Target Canada liquidation sales this Thursday will be 'like Black Friday'

So for you guys wanting to buy electronics on the cheap I guess now is the time. All your tvs,4ktvs, games and so on

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/target-canada-liquidation-sales-this-thursday-will-be-like-black-friday-1.2940552

Lemme just buy a round trip plane ticket to Canada :D

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

Shame they don't sell PC hardware :'c

Well they ARE going out of business for a reason, no?

(If they're going out of business, I've never heard of this)

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I am excite...

very deals

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Was at a Target the other day and they already barely had anything worthwhile on the shelves already due to the unpublished clearance sales they've been having. The electronics section was almost completely empty.

I feel bad for all those people that will potentially be laid off.

Good luck to them in the job hunt to come.

Wish I was in Canada for the sale though. I could use a bathroom make-over.

“Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes. working jobs we hate, so we can buy shit we dont need.”- Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

"Oh, beauty is a beguiling call to death and I'm addicted to the sweet pitch of its siren."- Johnny Quid

"Without our imaginations, we'd be like all those other poor... dullards."- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

I feel bad for all those people that will potentially be laid off.

Good luck to them in the job hunt to come.

Wish I was in Canada for the sale though. I could use a bathroom make-over.

It is quite shitty for them, but at least Target Canada is giving every employee a minimum of 16-weeks Severance Pay. That's pretty exceptional (Most would give 2-weeks, maybe 4 or 6-weeks tops).

That should allow former Target employees 4 months of solid job hunting before they need to turn to EI (Employment Insurance) or other means of income.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Cheaper than BF or rito :D

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

It is quite shitty for them, but at least Target Canada is giving every employee a minimum of 16-weeks Severance Pay. That's pretty exceptional (Most would give 2-weeks, maybe 4 or 6-weeks tops).

That should allow former Target employees 4 months of solid job hunting before they need to turn to EI (Employment Insurance) or other means of income.

16 weeks is quite good.

Should be more than enough time to land even a temp job as a placeholder until they find something they really want.

Well that's awesome of them.

Good guy Target.

“Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes. working jobs we hate, so we can buy shit we dont need.”- Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

"Oh, beauty is a beguiling call to death and I'm addicted to the sweet pitch of its siren."- Johnny Quid

"Without our imaginations, we'd be like all those other poor... dullards."- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

I am excite...

I'm basically buying shelving from them so I can finish up the shed. 

Its like Christmas. I hope our local store just descends into "give me your best price" shenanigans. The one by my house was always slow, depressingly so, lets hope they have stuff that I have to go shop for anyways. 

So does that mean that Target will sale products at the same prices as other Canadian stores, instead of being over priced? WOW! I just can't wait.

Usually, stores that liquidate, despite a few items to get customers in, liquidations are usually not a great deal, as they try to pay their debts the most they can.

16 weeks is quite good.

Should be more than enough time to land even a temp job as a placeholder until they find something they really want.

Well that's awesome of them.

Good guy Target.

Well...

Kind of.

The problem is that Target Canada also gave the CEO (Yeah, the guy who failed to make Target Canada a successful launch), a bonus EQUAL to the severance of all 17,600 Canadian Employees combined. Yep. They gave the guy who failed a $70M CAD bonus.

So it's a bitter sweet victory. The Target employees definitely deserve the 16-weeks severance, but the CEO does not deserve anywhere near his bonus.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

So does that mean that Target will sale products at the same prices as other Canadian stores, instead of being over priced? WOW! I just can't wait.

Usually, stores that liquidate, despite a few items to get customers in, liquidations are usually not a great deal, as they try to pay their debts the most they can.

It was sad. Target royally fucked everything up. Its not like an American business hasn't invaded Canada successfully before. Best Buy did it the best. 

They came in, LEFT FUTURE SHOP ALONE, set up Best Buys next to futureshops, and used the same distribution lines. ONLY AFTER they were settled in did they start building Best Buys in their exclusive areas, because only then did Best Buy figure out the distribution logistics for Canada. 

Target deserved this. Their employees don't, but they do. Crappy distribution and failure to keep shelves stocked AND hilariously bad pricing that made me wonder why I didn't just go to Walmart or even Costco

Agree. The worst, is that Target bought the reject stock from Zeller AFTER their liquidation, and put that in their shelf. No one wanted to buy it when it was dirt cheap, you think now they'll buy it?

The shelf were empty, it looks like they made 0 negotiations with manufacture. Wallmart which doesn't even have that good pricing on many products, has better prices than Target. To be honest I did found some select product cheaper than anywhere else, especially the special retail package of 2 products in 1. But that is less than 1-2% of everything being sold in store.

They didn't have a website, and lets not even forget that their flyers were crap: "30% off".. ok but that is the price? Nobody knows. Then you go there and you realize "Oh its not even on special, it is just regular price... that was disappointed." Disappointed should NEVER be a reaction I get when I go to a store, especially for first impression.

And I gave Target, as a consumer, MANY chances, and every time I go, disappointed and wonder why I did the trip. Employee started to be helpful, and energetic, but you can see that if you go now, they don't really care. Zellers deja-vue. The worst part is that I used to go at Zellers. It wasn't that bad, and for console games and accessories, they had US pricing! Or at worst, very close to! I did massive savings!

-Snip-

That's the corporate world for you.

Hurts to even read that.

As bitter-sweet as it may be I still give them credit for doing even that much.

I have seen fortune 500 companies let go of loads of employees with no warning and no severance.

Not saying Target is excused for what they are doing or that it's fair that CEO get's what he did....I am just saying they at least did something.

I don't shop at least my money isn't filling that CEO's pockets. Haha

OMG YES! I have exams on Thursday and its like half the day so I guess I'll be shopping like there's no tomorrow!

I wouldn't get too excited.

With our crappy Canadian dollar, it would an awesome sale for cross boarder shoppers

Main rig: i7 3770K @ 4.54, Sapphire R9 290, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Mushkin Redline 2133, Lian Li PC-P50R, Seasonic 860xp Platinum, Kingston Hyper X 3K 240GB

freeNAS server: AMD Athlon II 170u 20W, 5 x 3TB WD Red in raid-z1 (12 TB)

media centre: AMD A10-5700, crucial M4 (boot), running XBMC,4 x 3TB WD Red, 3 x 3TB WD green + 2TB green in FlexRAID (17 TB)

I guess except that that 16 weeks began the day the closure announcement was made, It only really "counts" as severance pay once the stores are all closed and the work is all done. That means that the pay they are currently receiving is technically the severance pay. So as long as the stores are open, the workers will have to balance work with job hunting, they don't get a free 4 months to search for jobs. Source: I work at one of those stores.

My PC: CPU: Intel i5 4590, @3.30GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte H97-D3H, GPU: Gigabyte AMD R9290, PSU: Corsair CX 600M RAM: Kingston HyperX 2X4GB 1600 CL 10, Storage: Kingston SSDNow 120GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB,  Case: Cooler Master 690 III

I've heard a lot about poor distribution but whenever I go there I've never noticed it. But then again, I don't see very many people actually go to Target. Let's hope they have some nice sales, I'd like to pick up a Nintendo 3ds.

Arc Midi R2 | Asus Maximus VII Hero | Intel i5 4690k | Asus GTX 970 Strix | Corsair H80 | Crucial M4 128gb | 8gb 1333 Mushkin Silverline | EVGA G2 750

Filko Ninja TKL Cherry MX Black | Mionix Naos | Fiio e10k | Edifier S330D | Sennheiser HD558 | Blue Snowball | Asus PA238QR | Samsung BX2250

A lot of worthwhile stuff are long gone, so don't get excited.

I guess except that that 16 weeks began the day the closure announcement was made, It only really "counts" as severance pay once the stores are all closed and the work is all done. That means that the pay they are currently receiving is technically the severance pay. So as long as the stores are open, the workers will have to balance work with job hunting, they don't get a free 4 months to search for jobs. Source: I work at one of those stores.

Got any source for that? All the news articles I've read explicitly used the words "severance pay", which would indicate that it would likely be a lump sum payment after the end of their final shift.

Got any source for that? All the news articles I've read explicitly used the words "severance pay", which would indicate that it would likely be a lump sum payment after the end of their final shift.

They are calling it a severance package, but we definitely aren't getting any lump sum pay at the end of the time period that I am aware of. All I know is that as long as we dont leave Target Voluntarily, we get paid until May 16th (Stores will certainly be closed by then). Say if the stores are all done and closed by March 1st, and you havent left Target voluntarily, you will be paid (I'm not sure how that will be calculated) until may 16, but no lump sum after its all done, from what I have read on media such as yahoo, only certain people in management get that privilege (I didnt even know about that). Source-wise, I dont have any source as I work at target, that's about all I know, you can believe me, or you can dismiss this as some guy trying to BS a story together. 

My PC: CPU: Intel i5 4590, @3.30GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte H97-D3H, GPU: Gigabyte AMD R9290, PSU: Corsair CX 600M RAM: Kingston HyperX 2X4GB 1600 CL 10, Storage: Kingston SSDNow 120GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB,  Case: Cooler Master 690 III