this is the downfall of AMD

silenthill_69

That article was pretty lack luster to be honest. I didn't really pull anything from it that pointed to why their downfall is immenant.

They do need to increase their professional graphics market. Nvidia absolutely dominates that field, and really, that's where the money is to be made.

nvidia sort of do already dominate the gpu area with only 30 percent of the community using amd

Sources:http://kotaku.com/which-graphics-card-do-you-use-nvidia-or-amd-1440853030

That's a really poor way to generalize it.

A pool of 25,000 users only, and it's a poll? Pretty easy to fudge the numbers there.

You're not wrong, though, as the Steam Hardware Survey does follow the same numbers. Just a very poor source.

you can get a 970 windforce for 339

You can get an R9 290 for almost $100 less, a lot of the time.

i think people forget that they have the best APUs currently 

That won't really save them. I don't see a ton of people using APU's.

Though they do make sense in most home PC's that just do web browsing etc.

This ^^

lets not forget that they power all the consoles, which is significant! So maybe lagging in the desktop gnu race, but they're certainly not gone. 

They're absolutely failing in the commercial graphics solution race.

If it weren't for gamers, I think AMD would be toast.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

There response to the 970 issue was this:

"The GeForce GTX 970 is equipped with 4GB of dedicated graphics memory.  However the 970 has a different configuration of SMs than the 980, and fewer crossbar resources to the memory system. To optimally manage memory traffic in this configuration, we segment graphics memory into a 3.5GB section and a 0.5GB section.  The GPU has higher priority access to the 3.5GB section.  When a game needs less than 3.5GB of video memory per draw command then it will only access the first partition, and 3rd party applications that measure memory usage will report 3.5GB of memory in use on GTX 970, but may report more for GTX 980 if there is more memory used by other commands.  When a game requires more than 3.5GB of memory then we use both segments."

Still remains to be seen what is going to happen with this.

Hoping for a recall and offer of a 980 to make up for it. insanely unlikely, but would be mega super retarded awesome lol.

Even if I could just get an Asus strix with some LED's on it lol

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

400 dollar builds

consoles

They are good, I have one in an HTPC but they have a point. You wouldn't build a 600 dollar or higher gaming machine with an APU for graphics.

ofc you wouldn't use one is a $600 rig who said you would lol

That article was pretty lack luster to be honest. I didn't really pull anything from it that pointed to why their downfall is immenant.

They do need to increase their professional graphics market. Nvidia absolutely dominates that field, and really, that's where the money is to be made.

That's a really poor way to generalize it.

A pool of 25,000 users only, and it's a poll? Pretty easy to fudge the numbers there.

You're not wrong, though, as the Steam Hardware Survey does follow the same numbers. Just a very poor source.

You can get an R9 290 for almost $100 less, a lot of the time.

That won't really save them. I don't see a ton of people using APU's.

Though they do make sense in most home PC's that just do web browsing etc.

the consoles use them.....

ofc you wouldn't use one is a $600 rig who said you would lol

I think the person that originally responded meant they aren't viable once you leave a certain price bracket. Which it sounds like we are all in agreement over. Also the consoles are in that price range of 400 dollar builds since Microsoft and Sony didn't pack as much into them this time around.

Hmm i don't think that all those sale would hurt... then again i really haven't looked into this so i may be being ultracrepedarian (been looking for a good time to use that word) :P 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

if amd fell it would be considered a monopoly and nvidia would be tasked with keeping amd in the game, this means amd will never fall unless a third relevant company enters the game

"Anything that makes a console more like a PC, makes it better" 

-Linus Sebastian

the consoles use them.....

And your point is...

Hmm i don't think that all those sale would hurt... then again i really haven't looked into this so i may be being ultracrepedarian (been looking for a good time to use that word) :P

Which sales? Commercial?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

And your point is...

Which sales? Commercial?

u said u didn't see a ton of people using them yet there are a TON of console gamers

Which sales? Commercial?

Yes the sale of Jaguar processors in the consoles. There are a lot of them, its not something to forget is all I'm saying. 

But again, i know very little about this. I was just throwing it out there to start a possible point. 

u said u didn't see a ton of people using them yet there are a TON of console gamers

Those are built in. I meant purchasing for use in PC's.

Yes the sale of Jaguar processors in the consoles. There are a lot of them, its not something to forget is all I'm saying. 

But again, i know very little about this. I was just throwing it out there to start a possible point. 

While true, they only make about $100 per console. Better than nothing, but not a huge amount by any means.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

While true, they only make about $100 per console. Better than nothing, but not a huge amount by any means.

I see, what other markets are they in? 

The 970 vram memory issues could wind up being a big issue for Nvidia since future games are becoming more memory intensive and a LOT of 970 owners bought the card with SLI at higher than 1080p resolution in mind. From a performance standpoint the 960 is a total flop, Nvidia will have to rely on fanboyism and slick marketing to cover up a card that basically sucks and is almost obsolete on launch.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

They need some new architecture or I will start to seriously worry

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

if amd fell it would be considered a monopoly and nvidia would be tasked with keeping amd in the game, this means amd will never fall unless a third relevant company enters the game

I dont think so

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

Nvidia's cards aren't optimized for OpenCL/OpenGL they're optimized for DirectX and use their proprietary thing CUDA.

Whereas AMD cards are much more balanced for OpenCL/OpenGL work. I originally was going to get GTX 980s but as it seems I might benefit from the better OpenCL/OpenGL performance of Radeon GPUs.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

viable.... they are used in all of the consoles 

With viable I meant equal to or more powerful than dedicated gpus.

Consoles play on medium or something, I think you can get more powerful dedicated gpu's (for not a whole lot of more money).

There is already a lot of "console destroyer" builds that is in fact more powerful than the consoles.

PC  Specs 2022:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen R9 5900x @ 5.1GHz - Auto OC
  • Curve Optimizer Magnitude: -20
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX x570-F Gaming
  • RAM
                                        Kingston Fury 32GB DDR4 3200MHz 16x2GB
  • GPU
    MSI 3070 8GB Ventus 2x OC
  • Case
    LIAN LI LANCOOL MESH II Mesh RGB Black
  • Storage
    Kingston NV1 2TB M.2. NVMe
  • PSU
    Seasonic Focus GX 850w 
  • Display(s)
    MSI OPTIX MAG 251RX IPS 240hz & ASUS MG248Q Vertical 144hz & Dell 60hz
  • Cooling
    NZXT Kraken x73 360mm
  • Keyboard
    Tt eSports Meka G1
  • Mouse
    Logitech G Pro Wireless
  • Operating System
    -Windows 10 Professional 64bit

I dont think so

there are no other relevant companies, it would be a monopoly

"Anything that makes a console more like a PC, makes it better" 

-Linus Sebastian

AMD is Va Banque now :D if something will go wrong with Pirate Islands they are litteraly f***ed, I mean buttf***ed :D

there are no other relevant companies, it would be a monopoly

And what prompts you to think they will be charged with keeping AMD alive?

Yeah.. Considering how they started, I don't think they're gonna go down anytime soon,

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Not really to concerned by these numbers I mean they only make perfect sense, Nvidia launched a killer in the form of the GTX970 (vram bugs ignored for now) a great card at a great price point. AMD has just been taking longer to develop their next generation line up and is going through some massive changes under a new CEO that always means things will go down for a while before things are sorted out and they bounce back.

AMD firepro cards and other professional solutions keep selling strongly, Nvidia might be more efficient, but also far less open meaning that some customers avoid their product (Apple anyone?).  Such cards are not taken into account here and will ceraintly not show up on steam. As for the steam results most of the shelf PCs come with basic Nvidia units (those I see anyway) and they still make up a large share of the PC gaming market.

I think with the new launch AMD will be able to strike back and harsh to if they can get a good performance leap, ideally they will smash big maxwell before it is even out, which will matter mainly from a marketing stand point as big maxwell is going to be way to freaking expensive for wide spread sales anyhow. If AMD can take that crown and run with it with their R9 380X and than follow it up 3-6 months later with the R9 390X the tables might turn again.

Of course form there the game just begins again as Nvidia won't be sitting on their behinds and will work to strike back at AMD and etc etc etc. Looking at the last 3 years they been trading blows quite well, the real killer for this moment is delay in the new AMD line up, but lets hope it is time well spend, because if it is really much faster than marketing be damned it will sell on its own.

"Hope, what a concept." - Deunan Knute

Honestly, the only things worth getting IMO on the Nvidia side(if you have no preference in the softwares, or power), is the 750 ti, 970, and 980. The 960 isn't worth is when you can get the 280 or 285. Other than those cards I think that AMD has the upperhand.

SHAMEFUL DISPRAY

I've been reading all your threads with interest but there is something I need to point out AMD don't have any money they are borrowing to keep running their business & cutting marketing costs & jobs also there is NO new CPU's line-up only APU's which mostly compete in the laptop & mobile arena they also made new mistakes like a ram & ssd line-up in a very competitive market also AMD will not go down like you think they will be acquired by another corporation that has cash    

post-154698-0-87521900-1422185863.jpg

I5 3570K@ 4.4 - GIGABYTE Z77- Kingston 8G 2400 RAM - MSI GTX980 - HAF-X - 27'' ROG SWIFT + 32'' LG IPS - OCZ 250G SSD + WD 4TB HDD - ASUS XONAR DX -Noctua NH-D14