7.1 virtual, 5.1 true or just a good stereo for gaming

Clyde

Stereo, you have two ears . (for headphones) 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

A good set of open-back stereo headphone like the HD519, ATH-AD500x or similar

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Sorry but I love 5.1 true surround or 7.1 virtual and would never just go for stereo.  Just my two cents.  I have heard just stereo and it is not the same.  For pc gaming I will never go back to that if I don't have to.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Sorry but I love 5.1 true surround or 7.1 virtual and would never just go for stereo.  Just my two cents.  I have heard just stereo and it is not the same.  For pc gaming I will never go back to that if I don't have to.

that is why all the $5000 audiophile headphones are stero

the thing  you have to understand is....7.1 works in a room, but not in headphones, in a room you can have speakers in front, to the side and behind you, you have 360 audio and your will perceive the audio from the speakers differently

in a headset, there is so little distance between the multiple spekaers in each ear cup that you really only have 2 points of sound.. left and right

Not to mention that 7.1 headsets generally have WORSE quality audio, because they have to use smaller drivers and some drivers will distort due to vibrations for neighbouring drivers 

if you want in game surround, use software surruond

here is a diagram I just made

post-17790-0-16864800-1421243184.png

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Generally, open backed stereo headphones will have a great soundstage which eliminates the need for 5.1 or 7.1 in a headset, that's not to say that closed back can't have a good soundstage though. To me 5.1/7.1 is only good for environments where the listeners won't be using headphones and it's done in an environment where it can be setup well like a movie theatre.

Push-To-Talk is a wonderful thing.

Once you grow 3-5 more ears you'll want to go with 5.1 or 7.1 SRS. :P JK

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

If your game does not have a good stereo virtual surround, try Razer Surround or (as a last resort) get a dedicated soundcard that provides Dolby surround or something similar.

"Surround" headsets do nothing different while generally sounding worse overall.

there are ways to emulate a "virtual surround" with several processing technics(panning anhd phasing) but it will never be te real thing. "Virtual surround" is software base, any pair of headphone that claims to be "surround" is a rip-off unless they come with a software that emulates it like some razor HP I beleive. And I have never seen or heard about headphones having more than 2 drivers(L/R)

there are ways to emulate a "virtual surround" with several processing technics(panning anhd phasing) but it will never be te real thing. "Virtual surround" is software base, any pair of headphone that claims to be "surround" is a rip-off unless they come with a software that emulates it like some razor HP I beleive. And I have never seen or heard about headphones having more than 2 drivers(L/R)

There are plenty of headphones that have "real" virtual surround with multiple drivers. What they don't tell you is that you need two ears for directional cues, so having more than one speaker per ear is useless.

I believe they still work because 7.1 and 5.1 already inherently have surround DSP applied, but I'm not positive of that.

True. What most people don't know/realize is that they're basically buying/paying the price for the surround DSP circuit. The headphone itself is plain stereo. It's the DSP, whether it's those USB thingy, or built in. 

There are some 'true' surround headsets, namely Razer Tiamat 7.1, with a total of 10 drivers. The idea is, instead of emulating HRTF in 2 channels, it accepts 8 channels input. So the sound setting in onboard/sound card is set to 8 channels, and all the jacks are used. Logically, having 5 drivers in 1 cup, placed just a few mm from each other and your ears, it will sounds like taping 5 satellites speakers to your ears.