Nvidia attempting to appease customers.

ander12391

I think this has way more to do with loss of future sales than the danger of potential lawsuits. Were the specs marketed incorrectly? Yes. Does this have any significant negative effects on performance in real world applications like gaming? No. 

Any damange control Nvidia is doing is more plausibly directed towards minimizing sales losses to AMD with 290X's being availiable for as low as $279.99 ATM and/or loss of trust by customers.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Some one found out that the cards last 0.5GB is connected in a different way as the rest of the memory causing that 0.5GB to be very slow (double the speed of PCI-e bus ,but much slower then the main 3.5GB partition). This could cause signifcant frame time spikes/stutter when games run over 3.5GB of VRAM. Apart from that the amount of ROPs and L2 Cache was incorrect.

It's not like the card runs any worse then it did at launch, but i get why people are angry.

A really good, in depth, article can be found over at anandtech:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8935/geforce-gtx-970-correcting-the-specs-exploring-memory-allocation

Interesting article. The ROP and L2 specs seems like a honest mistake of the marketing department. They fucked up with that slow 512MB of VRAM part though. Maybe it would have been best to just make it a 3.5GB card.

I have to give them credit for correcting everything, speaking with customers on forums and in general try to fix this mess.

There are billions of starving kids in Africa yet all you care about it is -500MB VRAM. Humanity...such a great product of Allah.

Fallacy of relative privation. Nvidia making a big mistake, and people starving in Africa are completely unrelated.

If we are going to be pedantic, there is not even 1 billion starving people (let along children) in Africa. The population of Africa is just above 1 billion, and not all countries there are filled with starving people (see Ghana, Kenya and Tunisia).

Now someone from NVidia has begun a (Swedish) Q/A on the swedish tech site Sweclockers (confirmed via their Facebook page)

You gotta give them some credit.  I would not be surprised if the "social enthusiast market" is only about 5% of their customer base, and they are reaching out.

You gotta give them some credit.  I would not be surprised if the "social enthusiast market" is only about 5% of their customer base, and they are reaching out.

Implying that all the other 95% are A-social? Nice term you coined there. :P

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Implying that all the other 95% are A-social? Nice term you coined there. :P

I meant active in tech communities. =D  but you knew that.

I looked at that made up term a bit "funny" as well, after I wrote it :unsure:

People are so naive, nVidia PR department is selling more bs, trying to damage control. It's not like a couple of nVidia employees handling it through the PMs, are going to make any difference in the matter. In the end it's up to the retailers to accept the refund/return of 970's. And most of claims will be REFUSED and seen as INVALID ones. I also don't see any way for just a driver update to fix the flawed design of the memory controller. +.+ 

Born to game, forced to work.  -_-

People are so naive, nVidia PR department is selling more bs, trying to damage control. It's not like a couple of nVidia employees handling it through the PMs, are going to make any difference in the matter. In the end it's up to the retailers to accept the refund/return of 970's. And most of claims will be REFUSED and seen as INVALID ones. I also don't see any way for just a driver update to fix the flawed design of the memory controller. +.+ 

I really don't think it is a flawed design.  It might have been purposeful... buuut maybe I should just wait before I spew out what I think.  =)

I really don't think it is a flawed design.  It might have been purposeful... buuut maybe I should just wait before I spew out what I think.  =)

Could have used another word to describe it, but when a card is being sold as one with 4GB vram and it can effectively run on ~3,5GB, than I wouldn't necessarily call it a desired feature. That's just my opinion.  :ph34r:

Born to game, forced to work.  -_-

I think this is getting beyond ridiculous:

PeterS@Nvidia said:
OK, need to go catch some sleep, got early morning meetings. So to summarize:

The sheer volume of posts here means that I might miss yours. If I don't reply, shoot me a PM.

The forum anti-spam bots are wonky with long threads. I promise that I'm not deleting anything!

I also want to restate that I truly believe that the 970 is a fantastic, award winning product. We messed up a reviewer's guide and while that was an honest mistake, for that I sincerely apologize and can assure you that we took steps to ensure it doesn't happen again. 

I have no idea how to spin anything. I work in engineering, not marketing. I'm just here to help, if I can. My goal is to help you be satisfied with your card, even if that means helping you returning it.

Cheers,
--Peter

WTF?! "We're sorry?!" LOL - do they accept appologys when someone fails to pay them? 

Please someone make a version of this for NVIDIA:

Hey,

First, I want you to know that I'm not just a mod, I work for NVIDIA in Santa Clara.

I totally get why so many people are upset. We messed up some of the stats on the reviewer kit and we didn't properly explain the memory architecture. I realize a lot of you guys rely on product reviews to make purchase decisions and we let you down. 

It sucks because we're really proud of this thing. The GTX970 is an amazing card and I genuinely believe it's the best card for the money that you can buy. We're working on a driver update that will tune what's allocated where in memory to further improve performance.

Having said that, I understand that this whole experience might have turned you off to the card. If you don't want the card anymore you should return it and get a refund or exchange. If you have any problems getting that done, let me know and I'll do my best to help.

--Peter

Nvidia is handling this perfectly.

The GTX 970 is and always will be a good card. The problem was with deceptive information. Kudos.

Nvidia handling this like a boss, nice to see.

Yeah, except for the part where they were motherfucking liars that got caught, but now they're super nice about it!

-------

Current Rig

-------

Could a driver actually fix the issue?

The best they can really due is lock the extra 0.5gb Vram so you don't get the crippling framerate drops

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Nvidia is handling this perfectly.

The GTX 970 is and always will be a good card. The problem was with deceptive information. Kudos.

The problem is that such statement is bullshit. If it was something only related with reviewers then why is the same information present in the packaging of the 970?

The problem is that such statement is bullshit. If it was something only related with reviewers then why is the same information present in the packaging of the 970?

That's why I'm saying deceptive information in general. i.e vram, ROPs, etc. 

Unless and until there is an official statement from Nvidia concerning compensations, this is nothing.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

IF anybody hates their 970 so much that they are willing to get rid of it for $150, hit me up. ill give u my 6950's if you want them too LOL

now obviously this is a joke, i mean come on people the 970 isnt thaat bad. still better than a 3GB 780 ti if you think about it... but hey if you want to honor the joke, thats up to you :P

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Nvidia handling this like a boss, nice to see.

A shame it is a whole either live with it or recall it... But I'm not giving up my 1558MHz overclock... And I've had enough issues with GPUs for the past few months... I had a 290 for 24 hours and one of the mosfets made a little poof IDLING AT THE DESKTOP.... GG Then I got this 970, it overclocks like hell, but I have major driver issues with Nvidia cards... Running on like my 5th or 6th clean reinstall of drivers since I've gotten it.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

A shame it is a whole either live with it or recall it... But I'm not giving up my 1558MHz overclock... And I've had enough issues with GPUs for the past few months... I had a 290 for 24 hours and one of the mosfets made a little poof IDLING AT THE DESKTOP.... GG Then I got this 970, it overclocks like hell, but I have major driver issues with Nvidia cards... Running on like my 5th or 6th clean reinstall of drivers since I've gotten it.

really??? ive had driver issues with my AMD cards until the catalast omega drivers came out.

Bluescreens, boot loops, crashes, you name it I had it over like the past year... ever since 13.x

I always thought nvidia had really, really stable drivers??

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

There is nothing "wrong" with the 970 is just the specs are wrong. If you are not gaming at 4k I would keep that 970 that cards is amazing value

There is nothing "wrong" with the 970 is just the specs are wrong. If you are not gaming at 4k I would keep that 970 that cards is amazing value

Yeah... But if you look at benchmarks, a 290X is right next to it and I have a H97 board... I can't get a second 970 unless I buy a new motherboard, but if I had a 290X, it wouldn't matter.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

I think i'm the only guy that doesn't care xD

I love my 970, best card i've ever owned.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

I'm very confused. Did something happen to the 970? I haven't bothered with GPU news for a while because of all the flame wars. Last time I checked it was one of the best price:performance cards on the market and everyone was praising it.

cliffs - nvidia messed up a review sheet, cocked up the ram a little, the card is still the same card they sent out for review. mem problems only really effect 4k, now bitches be like "nvidia you lied about something that i dont even know the purpose of so give me my free card bitch".

I think this is getting beyond ridiculous:

WTF?! "We're sorry?!" LOL - do they accept appologys when someone fails to pay them? 

Please someone make a version of this for NVIDIA:

are your really compare .5gb of vram to the fucking BP disaster! dude reality check yourself

I think i'm the only guy that doesn't care xD

I love my 970, best card i've ever owned.

nope i have one and could t give 2 fucks i care more that i cant get my g1 to overclock

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017