Project Godzilla - 900D Long Term Build

Hello Everyone,

After waiting for 6 months for my case, I finally have a little bit of progress with my build. I figure a bunch of photos of boxes and parts might be a little boring.

Little bit of back story
Started off with a Coolermaster Haf X case, but soon learned that wasn't the best looking case. Give me a break, it was my first ever PC (I was a mac guy). Soon switched to a Fractal Design XL (Old worklog here - http://family.million-dollar-pc.com/showthread.php?t=903). Still wasn't super happy with that case, so I am currently using a Silverstone Raven RV02, which has been great. My biggest issue with it is the amount of space inside the case. Watercooling options are limited to a 180mmx3, and after that there isn't any room for much else. It seems like I would have to compromise too much with that case to be able to watercool. As we know around here, compromise isn't a word :P

So now on to the good part :)
At CES this year, Corsair dropped the 900D. After kicking myself for screwing around and not just buying a TJ7 or 800D right off the bat. It would have saved me some money, rather than swapping between cases over and over. We got a new distributor at work, and I was able to order a 900D. So I pulled the trigger and ordered one. It's was a slow boat from China, so it took 6-7 months to show up. Thanks to Linus for making that CES video and making me buy yet another case. :(

The Computer:
Case: Corsair 900D
Motherboard: Asus P9X79 Deluxe
CPU: Intel i7-3930K
Ram: Kingston HyperX 32GB (Prob going to be swapped for something with a black PCB)
HDD: Kingston HyperX SSD 120Gb X 2 in RAID 0 (Might swap for Samsung 840 Pro's since 240GB isn't much space)
Video Cards: Tri-SLI MSI GTX680 Lightning
PSU: Seasonic X Series 1250W (using a temp 1050W Enermax PSU while I make custom cables and sleeve)

Now for the cooling
I figured it would be a good idea to order all the big parts up first to be able to place them in the case and route the lines/ etc after. I am missing a couple cooling parts because I wanted to wait for the case to show up (needed to measure). I am missing everything that is in italics.

Rad up top: Alphacool UT60 480mm
Rad in the basement: Alphacool UT60 480mm
Second rad in the basement: Alphacool 240mm (xt maybe)
Four rad in front: Alphacool 240mm rad (xt maybe)
Bitspower CPU Cooler
Bitspower Ram Coolers x2
Bitspower Dual D5 Top with blue pump covers
Bitspower Res (need to pick one and order it)
EK GTX680 lightning blocks x 3
use all bitspower crystal links for the tubing and fittings
Corsair SP120 x 20
Aquacomputer Aquaero 5 XT
Aquacomputer Aquaero 5 LT for slave
Aquacomputer Poweradjust x2

And now for the worklog pics so far. It's a mixture of cell phone and DSLR photos depending on how lazy I was that day. lol

Corsair SP120
IMG_0173.jpg

Seasonic X-1250W PSU

IMG_0189.jpg

Wall of wind lol

IMG_20130313_015105.jpg

Bitspower CPU Block

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

One of the RAM Blocks

IMG_0230.jpg

By far the best fan controller out there

IMG_0240.jpg

IMG_0236.jpg

Bitspower Dual D5 pump top

1.jpg

8.jpg

All the mobo blocks together

12.jpg

UT60 up close

13.jpg

3D printing a couple parts for the build. One is a new PSU fan cover to replace the ugly yellowy brownish one, with a new one that has the same hole styling of the 900D.

PSUFanCoverRender-1.jpg

Also going to print blackplates for the GTX680's. They will be used to bring in the sleeved PCIe power cables. The "gap" in the middle there with the ridge will be covered by plexi or some type of clear plastic. There will be female connectors in the back of it so it's easy to remove the video card when needed. Haven't finished the design for the backplate part itself, so thats why its just a big blank spot.

isoGPUbackplate.jpg

Reargpubackplate20.jpg

It finally arrived after 6 months!!!!!!

1371755506493.jpg

First thing I notice... it doesn't fit under my desk. First world problems :S Or as my friend put it "Lots of space in new case - No space for new case"

1371760615470.jpg

Want to flush mount the aquaero on the front as clean as possible, so I marked where i need to cut.

IMG_20130620_135331.jpg

After first cut

IMG_20130620_141510.jpg

First test fit, not too bad. I will expand it a bit more and make it sit a bit more flush soon, along with some bondo or something to make it a bit of a smoother cut. The whole front will be covered in black matte plastidip to get rid of the brushed aluminum. I love the brushed look, but all the drive bays lines don't line up and it looks bad imo

1371770656360.jpg

1371772548546.jpg

Not too bad for a first run

IMG_20130621_014652.jpg

Time to swap out all the fans in the case to the corsair ones. I know that AF fans would do better then the SP ones, but rads will be going behind them all after I receive all of my parts. Buying 16 or so temp fans would not be cheap lol.

IMG_20130620_174244.jpg

IMG_20130620_181935.jpg

IMG_20130620_184600.jpg

Test fit of one of the rads for fun

IMG_20130620_181941.jpg

Time to swap over the mobo

IMG_20130620_200754.jpg

And its in place

IMG_20130620_210332.jpg

With all the temp gear in place so I can still game in the mean time

IMG_20130620_211928-1.jpg

And last, a comparison between a Silverstone Raven RV02, Fractal Design XL, and the Corsair 900D

1371794914121.jpg

I know that's a lot of photos condensed down into one post. Next on the block is the make the backlit midplate for the computer, along with a motherboard tray plate as well (not backlit). I will update soon when I have some more progress with some of these parts. Might post up photos of the 680 blocks when they arrive on thursday if people want to see them. I could break out the DSLR again.

Thanks for the long read, feel free to give any comment or suggestion. I'm open to discussion.

-370GT

How much VRAM do your 680s have? 2GBs?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Oh my, that looks very impressive indeed, especially with all the fans and such. It must get loud when the fans ramp up :P

How much VRAM do your 680s have? 2GBs?

Only 2GB. The lightnings never were released in a 4GB model. Looking back, it probably would have been better to get stock 4GB ones. The overclocked performance of the lightnings, esp under water though have always made me come back to them. One of the only 680s that can overvolt if I am not mistaken (without mods).

Only 2GB. The lightnings never were released in a 4GB model. Looking back, it probably would have been better to get stock 4GB ones. The overclocked performance of the lightnings, esp under water though have always made me come back to them. One of the only 680s that can overvolt if I am not mistaken (without mods).

Okay.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Oh my, that looks very impressive indeed, especially with all the fans and such. It must get loud when the fans ramp up :P

The 680s are loud as hell since they run at full speed for 30 seconds when starting. The rest of the fans stay off most of the time because of the aquaero. It's one of the only fan controllers that is completely independant, but can tie into software sensors in the computer for the fan speed curves. I was able to bind each of the video cards and the i7's temps to the controller, so they generally stay off until the cards are above 60C. The cpu temps are a little high, but that is with all the fans at almost dead silent. I can't hear the computer right now at all while its on.

Here is a pic of the front display so you can see what I mean

IMG_20130625_222730.jpg

nice large build. large cookie for you!

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

How long did it take you to stack those fans like that? :lol:

Looks nice though, eagerly awaiting more.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Wow, really nice build! That cpu cooler is intense! Well, the whole thing is I guess....

damn 18 fans that is sick also really cool build

nice large build. large cookie for you!

Wow, really nice build! That cpu cooler is intense! Well, the whole thing is I guess....

Thanks!

How long did it take you to stack those fans like that? :lol:

Looks nice though, eagerly awaiting more.

Waaay too long lol

Love 900D builds, as it's going to be my next case as well. Looking great so far!

Nicely done. Are you using that one fan controller to manage all 18 fans? I just finished my 900d build and it sucks that they don't give you a fan controller for this caliber of a case. Nice build so far

My build:  Leviathan  Case: 900D  CPU: i7 3770K (watercooled)  Mobo: Z77X-UD5H GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Hydro Copper GPU: MSI GTX 780 watercooled PSU: EVGA 1300W G2  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengance  HDDs: 1 x 120 GB Intel 330 SSD (OS X); 1 x 256 GB Samsung 840 pro (Windows 8); 2 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda (RAID 0 Data OS X); 1 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda (OS X backups)  Monitors: 1 x 24" Apple LED Cinema (center); 2 x 23" Apple LED Cinema (surround)  Watercooling: 3 rads, CPU, GPU, GPU, MCP655 pump, Lots of fittings, EK reservoir, EK UV Blue coolant.  Updated build: Leviathan 2.0

That looks really awesome, looking forward to seeing the finished build :D.

Nicely done. Are you using that one fan controller to manage all 18 fans? I just finished my 900d build and it sucks that they don't give you a fan controller for this caliber of a case. Nice build so far

George talked about the in Linus' CES video. He said they didn't want to include a fan controller since the people building in that case would be using their own favourite fan controller anyway.

George talked about the in Linus' CES video. He said they didn't want to include a fan controller since the people building in that case would be using their own favourite fan controller anyway.

Personally (and this is just opinion, not fact ;)) I kind of agree with this. A fan

controller which is worthy of such a case would cost a decent amount of money and

therefore increase the already high price. And many people would still end up

replacing it anyway.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Please tell me you plan on putting water cooling loop in this case?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️

You have seen the radiators and all the W/C bits, right? ;)

Or maybe I'm missing something? Wouldn't be the first time... :D

Yeah sorry did not see that my bad, Can't wait to see the outcome as I am planing to build in the same case too :)

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️

Did you skip every picture of the Water Blocks or what?

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

Personally (and this is just opinion, not fact ;)) I kind of agree with this. A fan

controller which is worthy of such a case would cost a decent amount of money and

therefore increase the already high price. And many people would still end up

replacing it anyway.

Yeah that's what he said. I agree too, I mean what's the point of putting a high end fan controller which people may or may not like and will jack up the price of the case or a cheap low end one which no one will like anyway?

Going to be using two aquaeros together and maybe one or two poweradjusts to controll them all. I have 9 hooked up to the one aquaero right now

Yeah that's what he said. I agree too, I mean what's the point of putting a high end fan controller which people may or may not like and will jack up the price of the case or a cheap low end one which no one will like anyway?

I think the same thing as well. Why put some crappy fan controller if I was just going to put in this one?

Looks nice, following.

Thanks!