Are 970's Enough To Drive 1440P?

ATLASINCARNATE

What's up guys, so I'm about to get the LG UM95 34" monitor. I am wondering if two 970's running in SLI will be sufficient enough to play games like Far Cry 4 and the upcoming Witcher. Thanks.

What's up guys, so I'm about to get the LG UM95 34" monitor. I am wondering if two 970's running in SLI will be sufficient enough to play games like Far Cry 4 and the upcoming Witcher. Thanks.

Yes, 2 970's will be plenty for that

Get two 290/290X. @KamiKatze tells SLI 970 is hitting VRAM bottleneck at 1440p in AAA titles.

"Rawr XD"

Get two 290/290X. @KamiKatze tells SLI 970 is hitting VRAM bottleneck at 1440p in AAA titles.

Lol they're not hitting bottlenecks. What is happening are people using ungodly amounts of AA on top of high resolutions to fill the Vram. When you crank games up to insane settings for the sake of testing then you get framerate issues.....SHOCKER!

My buddy runs 4k on SLI 970s with no issues. I played WOlfenstein and Dragon Age Inq @ 4k on his machine for several hours with no problems.

The hyperbole about the 970s is hitting epic shit show proportions on tech forums.....meanwhile owners are actually enjoying the shit out of them.

Win10 | Z77 Extreme4 | 3570k | Evga GTX 980 Ti SC+| 16GB Ripjaws | Corsair RM650 | CrucalMX 100 256 x2| Senn HD 558 |BenQ Zowie EC1A| KBP V60 Blues | Acer XB270H |

You sure man? I heard most AMD cards run super hot in SLI.

You sure man? I heard most AMD cards run super hot in SLI.

They don't run that hot if you're using non-reference, the main disadvantage is they use more power. Two 290 recommends a 750-850W power supply, while with SLI 970 you could get away with a good 550W.

"Rawr XD"

They don't run that hot if you're using non-reference, the main disadvantage is they use more power. Two 290 recommends a 750-850W power supply, while with SLI 970 you could get away with a good 550W.

There is a video showing roughly 545W used on sli 970s with a 4670k I believe. Honestly I wouldn't go below 650W, but I always OC my CPUs to the edge of reason. 

But yeah a 650W good power-supply (check JohnnyGURU) and you would be fine...even with a decent CPU overclock.

Edit:  here is the video  

Win10 | Z77 Extreme4 | 3570k | Evga GTX 980 Ti SC+| 16GB Ripjaws | Corsair RM650 | CrucalMX 100 256 x2| Senn HD 558 |BenQ Zowie EC1A| KBP V60 Blues | Acer XB270H |

There is a video showing roughly 545W used on sli 970s with a 4670k I believe. Honestly I wouldn't go below 650W, but I always OC my CPUs to the edge of reason. 

Watch the whole video and you'll notice that it's being pulled from the wall, so consider the amount that's added on from what's actually being pulled from the PSU before efficiency, as well as the monitor that's also connected to his UPS that's reading the wattage pulled. Note the annotation at 1:34 that states only around 465W is actually being pulled by the components from the power supply. 

A quality 550W like a Seasonic G will be happy to deliver 465W all day long, in fact it'd be happy to constantly deliver all of it's rated 550 watts. That's what buying a high quality power supply is for. 

Even overclocked, if you're getting a tier-2 or higher PSU, 650W would be more then you'd use.

"Rawr XD"

been there, done that

A single 970 won't; a SLI, like OP wants to do, will run into bottlenecks on ultra settings in some games. ;)

who cares...

Wait a month and get the 34um67 = 34" IPS, 75hz FREESYNC, 2560x1080  for 600$/500eur

And swap out that 970 for a 290. You will have WAY more enjoyable and smoother gaming xp that way. 

Or wait for the end of the year, theres is 1440p 144hz curved 21:9 coming with gsync - will prob cost a grand at least tho.