CPU Error on Asus Z87-A with i3 4160

Go to solution Solved by dragoon20005,

i think you guys forget one more step

you need to run BIOS updater for New 4th Gen Intel Core Processors

http://www.asus.com/sg/Motherboards/Z87A/HelpDesk_Download/

look under BIOS Utills

this is to be done on the Windows OS itself

Hi guys,

Today I built a computer with my friend, which he has been saving up for. Firstly, I'll explain that the reason we went with a Z87 motherboard with an i3 processor was that it was much cheaper than H97 alternatives, and of course unlike the H97 motherboards it leaves room for an upgrade to an overclockable CPU in the future.

Anyway, we updated the motherboard's BIOS to the latest version (2105) using my CPU (i5 4570), then put in his new Haswell Refresh i3 (that should now be compatible, according to Asus) but we were greeted only with a red CPU LED, which points to a CPU error. We reinserted my CPU and it was fine.

I see two possibilities:

1. There's some setting that needed to be changed in the BIOS to boot with a different CPU and we didn't see it.

2. The i3 is DOA.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Are you positive that the BIOS update went through properly?  Can you check CPU-Z to check that the BIOS number is corresponding with what you updated it to?

You could also try updating the BIOS on your motherboard, and try inserting the i3 to your mobo.  If you still get the error, then it is the i3 that is dead.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

BIOS definitely updated - it says the correct new version on the BIOS home page.

I'll try my motherboard as you said.

If your CPU works fine, I'm convinced the i3 is dead.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

If your CPU works fine, I'm convinced the i3 is dead.

first time to actually see possibility of a dead cpu (not fried)

look under BIOS Utills

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

edit:

I see the DOS version

good when you have yet to install the OS

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

look under BIOS Utills

I just updated the BIOS within the BIOS itself, using the EZ Update utility. Is this any different than using the program you refer to? I just thought it was a different way of doing the same thing...

Tomorrow when I go back to my friends house I'll try the utility just in case. Couldn't use my own motherboard because that would require having my CPU, which I left with my friend so he could set up windows, install drivers etc...

May I ask what CPU cooler you are using?

Edit: Sorry I thought the title of the thread said "CPU Fan error". I will try and think of some possibilities as to what the problem may be and edit this post.

Try the i3 in your motherboard and see what happens.

So, I managed to find a friend with an H97 motherboard and, funnily, the i3 boots up fine.

So I guess I'll try the Asus Utility to do the BIOS in case that does something "extra" to make it work...

If anyone has any other ideas please let me know

So, I managed to find a friend with an H97 motherboard and, funnily, the i3 boots up fine.

So I guess I'll try the Asus Utility to do the BIOS in case that does something "extra" to make it work...

If anyone has any other ideas please let me know

Definitely give the Asus BIOS updater utility a try.  That is what I did when I personally updated by Z87-A, and it worked just fine.  Very painless, just don't turn anything off, it will reboot a few times, its perfectly normal, just let it do its thing.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

It's aliiiive!

I used the BIOS Update utility and bios version 2005 (the first that worked with Haswell Refresh) and it's working fine now. Could try updating to 2103 now but I don't really want to risk needing to pull off the heatsink and swap out CPUs again... So I think I'll just leave it.

Thanks for all your help guys.

It's aliiiive!

I used the BIOS Update utility and bios version 2005 (the first that worked with Haswell Refresh) and it's working fine now. Could try updating to 2103 now but I don't really want to risk needing to pull off the heatsink and swap out CPUs again... So I think I'll just leave it.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Awesome!  Glad you got it working, and yea, I wouldn't mess with the BIOS again now that it is working!