Questions on a new laptop

Jupsik

Hey

I'd need advice on a new laptop as my old lenovo t60, while still kicking, is slow, hot and that's annoying and if I needed to warm up my tiny dorm room I could simply run prime 95 on my desktop. 

The things I need from it:

I need it essentially for just ms office, some social media and about a million pdf's. 

I'll be using it for school/work so preferably it would need to be light and have a battery life that would last me for the aforementioned tasks for the entire day. 

I myself am a little tempted by the apple ecosystem. Problem is that I need the new laptop within the next 2 months at the latest, or when ever my t60 dies, which ever comes first and as I understand, there won't be a new macbook lineup within the next few months. (I could be wrong, as I haven't had the time to keep up with the rumor mill)

So my question is:

1. Is a current macbook pro/air a decent choice or are there some new laptops out there worth taking over them? In particular, do the new broadwell cpus improve my life in enough to take an other laptop over the choices apple offers, as if it came down to laptops with haswell in them, I'd currently pick the macbook air for the stupid battery life.