Do you think a K-series i3 would make sense?

Do you think it would make sense?

If so, the lineus will probably look like this:

Pentium: G3258

i3:  4340K

i5:  4690K

I7: 4790K

I7 Enthusaist: 5820K

5960X 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Seeing as we have an unlocked pentium I guess it makes sense to have an unlocked i3.

it makes a lot of sense to have K-i3

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

A budget hyper-threading processor that can overclock sounds like a good idea, doesn't it?

"Identify the problem before applying a solution." -USAFRet

Possibly, the i3 CPUs do have HT like their i7 counterparts.

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Why haven't they done this yet? I'd be all over an unlocked i3 as long as it's cheaper than the cheapest i5 in the same generation...

That would actually become the new go-to budget CPU instead of a locked i5, provided you can go nuts with overclocking even with the stock intel cooler because it'll only be a 2 core chip, and don't need a Z chipset motherboard (like the G3258). The problem with a K series i3 would be if you need a z chipset motherboard and an aftermarket cooler to overclock it, because by that point you could have stepped up to a locked i5 for better multi-threaded performance and still good single-threaded performance.

I'd love it. But I feel like it'd be harmful for their i5 sales.

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Seeing as we have an unlocked pentium I guess it makes sense to have an unlocked i3.

Remember, it was probably called an "anniversary edition" for a reason. I don't really expect any new unlocked Pentiums in the next years.

[Main rig "ToXxXiC":]
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K | MB: ASUS Maximus VII Formula | RAM: G.Skill TridentX 32GB 2400MHz (DDR-3) | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Hydro Copper | Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD (+NAS) | Sound: OnBoard | PSU: XFX Black Edition Pro 1050W 80+ Gold | Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II | Cooling: Full Custom Watercooling Loop (CPU+GPU+MB) | OS: Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit)

Unfortunate I don't think it'd be too profitable for Intel to do this, but it definitely would be great if they did.

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

they need it, to have a hyper threaded cpu that can be overclocked for budget builders

Pentium: G3258

I3:  4370K They are missing this overclockable cpu price bracket, they would sell quite a bit if they did

i5: 4690k

i7: 4790k

enthusiast: i7 5820k and up

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

Yeah it would, because for gamers/users of professional apps, Pentiums don't make sense because they lack hyper-threading, but i3's can't overlock, so they're stuck at whatever they ship with.

Yeah but then people would realize that'd put the i5 in an odd spot of not really being useful.

Not really - it'll be exactly the same as for the locked processors. Would you rather buy an i5 4440 quadcore or an i3 4130? Obviously the CPU with 4 real cores will perform better, both in multitasking applications and in the more demanding games. I can't think of many games that don't use 4 cores when the load gets heavier, and at that point HT wouldn't cut it.

Not really - it'll be exactly the same as for the locked processors. Would you rather buy an i5 4440 quadcore or an i3 4130? Obviously the CPU with 4 real cores will perform better, both in multitasking applications and in the more demanding games. I can't think of many games that don't use 4 cores when the load gets heavier, and at that point HT wouldn't cut it.

An i3 clocked at say 4 GHz will perform pretty much on par with an i5 for half the price.

For games it would be useless imo.

Intel are not stupid , i would say my 4160 is gonna be pretty decent when i finally can fsb oc it to 3.7 ghz.

You people should understand how easy it is to add bells and whistles to a CPU. The instruction set on the I7 could be upgraded and the I5 could have hyper threading adding minus a few of the bells and whistles to separate the I5 from the i7. A K series I3 is feasible.

Issue is they'd price it at the point where it'd barely make sense over the i5 4460.

In the UK the most expensive i3 is the 4370 or something IIRC, it can be had for £10 less than a i5 4460.

You people should understand how easy it is to add bells and whistles to a CPU. The instruction set on the I7 could be upgraded and the I5 could have hyper threading adding minus a few of the bells and whistles to separate the I5 from the i7. A K series I3 is feasible.

You can't just add to the instruction set. It's way more complicated than that, and even if you did, you'd have to completely change the OS and how programs were written to make use of it.

You can't just add to the instruction set. It's way more complicated than that, and even if you did, you'd have to completely change the OS and how programs were written to make use of it.

He means instructions like AVX or TSX, not a fundamental re-write of the x86_64 architecture.

Either way I don't think instruction sets would be a good way of differentiating CPUs in the consumer market, a it's a lot harder to sell than cores/hyperthread/clockspeed and b most applications generally don't deviate from SSE and AVX. It'd have it's uses in professional use potentially but a lot of Pros buy Xeons etc anyway.

It would probably be the go to processor for gaming. Sadly it would also take a chunk of sales from the locked i5s however which is probably why Intel haven't released an unlocked i3.

It would probably be the go to processor for gaming. Sadly it would also take a chunk of sales from the locked i5s however which is probably why Intel haven't released an unlocked i3.

People forget that we have had a unlocked i3 in the past and it didnt take a chuck of i5 sales.

The first i3 was unlocked.