New Carrizo Benchmarks

Opcode

Steam machine with Carizzo APU perhaps?

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

So in comes a conundrum. According to this source the GPGPU gains of Carrizo is roughly only 11% over the desktop Kaveri.

• 2 months later...

Sisoft is now reporting a 6 CU variant of Carrizo (likely Carrizo-L) validating at 428 Mpix/s with a clock frequency of 685 MHz.

JLo9JLw.png

That's still faster than the A10-7850k overclocked (389 Mpix/s).

Sisoft is now reporting a 6 CU variant of Carrizo (likely Carrizo-L) validating at 428 Mpix/s with a clock frequency of 685 MHz.

JLo9JLw.png

That's still faster than the A10-7850k overclocked (389 Mpix/s).

What I want to know is the thermals that the bench markers are getting, because AMD can only make one line of inefficient processors, right? (And from experience-AMD's current APU and Ultrabooks don't mix, because they get quite hot)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Carrizo should be an awesome chip for laptops.

No clue about Carrizo-L though.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

What I want to know is the thermals that the bench markers are getting, because AMD can only make one line of inefficient processors, right? (And from experience-AMD's current APU and Ultrabooks don't mix, because they get quite hot)

I imagine not hot at all as Carrizo-L has been marketed with a 10-25w TDP according to AMD slides. In perspective the chip should put out no more heat than the Athlon 5350 (25w TDP).

According to LegitReviews the Athlon 5350 topped out at 43C in Prime95.

When Prime95 was fired up the CPU temperature topped out at 43C and the fan was now running at 2689 RPM. 

Not bad for such a small heatsink!

I imagine not hot at all as Carrizo-L has been marketed with a 10-25w TDP according to AMD slides. In perspective the chip should put out no more heat than the Athlon 5350 (25w TDP).

Well if its able to score as high as it is with a TDP that low, maybe there is hope.

PMSL

According to LegitReviews the Athlon 5350 topped out at 43C in Prime95.

No no no, AMD clearly forgot the 5 in between the 1 and 0 and the 0 after the 25. ;)

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

No no no, AMD clearly forgot the 5 in between the 1 and 0 and the 0 after the 25. ;)

IT wouldn't actually surprise me if they did end up doing that at some point, maybe a 'mis-communication' like Nvidia's.

PMSL

IT wouldn't actually surprise me if they did end up doing that at some point, maybe a 'mis-communication' like Nvidia's.

The goal has always been to ensure AMD laptops double as 3-hour emergency heaters.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

The goal has always been to ensure AMD laptops double as 3-hour emergency heaters.

They got that downpat years ago with the Phenom II's, so I don't think that's what they are looking to improve.

PMSL

Carrizo TDP is not much higher than Broadwell-U on 14nm and that's saying something with Carrizo on 28nm bulk CMOS.

Carrizo on 14nm FinFET would be damn impressive.

Carrizo TDP is not much higher than Broadwell-U on 14nm and that's saying something with Carrizo on 28nm bulk CMOS.

What's the overall performance though......

PMSL

I know nothing is for certain, but given these leaks, do you think these cpu's will come to laptops within 6 months? 

I am currently favoring this 15.6in laptop with some pretty amazing spec/build quality. It's got intel hd 4400 graphics, which are good enough for the 1366x768 screen when playing dota2, tf2, csgo, etc, but this really seems like an apu you can really game on! 

Give me an aggressively priced/well built ultrabook with a touchscreen and Carrizo level graphics, and I will pre-order 10!

CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.255v | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti | Display: Acer XB270HU bprz | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Gskill Ripjaws X 1866MHz | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | SSD: Mushkin 120GB + Sandisk 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Enthoo Pro |PSU: Seaconic M12II EVO 850w | OS: Windows 10 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech RGB G502 | Keyboard: Thermaltake Poseidon Z (Brown Switches) | 

It's not bulk. It's SOI.

I know nothing is for certain, but given these leaks, do you think these cpu's will come to laptops within 6 months? 

I am currently favoring this 15.6in laptop with some pretty amazing spec/build quality. It's got intel hd 4400 graphics, which are good enough for the 1366x768 screen when playing dota2, tf2, csgo, etc, but this really seems like an apu you can really game on! 

Give me an aggressively priced/well built ultrabook with a touchscreen and Carrizo level graphics, and I will pre-order 10!

One thing that has been debatable since the launch of Tonga was how much L2 does it have. If Volcanic Islands was designed with a larger L2 cache then Carrizo will see a decent performance jump in gaming compared to Sea Islands used in Kaveri. A larger L2 cache makes better use of memory bandwidth.

It's not bulk. It's SOI.

Do you have a source?

All of my sources (even AMD) are pointing to GF28A. Likely for sake of porting the architecture to GF20LPM which is what I'm betting Nolan (Carrizo-L cut down) will use.

I'm hoping this time OEMs give Carrizo (being a proper mobile chip) a proper treatment and put them onto premium designs with top notch specs and great battery life.

Unless, Intel.......... forces OEMs' hands.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

One thing that has been debatable since the launch of Tonga was how much L2 does it have. If Volcanic Islands was designed with a larger L2 cache then Carrizo will see a decent performance jump in gaming compared to Sea Islands used in Kaveri. A larger L2 cache makes better use of memory bandwidth.

Do you have a source?

All of my sources (even AMD) are pointing to GF28A. Likely for sake of porting the architecture to GF20LPM which is what I'm betting Nolan (Carrizo-L cut down) will use.

The last bulk silicon was Vishera on 32nm Bulk. Since then the industry wised up to using SOI, a compromise without incurring the full costs of FDSOI or research time into FinFET designs or the insanity of IBM's combination of the two. While still being planar, SOI does clear up some of the leakage problems seen with 32nm bulk silicon, but that breaks down at 20nm , especially for high performance chips, something Intel and IBM saw but TSMC was arrogant enough to think it could get around which is why 20nm is being reused for 16nm FinFET.

But yes, the TSMC 28nm process is not bulk. It's SOI.

I'm hoping this time OEMs give Carrizo (being a proper mobile chip) a proper treatment and put them onto premium designs with top notch specs and great battery life.

Unless, Intel.......... forces OEMs' hands.

Oh please more Intel blaming? Why doesn't AMD just market its own name-brand tablet which it has built by Dell/Lenovo/Asus and prove it actually has a winning design instead of being a crybaby over the fact Mullins got trampled by Baytrail for reasons far more important than iGPU performance?

Maybe if AMD would act as a mature player in this game it might actually come out with a few wins?

Looks nice.

When everything else Fails,Crowbar IT. - Half-life

Being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed." - Unix for Dummies, 2nd Edition (Found in the .sig of Rob Riggs) 

The last bulk silicon was Vishera on 32nm Bulk. Since then the industry wised up to using SOI, a compromise without incurring the full costs of FDSOI or research time into FinFET designs or the insanity of IBM's combination of the two. While still being planar, SOI does clear up some of the leakage problems seen with 32nm bulk silicon, but that breaks down at 20nm , especially for high performance chips, something Intel and IBM saw but TSMC was arrogant enough to think it could get around which is why 20nm is being reused for 16nm FinFET.

But yes, the TSMC 28nm process is not bulk. It's SOI.

I asked for a source not an irrelevant lecture. AMD is using GloFo for manufacturing Carrizo not TSMC just like they used GloFo 28nm bulk SHP for manufacturing Kaveri.

Oh please more Intel blaming? Why doesn't AMD just market its own name-brand tablet which it has built by Dell/Lenovo/Asus and prove it actually has a winning design instead of being a crybaby over the fact Mullins got trampled by Baytrail for reasons far more important than iGPU performance?

Maybe if AMD would act as a mature player in this game it might actually come out with a few wins?

Are you mad I blamed Intel for the notorious (possibly illegal) practices they do?

Making an own-brand tablet is just stupid. It's shooting yourself on the foot. That will literally ruin relationships with OEMs just like Microsoft did with their Surface.

As for the matter of Mullins vs. BayTrail, we've had this conversation before. I showed you Mullins was clearly better (just look up any review) and Intel Contra Revenue speaks volumes why Mullins weren't used in all the new devices that sports Bay-Trail cpus.

Yeah. If Intel can't compete with better chips, they compete with money power. It's upto you to decide whether that's "mature" or not.

I asked for a source not an irrelevant lecture. AMD is using GloFo for manufacturing Carrizo not TSMC just like they used GloFo 28nm bulk SHP for manufacturing Kaveri.

It's not an irrelevant lecture and it's common knowledge. The GloFo SHP process is SOI.

Are you mad I blamed Intel for the notorious (possibly illegal) practices they do?

Making an own-brand tablet is just stupid. It's shooting yourself on the foot. That will literally ruin relationships with OEMs just like Microsoft did with their Surface.

As for the matter of Mullins vs. BayTrail, we've had this conversation before. I showed you Mullins was clearly better (just look up any review) and Intel Contra Revenue speaks volumes why Mullins weren't used in all the new devices that sports Bay-Trail cpus.

Yeah. If Intel can't compete with better chips, they compete with money power. It's upto you to decide whether that's "mature" or not.

If AMD has no relationship in the first place, it's irrelevant, and as it's shown they have success with their own branded tablet others will join on. Also, Mullins was only better for heavily threaded benchmarks and graphics, two things tablets aren't intense on anyway. Next inane point?

Intel has done nothing wrong using contra revenue to break ARM's stranglehold on the tablet market, and that strategy is entering its sunset stage because Intel stopped givingn Atom chips away for free. They're sold at production cost (not covering fab R&D obviously) in the tablet sector, though in phones Intel will have to give chips away and wait on developers' hands and feet until enough of them convert for real competition.

It's not an irrelevant lecture and it's common knowledge. The GloFo SHP process is SOI.

AMD left SOI behind with 32nm looking for density. The GF 28nm SHP process used on Kaveri is also bulk.