hexacore and if I remember right you said most of your design work was a hobby. My final vote would have to be on the I7 4790k build.

@Yakusoku

If you're OCD about looks, the 450D will fit a 360mm or 280mm rad in the top mount the cleanest. If you get the i7 4790k I'd go with a H80i on the rear exhaust and a H110i in top if you go with the hexacore. I really want to say go with the hexacore but honestly since the other graphical designer you asked said there was no need for a hexacore and if I remember right you said most of your design work was a hobby. My final vote would have to be on the I7 4790k build.

As long as there is no video/audio editing/rendering, or hefty programming being done, the extra cores won't be that much of a benefit.  Since you know what software you are going to use, you know what those programs need.

The only benefit to the extra cores would be if newer programs come out that make good use of those extra cores.

Are you going with at least 32GB of RAM?

Are you building this yourself?  Or are you paying "someone" to do it for you?

Ok.

I've just visited the PC store. Had a chat about parts and which is best.

The guy told me the DDR4 is not really needed even in 3D modeling. the difference in price does not justify it since the performance is hardly notisable. Just ge more ram instead. That's shat he said.

I guess that's because DDR4 is still new. But that's the thing would investing on something that will eventually get support be the best choice?

I'm going to Finaly purchase the parts in the next few days. So it's to 6 or 4 cores would be my question. I just really want a convincing statement the extra cost will eventually be worth it. But I want a good yes and why to get the hexacore.

Also they unfortunately don't have the reference card so I'm going with the strix Asus one.

Lastly they also don't have the 450d case, but have the 750 and 550. Would those be good? Or should I just get the Fractal design r9? The one that's similar to the 450d?

The 450d was good having a professional look with good air flow. Especially now that I'm getting an aftermarket gpu that blows the air into the case unlike the reference which is out. Would the fractal one or 550 be good? Or just go full tower? Oh and cable managements is a must

Ok.

I've just visited the PC store. Had a chat about parts and which is best.

The guy told me the DDR4 is not really needed even in 3D modeling. the difference in price does not justify it since the performance is hardly notisable. Just ge more ram instead. That's shat he said.

I guess that's because DDR4 is still new. But that's the thing would investing on something that will eventually get support be the best choice?

I'm going to Finaly purchase the parts in the next few days. So it's to 6 or 4 cores would be my question. I just really want a convincing statement the extra cost will eventually be worth it. But I want a good yes and why to get the hexacore.

Also they unfortunately don't have the reference card so I'm going with the strix Asia one.

Lastly they also don't have the 450d case, but have the 750 and 550. Would those be good? Or should I just get the Fractal design r9? The one that's similar to the 450d?

Faster RAM does not always have an impact, for example in gaming, but does have an impact in things like zipping a file.  You can get 2400 DDR3 for really cheap (16GB for around $150).  I would really prioritize 32 GB of RAM for your purpose.  DDR3, or DDR4... not the biggest difference, other than the 25-40% more cost.

6 or 4.  You can't really guess at how program writers will change software to utilize more cores in the future.  Multi-core CPU's have been around a long time, so why is the support for them so poor?  If you were rendering 4K video or something, I would be able to definitively say YES, get the 8-core Xeon for $2000 because it will cut the render time by more than 50%.  You would be safe going with the very fast i7 quad with hyper-threading.  Again, I wish there were more straight answers that could be found easily.  You have a better idea of how your programs can use the hardware because you use it.  That experience with your work is were the answers are. 

The trend seems to be that most of the 3d modeling programs rely more on the GPU than the CPU thread count.

450D, 750D(expensive), the 550 and the R5 are all great cases.  Phanteks makes really good cases too, Enthoo Pro and Luxe.  Any of those is fine.

Great. I guess for now 16Gb ram. I'll get a 2nd 16gb when it goes on sale.

As for the cpu I'll take the 4790k.

An the case since r4 fractal is only 10¥ cheaper than the 750d I'll take it. Though it is a full tower, are there any drawbacks besides size compared to a mid?

Lasty any other tools needed in the build besides a screwdriver and longnose?

Thanks!

@Yakusoku

Full towers are bigger than mid towers. Unless you worded that backwards. A pack of twisty ties or zip ties wouldn't hurt to add in. Good case companies usually give you a few for cable management but I always find myself reusing ones from packaging by the time I get to the end.

So that's the only drawback of a full tower is its size?

Also the 550 Corsair. I've seen some pictures I'm the Internet that it had a side panel window. I know it doesn't have one. Is there a way to get a it windowed?

So that's the only drawback of a full tower is its size?

Also the 550 Corsair. I've seen some pictures I'm the Internet that it had a side panel window. I know it doesn't have one. Is there a way to get a it windowed?

Might have been another case or a mod. I didn't see anything show up. They have the 750D with a window. 

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/obsidian-series-750d-full-tower-atx-case

And size isn't really a draw back, just a preference. Full towers are bigger than mid towers, mid towers are bigger than micro atx towers, micro atx are bigger than itx towers, etc. 

Great. I guess for now 16Gb ram. I'll get a 2nd 16gb when it goes on sale.

As for the cpu I'll take the 4790k.

An the case since r4 fractal is only 10¥ cheaper than the 750d I'll take it. Though it is a full tower, are there any drawbacks besides size compared to a mid?

Lasty any other tools needed in the build besides a screwdriver and longnose?

Thanks!

I like better airflow from my cases.  I would pay the extra for the 750D, or look at the Phanteks Enthoo Pro.  As far as running the PC quietly, I always have a fan controller.  They are inexpensive and give me full sound/airflow control.  The Enthoo Pro comes with an onboard fan hub even, controls up to 7 fans from a single PWM socket.

I like better airflow from my cases.  I would pay the extra for the 750D, or look at the Phanteks Enthoo Pro.  As far as running the PC quietly, I always have a fan controller.  They are inexpensive and give me full sound/airflow control.  The Enthoo Pro comes with an onboard fan hub even, controls up to 7 fans from a single PWM socket.

Asus's fan controller software is pretty beast. I have a fan controller on the phantom 530 but I found myself plugging my fans into the motherboard. The silent preset will turn off all case fans until 40c. Can mess with the fan curves as much as you like though. 

I'm back guys! Just came back from the store finally have all my parts.

DSCN20721_zps5xmijhpt.jpg

Where do I start? I'm afraid to make any mistake. So maybe any of you guys could guide me through it, if it isn't much trouble. Maybe Add me in Steam and we can chat in real time.

Thanks!

Thanks to @tmlhalo for helping me build my PC. Took a while and we went to the early morning, yet he still kept with me and patiently went through everything despite my "Several mistakes" whiles building.

Really appreaciate this help so much. Hope I can return the favor someday. (^人^)感謝♪

DSCN20751_zps227hkaav.jpg

The parts are on and working. Done done done.

Now to install the drives and other programs.

Do I need to make a new thread in build logs or just continue here?

I'd probably make a new one in logs.

DSCN20801_zpsw1m97wjd.jpg

Finished.! ! .ハイ、オメデトーフ(*゚▽゚)_□

"Some more tweaks in software, but hardware installation is done"

Many thanks to everyone who helped me through every step from Part choosing all the way to software installations. Thank you also to @Linus for providing me with the many resources to make this Build an enjoyable one.

Guys, do you have any recommendation for a good monitor. Used for both Gaming and Work. (Program used)

Preferably a good refresh rate, close to no input lag. Good angles and colors. Budget 300-700$

Thanks!

Don't focus on the hardware in this video since the same techniques are applied in almost any modern computer. Carey has one the the most detailed build walkthroughs I've seen on YouTube :)

this guy makes me so mad, just saying. I don't like his know it all attitude towards everything

I was considering the Asus ROG Swift. I really like the over all design, it has Gsync an 144Ghz.

Though I heard viewing angles are HORRID on it, it sill one of  the popular ones. I think the others is a BenQ,

What other monitors are like the ROG Swift?

I was considering the Asus ROG Swift. I really like the over all design, it has Gsync an 144Ghz.

Though I heard viewing angles are HORRID on it, it sill one of  the popular ones. I think the others is a BenQ,

What other monitors are like the ROG Swift?

There are no other like the Swift (1440p 144Hz), that is why you pay $800.

For you work, I recommend an IPS panel not a TN.  You do not need the 144Hz refresh rate, but you will benefit from the color depth of an IPS panel. 

I picked two 1440p IPS panels because of what you do.  I would also think about a "4K" monitor if you are really willing to spend that much money.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/philips-4k-bdm4065uc-monitor,27977.html

That 40" 4K monitor is about $800.

I see, but is there no Monitor that is good for both? Its just that A good refresh rate is for games and ISP for work, I would like to pay 800+ if it meant having both benefits rather than being restricted only on one thing.

I see, but is there no Monitor that is good for both? Its just that A good refresh rate is for games and ISP for work, I would like to pay 800+ if it meant having both benefits rather than being restricted only on one thing.

If you want an IPS 4K panel with a refresh rate of 144Hz... you will be waiting a while.

Grab two monitors.  One 1440p, 27-29 inch, IPS for work... and a 1080p 24" 144Hz for gaming.