Ripped off?

Timmyethy123
Go to solution Solved by Timmyethy123,

Well thanks guys, lucky I have the packaging still and my receipt, So I can bring it back! 

Must love the LTT community. Thanks!

Let me start with that I don't know if this is the right place to post it but I'm still going to do it, if it's wrong, tell me and I will move it.

So, I bought a new blue-ray player recently and I didn't have any cables lying around for it. The guy at the store told me that for the best quality I needed some fancy hi-speed gold connector cables so I bought them thinking like: 'I know he is selling me more expensive stuff but I assume it matters?!'

But now that I think of it does it really matter? Does it really matter to transport the video signal from my blue-ray player to my 1080p TV?

I hope to hear an answer from you guys soon!

Greetings, Timmyethy123

(P.S. My English might not be 100% correct, don't judge me, I'm from The Netherlands)

Yes you were lied to/deceived

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Ouch..I'll just leave this right here..

Details separate people.

Yeah, you were ripped off.

I use a 1 euro HDMI cable from Duracell for my PS3 and it works just fine.

There was once a little experiment on Dutch  TV where they tested quality of premium cable and not premium cables (like mine) and the higher quality on the premium cables was barely noticeable.

By the way, they do this because the store doesn't make that much off the hardware, so they have to sell these expensive cables.. Sad..

EDIT: @Timmyethy123 don't forget to follow your topics.

Did you perhaps buy the cable from MediaMarkt? They are pretty notorious for their 'premium cables'

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

If this was 10 years ago and we're talking about SCART and RCA cables, I would have said "No, its fine"

Nowadays... you've been ripped off.

pc specs: 4 function calculator / 8 digit lcd display / colored numeric and function buttons

He was trying to trick you into unnecessary spending.

Don't buy from his store again.

I wouldn't trust someone with such low integrity, to honor his customers and stand by the things he sells.

have you worked retail? you have to try and get the customer to spend as much as possible at any store. 

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

The ONLY good thing about premium cables is build quality.

But considering that is such a small factor in cables, yet you were lied to.

You sure about that? :P

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

Yeah, you were ripped off.

I use a 1 euro HDMI cable from Duracell for my PS3 and it works just fine.

There was once a little experiment on Dutch  TV where they tested quality of premium cable and not premium cables (like mine) and the higher quality on the premium cables was barely noticeable.

By the way, they do this because the store doesn't make that much off the hardware, so they have to sell these expensive cables.. Sad..

EDIT: @Timmyethy123 don't forget to follow your topics.

Did you perhaps buy the cable from MediaMarkt? They are pretty notorious for their 'premium cables'

I bought it from the BCC. Shitty store, never go there again

Well thanks guys, lucky I have the packaging still and my receipt, So I can bring it back! 

Must love the LTT community. Thanks!

Sure, convincing people to spend is fine by me. But misleading and lying? I'll have none of that.

You'd have to be quite a goner to defend unethical acts.

happens all the time dude.

"What do you reccommend Mrs. Waitress?"

"Tells you something expensive that she's never tried before"

and the cable will still help, just not in image quality. Gold plated cables are more malleable so if you run over the plug with your chair it will probably still work

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

YAAAY YOU HAVE THE RECEIPT!!!

for future reference, research before you accept the upsell.

Things like cables and Monster power supplies/ surge protectors are largely upsold with home theater components because the mark up and commission is crazy, but they are almost always useless...

(most monster power supplies and surge protectors cannot even withstand a major surge any better than a regular surge protected $20 bar...)

Congrats on the return!

Current System Specs:

MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Gaming     CPU: Intel i5 9600k      GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 ti FTW Ultra Silent    PSU: EVGA 750 G2 80+ gold

Ram:  16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-3200    Storage: 500 GB Samsung 970 EVO/ 4TB WD Blue Case: Corsair 275R-White

and the cable will still help, just not in image quality. Gold plated cables are more malleable so if you run over the plug with your chair it will probably still work

what?

It's gold plated, not made of gold. And... How does it being more "malleable" help or make a difference? Being more malleable, which is unlikely to be, means it will flatten easier and running over it with a chair means it's been crushed. That seems like a worse scenario.

what?

It's gold plated, not made of gold. And... How does it being more "malleable" help or make a difference? Being more malleable, which is unlikely to be, means it will flatten easier and running over it with a chair means it's been crushed. That seems like a worse scenario.

yea, i know its gold plated. but if you run it over with a chair it can be bent back easily, unlike whatever most USB heads are plated with. linus has talked about this before, cant remember where though

yea, i know its gold plated. but if you run it over with a chair it can be bent back easily, unlike whatever most USB heads are plated with. linus has talked about this before, cant remember where though

Usually they are the same material just plated with gold. Either way I don't see the benefit.

I think it was in the video linked in the fourth post of this thread.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400      | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti        | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

I think it was in the video linked in the fourth post of this thread.

More connector insertions is the claimed benefit relayed in the video.

HDMI cables are HDMI cables. Period. A $3 cable will look as good as a $300 cable. With very, very few exceptions. 

But a 1000$ cable has DIAMONDS!

minecraft-diamond-pic.png

I personally buy premium cables but not because it magically improves the pq, it doesn't! I buy for build quality and because they look freaking awesome!

You weren't ripped off, cables were good but you were LIED TO.

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress