The future is bleak, give up.

Syntaxvgm

Now, a forewarning, this math is really rough, mostly from the top of my head. It's not meant to be exact, just make a point

The circumference of the earth at its widest point (it's not perfectly round) is around 24,900 miles. 

The speed of light is 186,282.39 mi/s in a vacuum. 

186,282.39/24900  approx = 7.481

That means light can travel around the earth around 7 and a half times a second. 

1000 / 7.481 = 133.66

That means it take 133 milliseconds for light to go around the earth once. 

So given there were no switches, no impedance, no interference of any kind, it would take 133 milliseconds for a signal to travel back and forth between the two furthest points on the earth. (One ping)

In best case scenario, no matter how great technology may become, you will NEVER be able to try to shoot people online lag free. 

Give up. The future is bleak. 

No matter how much some things improve, some things will always be shitty. It's physics. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

something something, Half Life 3 confirmed

Yeah, dude, we know this. But most of us will be playing on servers that are in our own countries/states/cities/provinces.

You will never live to see a day where you don't have to worry about latency.

Doesn't that keep you up at night? 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Not really? You can't defy the laws of physics, Shit isn't really noticeable under 30ms.

What about Quantum entanglement and Quantum tunneling? They've both been theorized and proven(sort of) to be able to achieve superluminal transfers of data.

well that would kick ass

Then all gamers could blame would be

The controller

the screen

The "broken ass game"

muh specs 

All parts black

So given there were no switches, no impedance, no interference of any kind, it would take 133 milliseconds for a signal to travel back and forth between the two furthest points on the earth. (One ping)

In best case scenario, no matter how great technology may become, you will NEVER be able to try to shoot people online lag free. 

Wouldn't that be the worst case scenario? To be traveling between the two farthest points on earth. And that assumes we will be using signals.

Quantum computing is instantaneous and finally, lag free. There is a light.

Not really? You can't defy the laws of physics, Shit isn't really noticeable under 30ms.

133ms though. If you wanted to shoot someone in counter strike who lived in ROSARIO, ARGENTINA from XINGHUA, CHINA, you could NEVER have a game where you were not lagging severely. 100+ is bad. 133ms is best case scenario. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Wouldn't that be the worst case scenario? To be traveling between the two farthest points on earth. And that assumes we will be using signals.

Quantum computing is instantaneous and finally, lag free. There is a light.

We could drill through the earth, but I discussed that here

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/251698-good-newsworth-reading/

muh specs 

All parts black

Why would that keep you up at night?  

Does it keep you up at night that you cant fly to the sun?

Also quantum theory states that in theory data can be exchanged between two points instantly.

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

133ms though. If you wanted to shoot someone in counter strike who lived in ROSARIO, ARGENTINA from XINGHUA, CHINA, you could NEVER have a game where you were not lagging severely. 100+ is bad. 133ms is best case scenario. 

Why the hell are you worrying about this. Just use servers in your own region.

Except data cables don't go around the entire planet, they go in (pretty much) straight lines to their destination. You're not going to send a data packet around the globe and sit and wait for it to tap you on the shoulder 133ms later, it'll take a pipe in a straight line and then take the same pipe back.

Green With Envy

A build based on a children's cartoon

Why the hell are you worrying about this. Just use servers in your own region.

THE POINT OF BEING IN THE PC MASTER RACE IS NOT DOING THINGS BECAUSE IT'S EASY OR HAS A BENEFIT, BUT DOING THINGS BECAUSE YOU CAN! 

Do you really need an 8 core CPU and quad 980s? Hell no! Do you want it? Hell yah! 

muh specs 

All parts black

Except data cables don't go around the entire planet, they go in (pretty much) straight lines to their destination. You're not going to send a data packet around the globe and sit and wait for it to tap you on the shoulder 133ms later, it'll take a pipe in a straight line and then take the same pipe back.

Like I said, a scenario with no interruptions or switches  of any kind. 

In reality, the total process is mostly curved (as in from A to B.). but has many points of transfer that slow the process down.

So far we can only drill so deep

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/251698-good-newsworth-reading/

muh specs 

All parts black

THE POINT OF BEING IN THE PC MASTER RACE IS NOT DOING THINGS BECAUSE IT'S EASY OR HAS A BENEFIT, BUT DOING THINGS BECAUSE YOU CAN! 

Do you really need an 8 core CPU and quad 980s? Hell no! Do you want it? Hell yah! 

K? I have consoles, too, you know.

Like I said, a scenario with no interruptions or switches  of any kind. 

In reality, the total process is mostly curved, but has many points of transfer that slow the process down 

But that data would still be taking a trip around the entire planet to get to it's destination, rather than a defined path which is a much much shorter distance. What you're talking about is something traveling in a straight line and not stopping.

Green With Envy

A build based on a children's cartoon

K? I have consoles, too, you know.

.Template_you_what_you_have_done.jpg

muh specs 

All parts black

But that data would still be taking a trip around the entire planet to get to it's destination, rather than a defined path which is a much much shorter distance. What you're talking about is something traveling in a straight line and not stopping.

No I'm talking about it going around the earth to the furthest point and back. Not through. Curved. And no limiting factors. Just one, long, light-speed limited cable. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Unless we dug through the center of the earth...

42 ms ping :D

Atom14 [Corsair] i5-4690K | Corsair H110i GT | MSI Z97S SLI Krait | 16 GB Team Group DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB X2 | EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80+ Gold | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 980Ti

Corsair KXX RGB Keyboard Cover Mod Make your own using my templates!

Now, a forewarning, this math is really rough, mostly from the top of my head. It's not meant to be exact, just make a point

The circumference of the earth at its widest point (it's not perfectly round) is around 24,900 miles. 

The speed of light is 186,282.39 mi/s in a vacuum. 

186,282.39/24900  approx = 7.481

That means light can travel around the earth around 7 and a half times a second. 

1000 / 7.481 = 133.66

That means it take 133 milliseconds for light to go around the earth once. 

No matter how much some things improve, some things will always be shitty. It's physics. 

This is why we go through the earth to save time. muwahahaha

Travis

Unless we dug through the center of the earth...

42 ms ping :D

Oh, so we should fund Ubisoft's efforts? 

There is hope! 

muh specs 

All parts black

This is why we go through the earth to save time. muwahahaha

See above ^^^^

muh specs 

All parts black