The future is bleak, give up.

Syntaxvgm

Quantum Networks aren't that far off...this will mean 100% secure communication as well as 0 lag.

http://www.tudelft.nl/en/current/latest-news/article/detail/tu-delft-legt-fundament-voor-quantum-internet/

"Researchers at TU Delft have managed to bring two electrons, three meters from each other, into a quantum- entangled state. This result marks a major step towards realizing a quantum network that can be used to connect future quantum computers and to send information in a completely secure way."

Here is some work done on a rudimentary photon quantum router:

http://www.wired.com/2012/08/quantum-router/

A lot of people are looking into this.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

Yea quantum entanglement!!! (But ATM it's only just over a 0.5 chance of a particle being entangled so only half your shots will be on target!!) However it would be 66.5 ms as you don't go 24, 000 miles around the earth to reach something 1 m the other way!!!

Thing

That's why we have quantum physics!

It breaks everything.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Erm math error. That is 133ms to make a full loop around the earth's circumference from point 'A' back to point 'A' in one hop. For the two furthest points on earth you would take that number and divide by 2 for half a circumference. 

So your maximum latency should be ~66.5ms in one hop.  :P

Not bad. Until we find a way to send data faster than light (string theory/quantum/modern physics).

No, it's right I think. I wanted the number for one loop. From point A to B, back to A. 

Ping measures round trip. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

But a ping has to go there and back so circumference of the earth devided by two times two. Thats how latency is measured. Your calculation would be valid for data transmission or something, but that would have other bottlenecks.

That depends on how the data transmission/reception is implemented. If we consider and ICMP Echo request, then yes, your statement and the OP's would be correct.

But in real-life, there is no such thing as perfect duplex data transmission. If there were, we could send data back and forth between the two hosts the instant a packet has been received by either host, something which is not feasible, as it is technically impossible. Now say computer 'A' sends a packet 'P1' to computer 'B'. The packet would take 66.5ms to transit that distance in one direction and then whatever time it takes computer B to process that packet. B then processes P1 and creates a reply packet 'P2' to A, which again takes 66.5ms to transit that distance. 

Now here is kicker:

Depending on how you look at it:

• Relative to 'A' and 'B', the computers know that the time to transfer data from each other is 66.5ms
  • But the time for duplex communications would be the sum of the time relative from each computer. In this case, 133ms.

Now the question becomes: How are we relatively looking at the time to transit?

If say: for a multiplayer game, it would be 133ms as there is a need for near instantaneous duplex transceiving. 

But for other types of data (one way) it would be 66.5

Now, if we add a server between the two computers and synchronize the time between the 2 computers and the host, we can get better artificial ping times. This is the solution used now in games, but it comes at a cost of lag, and region bound game servers.

Either way both 66.5ms and 133ms are 'correct', but its all relative to how we look at the problem.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

That depends on how the data transmission/reception is implemented. If we consider and ICMP Echo request, then yes, your statement and the OP's would be correct.

But in real-life, there is no such thing as perfect duplex data transmission. If there were, we could send data back and forth between the two hosts the instant a packet has been received by either host, something which is not feasible, as it is technically impossible. Now say computer 'A' sends a packet 'P1' to computer 'B'. The packet would take 66.5ms to transit that distance in one direction and then whatever time it takes computer B to process that packet. B then processes P1 and creates a reply packet 'P2' to A, which again takes 66.5ms to transit that distance. 

Now here is kicker:

Depending on how you look at it:

• Relative to 'A' and 'B', the computers know that the time to transfer data from each other is 66.5ms
  • But the time for duplex communications would be the sum of the time relative from each computer. In this case, 133ms.

Now the question becomes: How are we relatively looking at the time to transit?

If say: for a multiplayer game, it would be 133ms as there is a need for near instantaneous duplex transceiving. 

But for other types of data (one way) it would be 66.5

Now, if we add a server between the two computers and synchronize the time between the 2 computers and the host, we can get better artificial ping times. This is the solution used now in games, but it comes at a cost of lag, and region bound game servers.

Either way both 66.5ms and 133ms are 'correct', but its all relative to how we look at the problem.

yeppers. I was looking at it from a game perspective, and a perfect peer to peer scenario, if there were no other bottlenecks in the transmission. So essentially one round, uninterrupted trip somehow. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch