can someone clarify the windows 10 upgrade for me please.

Tocsin_786

so if you havent heard the news. microsoft will give win.10 out for free to everyone w/ windows 8 and 7 and windows phone8. when i heard this news from rich of reviewtech's video he said something about it being valid for 1 year? does that mean its a subscription thing and we get 1 year free like office. or does it mean that the offer will last 1 year then you have to go buy it out right? 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

so if you havent heard the news. microsoft will give win.10 out for free to everyone w/ windows 8 and 7 and windows phone8. when i heard this news from rich of reviewtech's video he said something about it being valid for 1 year? does that mean its a subscription thing and we get 1 year free like office. or does it mean that the offer will last 1 year then you have to go buy it out right? 

The offer will last one year before you can't redeem it. It's permanent.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Afaik, you can upgrade in the first 365 days after W10 is released, and you own it. Forever.

No. the Free upgrade promotion lasts for 1 year after release. After that 1 year is over, you will have to buy a copy if you want to upgrade.

For the first year it is out, you can upgrade for free permanently, but it will most likely invalidate your key for the current install, preventing you from going back.

Some are saying that you get it for a year some are saying that it's a full copy with no limit, what I'm thinking people are misunderstanding is what MS said, they said they for a year after 10 drops people with 7 and 8 can get  it for free. What they mean is that anyone with a copy of 7 or 8 can upgrade to 10 for free for the first year that 10 its out. After that anyone with 7 or 8 that wants to upgrade must pay for it.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

Anyone know if you can upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for free if you own Windows 8.1 Pro?

Yes you can, it will be like going from 8 Pro to 8.1 Pro however I haven't seen any news on a 10 Pro.

Anyone know if you can upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for free if you own Windows 8.1 Pro?

Yes, the upgrade to W10 is for W7 and W8 users.

Guess I should by a copy of windows 7/8 then so I can upgrade for free in the future. (My current license for win7 is invalid..)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Wow i just assumed it was like a year trial (as long as u tried it with in that year) then u had to pay but its permanent that is awesome!!

How are they going to make money on this?

Wow i just assumed it was like a year trial (as long as u tried it with in that year) then u had to pay but its permanent that is awesome!!

How are they going to make money on this?

How does Apple make money each year? they don't. the money comes from the OS being put on systems and laptops etc.

No. the Free upgrade promotion lasts for 1 year after release. After that 1 year is over, you will have to buy a copy if you want to upgrade.

I got the impression that they were going to make it a subscription after the 1 year, i really hope they don't because i hate subscriptions with a passion.

That's the best news I've had all year (although it is still January)

When's it released? I need it yesterday.

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

That's the best news I've had all year (although it is still January)

When's it released? I need it yesterday.

Summer 2015 is the expected release date I would estimate fall though.

How does Apple make money each year? they don't. the money comes from the OS being put on systems and laptops etc.

I know that but they will be going from having people upgrading as a source of income aswell as pre builts to just pre builts....

the one reason why they want people to upgrade is so microsoft can have a unified audience to try all their web services. they want people to have the windows store on their pc. its going to be how MS will make their money from there on i guess. i wont be surprised if win.10.1 or 11 will be free or a very cheap price. 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since.