TechPowerUp has voted, Majority doesn't care about GTX 970 fiasco

virtualTune

Over the past week 7,300 users have cast their vote on how they feel about the 970 situation.
Based on their poll data , to the majority, the performance matters more than the specs, as 60.7% are still going to buy one. To me this makes perfect sense as the 970 is still a great card for its money, especially for 1080p gamers.
The next biggest group are of course the ones that are offended by the moral implications of all of it. 21.9% voted that they would not buy the card because Nvidia lied.
Next up, with 9%, are the people that never intended to buy the card in the first place. 
Now on to the owners of a GTX 970. Interestingly the people that we hear so much about, those that want to return their card, are only 3%
That leaves 5% of voters that want to wait for all the smoke to clear and then make a decision. 

So, do you agree with these results? Did they surprise you? 

I for one did not expect the number of people that will return the card to be this low. 
Sadly there is no way of knowing how many voters are owners vs. how many were potential buyers. 

Source

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 w/ SP120 | Asus Gene VI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x GTX 780Ti| Corsair 750D | OCZ Agility 3 | Samsung 840/850 | Sandisk SSD | 3TB WD RED | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM850 | ASUS PB278Q | SyncMaster 2370HD | SyncMaster P2450

Doesn't surprise me. I and other have been saying a majority of the people who are buying the card are not going to be playing at anything above 1080p, and most games right now are not going to have issues with the card's VRAM.

No I'm not excusing what Nvidia did.

I really dont care about that "fiasco", I have an EVGA GTX970 SSC and a 1080p monitor, so I think I wont be seing many issues :)

Nothing surprising honestly...

People who are unhappy with nvidia are more vocal with it than those who don't give a shit.

GTX 970 is still a beast of a card and an unusable 0.5gb of vram doesn't automatically make it a wuss

having an unusable chunk of ram just means the beast is just missing an arm.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I'm running Far Cry 4 at ultra with 60 fps so I can't say I care.

I'm telling the truth! I AM a 12 year old girl!

I'd be angered if I owned one. If not, I side with the 21%. Buying one after the information that has come to light now is, signaling to Nvidia that they screwed people over and you're accepting it.

Especially when there are other cheaper alternatives out there ATM.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

I'm on 1440p and don't care, there's still not enough difference between the 970 and 980 to justify the price difference. I'm keeping my 970s until Pascal.

Linus is my fetish.

Yup still a good card so who cares :D

of course nvidia should be watched with caution

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Yea I have one of the cards, the whole things isn't very apparent day to day, but I do, do various tasks that does require more than the 3.5GB. If anything though the major reason I don't like my particular card is because there isn't a full waterblock for it...., but that's only due to the manufacture I got it from.

Yup still a good card so who cares :D

of course nvidia should be watched with caution

This.

Great card, but who's gunna outright believe Nvidia in the future without double checking now...

No one.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

No! Everyone MUST be as ANGRY as I am! It'/s not okay if you are not angry. You must be ANGRY! and FURIOUS! that nvidia are LIARS that want to SCREW YOU OVER that HATE gamers and think they can LIE to computer and IT professionals. 

</sarcasm>

I think we're still a couple years off on 4k and 1440p. Honestly, I don't think 1440p will ever become mainstream, it will just skip over to 4k, because 4k is being promoted by everyone everywhere, even in the general consumer TV market.

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

I swear all that really happened was that AMD fanboys got some material to use against nvidia. Dont get me wrong amd is pretty good i mean i have a 7850 and a 650ti boost so i enjoy both company's equally. But people keep saying that Nvidia is the worst AMD master race its just ignorant. I mean  with the 960 its a 200 dollar card not a 250 dollar card so why compare it to something not in the same price range? and for 200 its the a damn good card. and with the 970 its really not that big of a deal, your still getting pretty kickass performance. and before someone says some crap about me fanboying anyway i did not say what nvidia did was a not mistake with the 3.5 gb thing but its just not too big if a deal.

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

Who cares about the numbers, poeple keep telling this, specs means nothing for the most part,the 970 is great for games and frames, period!

21% of lost customers would actually be a huge deal for nvidia.

But let's be honest, a 7300 people sample isn't representative of much, especially on techpowerup, where the average reader is at least partially tech literate.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I'm guessing those who upgrade their hardware frequently don't care, and those who buy more powerful cards than they need so they last longer probably care a lot more.

I'm guessing those who upgrade their hardware frequently don't care, and those who buy more powerful cards than they need so they last longer probably care a lot more.

Bought one 2 days before this whole VRAM thing came to light, and initially didn't care.

However, I had it RMA'd for noise, and now the 290X has become the best bang for buck so I'm torn between them, and am part of the latter category. >_>

what about the other 20% who are not buying it now thoese are lost sales and damage to Nvidia.

I still love my 970. It performed excellent before the vram hoopla and continues to perform just as well after. Don't care.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.