New Carrizo Benchmarks

Opcode

Source

Seen these a few days ago but never got around to posting them. It is SiSoft so take these findings with a grain of salt. The thing that caught my eye was the iGPU performance.

kSa8nS1.png

Which is mind boggling impressive. A10-7850k tests for comparison.

PKc5Twi.png

R7 265 w/ 2GB GDDR5

• 623.68 Mpix/s (1024 SP @ 1025 MHz)

According to SiSoft Carrizo has as much compute performance as a discrete R7 265 with half the shaders. From what I have heard Carrizo runs a custom flavor of GCN 1.2. Needless to say it's quite impressive as these numbers in turn would mean that Carrizo's iGPU compute performance is more than double that of the Iris Pro 5200 and A10-7850k.

mmm might push me to finally do a build if my parents will ever allow it

So no dual graphics mode then?

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

Haha sounds like chorizo

Anyway, hopefully Amd can find something to compete against Intel with

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

R7 265 w/ 2GB GDDR5

• 623.68 Mpix/s (1024 SP @ 1025 MHz)

According to SiSoft Carrizo has as much compute performance as a discrete R7 265 with half the shaders.

Unfortunately Carrizo will only be in AIO's and mobile.

Nope there are two Carrizo one fro mobile and one for desktop.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Nope. Carrizo is a 45W laptop part. Carrizo-L is a 14-watt ultrabook part. No desktop variants.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Until well given SiSoft doesn't have Kaveri benches since the OpenCL 2.0 driver update, this isn't surprising. Having a 0-copy option fully implemented with no translation in the middle opens a lot of bandwidth. Can't wait to see how Intel HD 6000 compares.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Nope. Carrizo is a 45W laptop part. Carrizo-L is a 14-watt ultrabook part. No desktop variants.

Give me a source not speculation or a statement from AMD.

Sorry mixed things up.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Give me a source not speculation or a statement from AMD.

it already is a statement from AMD. Lisa Su confirmed this at CES.

Also, here's the existing roadmap as described. Carrizo is laptop. Carrizo L is ultra book. http://wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/AMD-Carrizo-APU-Roadmap.jpg

it already is a statement from AMD. Lisa Su confirmed this at CES.

Look again.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Look again.

I editted the post with the updated AMD roadmap. Sorry, but Carrizo is not coming to desktop.

Also, quoting AMD is tech report on the matter. http://techreport.com/news/27652/amd-carrizo-will-face-off-with-broadwell-u-wont-land-in-desktops

mmm might push me to finally do a build if my parents will ever allow it

the strat is to make money while doing build so they'll recognize it as an interest ^^

So, not even a refresh of Carrizo for desktops? What's on the roadmap for desktops this year? Or is AMD going to stagnate until ZEN?

Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8ghz, NZXT Kraken X61, ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero, (2x8GB) Kingston DDR4 2400, 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury OC+, Thermaltake 1050W

All in a Semi Truck!:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/519811-semi-truck-gaming-pc/#entry6905347

So, not even a refresh of Carrizo for desktops? What's on the roadmap for desktops this year? Or is AMD going to stagnate until ZEN?

Waiting until Zen I think. The desktop market has been contracting for so long now it's hardly a surprise.

Word from AMD employee when asked at CES said there was no plans for a desktop variant. There's a lot of reasons as to why but the primary one being Carrizo is fab'd on a low power node. Which means Carrizo probably doesn't scale well above 3 GHz which would make it slower at 65w TDP than the 95w TDP Kaveri at 3.7 GHz.

Nope. Carrizo is a 45W 15-35w laptop part. Carrizo-L is a 14-watt 10-25w ultrabook part. No desktop variants.

Rumor is we might see a FT1 variant of Carrizo-L. Something to possibly upgrade existing AM1 platforms.

Until well given SiSoft doesn't have Kaveri benches since the OpenCL 2.0 driver update, this isn't surprising. Having a 0-copy option fully implemented with no translation in the middle opens a lot of bandwidth. Can't wait to see how Intel HD 6000 compares.

It will be interesting to see on Carrizo as well. Currently Sandra only supports OpenCL 1.x. So this is pure ALU performance gains.

We will find out more about Carrizo next month. I think a Kaveri refresh may be in the works for 2015.

Word from AMD employee when asked at CES said there was no plans for a desktop variant. There's a lot of reasons as to why but the primary one being Carrizo is fab'd on a low power node. Which means Carrizo probably doesn't scale well above 3 GHz which would make it slower at 65w TDP than the 95w TDP Kaveri at 3.7 GHz.

Rumor is we might see a FT1 variant of Carrizo-L. Something to possibly upgrade existing AM1 platforms.

We will find out more about Carrizo next month. I think a Kaveri refresh may be in the works for 2015.

Thanks I was wrong I mixed things up.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Kaveri refresh is the most likely option, just like they did with richland.

They probably give the steamroller cores some tweaks and maybe put it on the 28nm SHP node.

And the major upgrade will be on the GPU side with all its bells and whistles.

And then pray for a AM3+ variant, so I can finally decide how to upgrade my old FX-8120

FX-8120 | ASUS Crosshair V Formula | G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3-1866 CL9 | Club3D Radeon R9 290 RoyalAce |Thermaltake Chaser MkIII | 128GB M4 Crucial + 2TB HDD storage | Cooler Master 850M | Scythe Mugen 3 | Corsair Strafe RGB | Logitech G500

Take Kaveri, whack the GPU off it, glue another Kaveri with the GPU whacked off to it, clock it to 4.0Ghz and call it FX2, live until 2016. 

You're welcome, AMD. :D

Take Kaveri, whack the GPU off it, glue another Kaveri with the GPU whacked off to it, clock it to 4.0Ghz and call it FX2, live until 2016. 

You're welcome, AMD. :D

Steamroller was roughly a 11% increase in IPC over Piledriver. So new FX chips based on Bdver2 wouldn't be all that impressive. If Excavator brings another 10%+ increase in IPC that would be the architecture for them to build new FX chips from. Tho the architecture was designed for low clocks and low power so no new FX chips until 2016.

Steamroller was roughly a 11% increase in IPC over Piledriver. So new FX chips based on Bdver2 wouldn't be all that impressive. If Excavator brings another 10%+ increase in IPC that would be the architecture for them to build new FX chips from. Tho the architecture was designed for low clocks and low power so no new FX chips until 2016.

11% increase, aye? That would be more of a jump than the 6% Intel got from Ivy Bridge to Haswell. 

It will be interesting to see on Carrizo as well. Currently Sandra only supports OpenCL 1.x. So this is pure ALU performance gains.

I'm guessing AMD pulled a driver move to make OpenCL 1.x run like 2.0 and just as well use some HSA stuff to have the CPU augment the calculations done by the GPU.