The meaning of life.

Mush Brain

Forrest Gump - "Life is like a box of chocolate":

Of course we all have our opinions what is yours?

i7 5930k . 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 . Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming G1-WIFI . Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP! 4GB SLi . Crucial M550 1TB SSD . LG BD . Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl . SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750w . BenQ GW2765HT 2560x1440 . CM Storm QF TK MX Blue . SteelSeries Rival 
i5 2500k/ EVGA Z68SLi/ FX 8320/ Phenom II B55 x4/ MSI 790FX-GD70/ G.skill Ripjaws X 1600 8GB kit/ Geil Black Dragon 1600 4GB kit/ Sapphire Ref R9 290/ XFX DD GHOST 7770 

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

Want a true meaning? It's to reproduce, and spread our species.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Eh....hard to say.

To me the meaning of life is happiness. If you can't achieve any small measure of it, it isn't a life. But I also feel like we shouldn't understand it.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

You+just+did+_1680622951a6571089ba0de24a

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Hitch hikers guide to the universe!

post-50860-0-87757300-1421382206_thumb.p

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

I take what is coming, if i dont like it i kill it so to speak.

life to me is simply bacteria but then how are my traits already written down by star sign....

i7 5930k . 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 . Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming G1-WIFI . Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP! 4GB SLi . Crucial M550 1TB SSD . LG BD . Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl . SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750w . BenQ GW2765HT 2560x1440 . CM Storm QF TK MX Blue . SteelSeries Rival 
i5 2500k/ EVGA Z68SLi/ FX 8320/ Phenom II B55 x4/ MSI 790FX-GD70/ G.skill Ripjaws X 1600 8GB kit/ Geil Black Dragon 1600 4GB kit/ Sapphire Ref R9 290/ XFX DD GHOST 7770 

This.

No. That is the meaning of our existence. Not life. Saying the meaning of life is to reproduce is to ignore the human consciousness. 

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

IMHO Love is the meaning of life. You have not lived until you have loved and have been loved.

Life in general is meaning less, including human life. But, if one chooses, it can be lived while pursuing intellectually stimulating pursuits; like figuring out the meaning of life. 

No. That is the meaning of our existence. Not life.

Take the topic how you want. If all of life shares a common meaning then all of life should exhibit said meaning. That includes the species capable of space travel to that of the lonely single cell bacteria. So far there are 7 characteristics we observe in life. Organization, metabolism, response to stimuli, homeostasis, growth and development, reproduction, and evolution. The one creatures feverishly spend the most energy at, even at the cost of their own lives (2 male animals competing over a mate) is reproduction. When something is at such a high priority that life will end itself to try to fulfill said goal is why I conclude on reproduction.  

I think to figure out the meaning of life, if there is one, we first need to understand what life even is. We have no clue what make's us sentient, and in order to contemplate our existence sentience is something we need. Discover how sentience occurs and maybe you will discover the meaning of life.

I don't really think there is one personally.

To die. We're all slowly dying. The meaning is to die.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

To accept yourself as a thought of the universe and start understanding that life don't need a meaning after all. We are love, in all facets. For that split second we existed.

Take the topic how you want. If all of life shares a common meaning then all of life should exhibit said meaning. That includes the species capable of space travel to that of the lonely single cell bacteria. So far there are 7 characteristics we observe in life. Organization, metabolism, response to stimuli, homeostasis, growth and development, reproduction, and evolution. The one creatures feverishly spend the most energy at, even at the cost of their own lives (2 male animals competing over a mate) is reproduction. When something is at such a high priority that life will end itself to try to fulfill said goal is why I conclude on reproduction.  

Well what you're talking about is biological life. Would you say a sentient being is lifeless if it didn't have those qualities. Suppose a self-aware AI exist so advanced that its choices are its own and not to benefit humankind. What now? What would you say the meaning of its life is. Its existence WAS to benefit humankind, just as the existence of life WAS to pass on better genes. But with our consciousness, life is more than just passing on genes. We can make life mean more. Or less. You can live your life as a virgin. Or live it by having sex with as many people as you want. Or you can live life to create art, to enrich culture. Tbh we have transcended beyond just "passing on genes".

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

There is no all encompassing meaning of life. We are all just evolved sacks of self sustaining chemical reactions living on a spherical pile of molten rock in the midst of a universe of hostile emptiness.

The best we can due is, as individuals, give our own lives a purpose.

My purpose is to try and benefit everyone in society through rational, scientific thought. If I can make at least a few people live better, more fulfilling lives, then I have succeeded as an individual in the most honest, realistic, and honorable cause any person has ever been faced with.

-edited for clarity

-edited to show why I edited...

-edited to remove pointless afterthought concerning why I edited. I'm going to stop now.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

Well what you're talking about is biological life. Would you say a sentient being is lifeless if it didn't have those qualities. Suppose a self-aware AI exist so advanced that its choices are its own and not to benefit humankind. What now? What would you say the meaning of its life is. Its existence WAS to benefit humankind, just as the existence of life WAS to pass on better genes. But with our consciousness, life is more than just passing on genes. We can make life mean more. Or less. You can live your life as a virgin. Or live it by having sex with as many people as you want. Or you can live life to create art, to enrich culture. Tbh we have transcended beyond just "passing on genes".

An individuals ability to fulfill certain aspects doesn't mean the characteristic no longer represent the species. Plenty of salmon are ate by a bear before they reproduce once. Most of our ancestors lived just like any other animal in the wild. Agriculture is a fairly new thing. It came about 10,000-12,000 years ago considering our species have been around roughly 7 million years. Did the meaning of life change just because we can now ponder it? Our earliest ancestors didn't have art, "culture" or anything beyond basic animal instinct. They roamed and hunted (pre cave man). When did the meaning of life change to suit our species, our sentience, and specifically the most modern generations of our species? That is why I go with reproduction or no meaning at all. Plus I'm sure you're aware that major computer viruses do like to spread, evolve, respond to trying to be removed, eat computer resources, etc. Not that I consider them alive but they mimic life much better than an AI which only mimic's our intelligence. And since you seem like a good person, and this has stayed respectful with no name calling, you will probably get a kick out of this. 

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2014/11/openworm-project-robot-thinks-it-is-a-worm/

-snip-

And since you seem like a good person, and this has stayed respectful with no name calling, you will probably get a kick out of this. 

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2014/11/openworm-project-robot-thinks-it-is-a-worm/

Just because we have differing opinions, doesn't mean I should insult you  ;)

But you know then you just get in this loop where everybody is so busy reproducing nothing else ever gets done so there's not longer a point in reproducing because the next generation will just consume more resources and not do anything except for reproduce again repeating the cycle.