Help in Building a PC (Step 5: Build Complete)

Yakusoku
Go to solution Solved by Yakusoku,

DSCN20801_zpsw1m97wjd.jpg

Finished.! ! .ハイ、オメデトーフ(*゚▽゚)_□

"Some more tweaks in software, but hardware installation is done"

Many thanks to everyone who helped me through every step from Part choosing all the way to software installations. Thank you also to @Linus for providing me with the many resources to make this Build an enjoyable one.

@Yakusoku

Will try to find a better comparison later. Currently trying to bring life into an old Dell Pentium 4 PC with enough adware on it to invade Russia. This link has a show down between the Gigabyte Windforce and a reference. Most after market coolers are similar to due strong competition so can infer +/-3 C from the Windforce.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-970-maxwell,3941-15.html

Would the cooling difference be huge? Then would the extra cost justify it?

The cooling, not so much... try the noise level.

Intel X79 motherboard

Intel i7 3930 , 3.2 ghz chip

64gb ram: G.Skill DDR3 PC3-12800 RipjawsZ Series

SSD HDD, + 2 other western digital drives for storage

evga geforce gtx 780 Ti SLI

Corsair Hydro Series H80 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

He just plays games with his System. Little photography here and there. Though I've never had any trouble using it for work.

64 GB of RAM? interesting.  In light of this PC, with a 6 core CPU, that you are certain works for you:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($445.34 @ TigerDirect Canada)

CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($64.98 @ DirectCanada)

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme3 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($244.99 @ NCIX)

Memory: Mushkin Blackline 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($274.99 @ Newegg Canada)

Storage: Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($129.99 @ Amazon Canada)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($84.98 @ DirectCanada)

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB STRIX Video Card  ($662.48 @ DirectCanada)

Case: Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case  ($134.99 @ DirectCanada)

Power Supply: XFX XTR 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($124.98 @ NCIX)

Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer  ($18.68 @ DirectCanada)

Total: $2186.40

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-07 18:40 EST-0500

I really want to put an extra 16 GB of RAM in, but it costs so much.

Is the 6-Core really necessary? Though I have used his PC and had no issues with it, would the 4-Core just do fine?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Progress so far:

CPU:                         Intel Core i7 4790K                                                                  [ $359.97 ]

CPU Cooler:            Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler                               [   $64.98 ]

Motherboard:         Asus MAXIMUS VII Hero                                                           [ $234.97 ]

RAM:                        Corsair Vengence Pro (2 x 16GB) DDR3-2133                        [ $179.00 ]

GPU:                         Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB                                                  [ $649.95 ]

Storage:                  Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" SSD                                       [ $139.99 ]

Storage:                  Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD                          [ $139.99 ]

Case:                       Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower                                                   [ $134.99 ]

OS:                           WIndows 7 Pro SP1 (OEM) (64 Bit)                                         [ $157.98 ]

Extra:                      

Asus USB-N13 802.11b/g/n USB-Wifi Adapter                          [   $22.80 ]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the PSU whats the difference of XFX XTR 750W 80+ Gold / Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold / EVGA 760W 80+ Gold. They are $124, $129, $124 respectively. All 3 are modular (Though I have no idea what a modular is just heard linus keep mentioning it).

Is the 6-Core really necessary? Though I have used his PC and had no issues with it, would the 4-Core just do fine?

Progress so far:

CPU:                         Intel Core i7 4790K                                                                  [ $359.97 ]

CPU Cooler:            Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler                               [   $64.98 ]

Motherboard:         Asus MAXIMUS VII Hero                                                           [ $234.97 ]

RAM:                        Corsair Vengence Pro (2 x 16GB) DDR3-2133                        [ $179.00 ]

GPU:                         Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB                                                  [ $649.95 ]

Storage:                  Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" SSD                                       [ $139.99 ]

Storage:                  Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD                          [ $139.99 ]

Case:                       Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower                                                   [ $134.99 ]

OS:                           WIndows 7 Pro SP1 (OEM) (64 Bit)                                         [ $157.98 ]

Extra:                      

Asus USB-N13 802.11b/g/n USB-Wifi Adapter                          [   $22.80 ]

As for the PSU whats the difference of XFX XTR 750W 80+ Gold / Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold / EVGA 760W 80+ Gold. They are $124, $129, $124 respectively. All 3 are modular (Though I have no idea what a modular is just heard linus keep mentioning it).

They are all good PSU's.  The Corsair and the XFX have a single rail for your 12v parts whereas the EVGA has four rails for the same parts (GPU, SSD, Hard drive, Optical drive).

Rails are effectively little factories that produce energy.  The single rail (factory) of the Corsair and XFX both have 62 "amps" going to any part that needs it.  The EVGA has four little factories (rails) that can deliver 20 amps each.  Theoretically, if you have a GPU that actually needed more than 20 amps, the Corsair and XFX would be able to run it, the EVGA would not.  That won't happen though.

For simplicity's sake, I prefer a single rail with an amperage that is available to any part.

@Yakusoku Modular just means you can detach unneeded cables. Semi modular means you can only detach some cables but cables that will always be used like the 24 pin, and cpu power are attached. To be honest it isn't needed but it is really really helpful for cable management since you can remove the cables you aren't using. 

So its either the XFX or Corsair then. Question about the 750W though. If ever the build is done and I am need the 2nd 980 for an SLI and more RAM. Would 750 be enough to power them?

So its either the XFX or Corsair then. Question about the 750W though. If ever the build is done and I am need the 2nd 980 for an SLI and more RAM. Would 750 be enough to power them?

446W under extreme load for 2 GTX 980's... 750w is fine:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/geforce-gtx-980-sli-review,4.html

You could run 3 980s with 750W.

@Yakusoku 750 is enough + headroom for SLI 980s. Also do you plan to use any of the tools in Windows 7 Pro? It doesn't offer any performance difference over home it just comes with these admin tools. 

https://www.microsoft.com/windows/business/windows-version-comparison-chart.aspx

I see, what I really need though is the Last tool that Win7 Ult has. Which allows me to switch languages. So Win7 Home Premium is fine then.

If you still have old hardware that was back in the early PCI and Late EISA days there are also a couple boards that support the i7 4790s Series motherboards.   It might be nice to have a good motherboard that lets you use older hardware. HD620-H81 is the model number, and you can find them at http://www.dfi.com.tw/products/product.html?productId=1343and other sites.  They come with a PCI-E gen 3 and support 16gb of ram. 

That's only if you want to save old harware from the bin.

So I've registered in the sites where I would purchase the parts. I've narrowed them down to 3 sites to make reduce shipping costs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DirectCanada

CPU Cooler: Corsair h60 - $64.98

RAM: Corsair Vengence 8GB DDR3-1866 - $ $98.98 Took this for now since my friend said he'd get me a 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3-2133

2nd Storage:  Seahate Barracuda 2TB $84.98

Case: Corsair 450D ATX - $134.99

Wireless Adapter: Asus USB-N13 - $22.80

Shipping & handling - $28.91

Insurance - $6.11

Environmental Fee - $0.30

Sub Total - $442.05

Tax (13%) - $57.47

Total - $499.52

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TigerDirect

CPU: i7 4790k - $429.97

MOBO: MAXIMUS VII HERO - $259.97

PSU: Corsair 750W 80+ Gold - $155.99

Shipping & handling - $15.60

Insurance - $0.00

Environmental Fee - $0.00

Sub Total - $965.92

Tax (13%) - $127.60

Total - $1,109.12

Vuugo

GPU: Asus GeForce GTX980 - $649.95

Main Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 SSD - $165.00

Shipping & handling - $25.92

Insurance - $13.50

Environmental Fee - $0.75

Sub Total - $814.95

Tax (13%) - $111.17

Total - $966.29

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/]

The tax really so huge, oh well.

Is there anything I can improve up to this point?

P.S: Not yet ordered.

Does anyone have any suggestions besides relying on pcpartpicker to give sites that give the best price?

@Yakusoku Unless you have a brick and mortar electronic store locally, PC part picker usually keeps track of the online retailers fairly well. The only other thing I can think of is checking out Amazon as they are big enough to have their own credit card. If you make an Amazon card account they usually shave off some of the sticker price on first purchase and since it is a credit card the bill won't arrive til the end of the month. Lot of that may depend on your credit tho. After paying it off just cancel it. 

@Yakusoku Unless you have a brick and mortar electronic store locally, PC part picker usually keeps track of the online retailers fairly well. The only other thing I can think of is checking out Amazon as they are big enough to have their own credit card. If you make an Amazon card account they usually shave off some of the sticker price on first purchase and since it is a credit card the bill won't arrive til the end of the month. Lot of that may depend on your credit tho. After paying it off just cancel it. 

Just found a decent a store near my area where they have all parts mention in my build. I will go in person soon though to ask about the 980 if they have a Reference one. Anyway I went on their site and I was quite surprised that though not very significant the price was lower. Wintronic total w/ Tax: $2504 and CanadaComputers total w/ Tax: $2422. Its cheaper that buying from the 3 sites which costs me a total of $2604.93. Not to mention if they do have all those in stock I can just pick them right away my self.

Also I wanted to ask about if I decide to go with a i7-5820K insted of the 4790K would I need to change the Motherboard (Asus Maximus VII Hero)? Then would I need 16GB of RAM right away and not 8GB?

P.S: I've just watched the WAN show and about the 970. Is there any similar issue with the 980? Do I or  do I not get the VRAM I payed for.

@Yakusoku

You will have to change motherboards. Your 4+ core chips are on the LGA 2011-v3 socket while the 4- core chips are on LGA 1150. You will also have to change ram as the 2011-v3 boards use DDR4 and LGA 1150 uses DDR3. Ram capacity is static as a limiting factor. Think of it as a pot you put the food in to cook on the stove. It doesn't matter if you have a nice cooking pot (speed and latency) or a rusty bucket (like old DDR1, DDR2 RAM) if neither pot holds the item you're cooking. The 980 doesn't have the memory issues since all cores are enabled.   

I see. So you cannot do with the other board or ram. Having the 2011-v3 boards is not that expensive but the ram is. I'm not sure yet if getting a 6 core and DDR4 will really improve performance when running the software I use. Anyone have confirmation that it does help a lot and that the 4790K and DDR3 difference towards 5820K and DDR4 is bright as day?

It all depends on your other uses. if you only plan on using the CPU for rendering and nothing else, then a 18 core xeon will pretty much wreck anything. if you plan on gaming as well, a 5960x will be the performance king. if you dont have that much money, the 5820k is where you should look at. 

As to your original question, (talking about 3d rendering here, since thats where my heart lies) most CPU only renderers scale linearly with frequency (2x the frequency halves the time) and scale linearly with corecount (up to 64 threads, where Windows gives up, but not linux) as well. Hyperthreading adds around 10% on average. 

then just calculate cores x frequency (if the same architecture) and compare to see which is better. but know that if youre gaming, less, faster cores is prefered.

@InfinityCaptain follow your threads ;)

@LukaP  Can you help Yakusoku out with 3d modeling hardware.  She is spending a bunch and I wish I knew more about workstation grade parts, but I don't.  I end up researching and getting lost in the info.

Alright, hope she answers soon. I'm headed to the Computer store tomorrow to ask for their stocks and maybe reserve parts already,

Alright, hope she answers soon. I'm headed to the Computer store tomorrow to ask for their stocks and maybe reserve parts already,

You make money with your PC, so I would take the 5820K (X99) build seriously.  You get two extra full cores and two extra thread with it.  Sooner or later that will play a big role with what you do (3d modeling) on your PC.

If money is an issue, never mind the fancy board.  Get what works.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($456.98 @ Newegg Canada)

Motherboard: MSI X99S SLI Plus ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($264.98 @ Newegg Canada)

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($243.84 @ DirectCanada)

Total: $931.80

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-08 19:52 EST-0500

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($456.98 @ Newegg Canada)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($64.98 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: MSI X99S SLI Plus ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($264.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($243.84 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: A-Data XPG SX900 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($124.98 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($57.99 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB Video Card  ($649.95 @ Vuugo)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.99 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: XFX XTR 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($124.98 @ NCIX)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($107.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $2152.66 + $280 in taxes

Real total $2432.66... so you will be around $2500 in the end, probably a bit over.

Just ask a PRO Graphic Design guy. He said there is no need for 6-Cores. It just helps if you do so much tasks in one time. The RAM is what really matters the more you have the easier tasks go especially with the ZBrush.

Now my question is lets say I get a 8GB DDR3-1866 (2x4GB) and use it for quite a while. When I feel the need for more RAM can I just add a 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3-2133. It being a different Speed and Capacity?

@Yakusoku RAM tends to prefer to all be ran at the same frequency and latency. Otherwise there can be instability though not always. It is mostly luck of the draw, personally it is easier to just pick up the same kit as last time when adding RAM. 

@Prastupok  I was wondering if you could help @Yakusoku out a bit.  I am afraid I am out of my practical depth in regards to 3d modeling and what hardware is really needed.  I tried researching, but I don't think there is a quick way to understand this stuff.  Practical experience is always better.

Check her first post for her list of programs.  Help would be greatly appreciated.