Micro-atx gaming rig "Black Recluse"

waggythegeek

With OC, can I make it on par with a stock 960?

Yeah no doubt

CPU-i5 4690k 4.4ghz @ 1.190V, MOBO-MSI z97 gaming 3, Cooler-hyper 212 evo, GPU- r9 290x asus directcuII (-37Mv), Storage-120gb v300(switching soon), 1tb caviar blue, CASE-Red/black h440, PSU-Antec TPC 650.

From what I remember the 280 is basically a rebranded 7950. The 960 is basically slightly slower than the 760 it replaced which was just about on par with a GTX 670. And, AFAIK the 670 was about on par with the 7950 whilst the 680 was on par with the 7970.

So, there should be very little, if anything, in it, only the 280 has 3gb.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

Yeah no doubt

Coolio

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

Update 7: Mobo pic!

see first post.

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

• 2 weeks later...

With OC, can I make it on par with a stock 960?

A 280 beats a 960 at stock...

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

rly? doesn't the 280 have lower clock+ IPC at stock?

• 3 weeks later...

rly? doesn't the 280 have lower clock+ IPC at stock?

som_1920kukvw.png
Alrighty then. Cool!

Are there any pics of the machine?

Sub, and you will see them when they are here. All I have is the gpu, ram, and mobo. I thought I posted those, I will check to see if they are missing, and if they are, I will post them.

Are there any pics of the machine?

just updated the first post. That's where the updates are.

Pics of what I have put together now in the first post.

i don't know about that brother as the NVidia drivers are the best out there so.... never had an AMD/ATI so.... but for me its all about the drivers !

When i'm not playing PC games i'm playing with my PC parts  Fans,Pumps,Filters,  :wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

i don't know about that brother as the NVidia drivers are the best out there so.... never had an AMD/ATI so.... but for me its all about the drivers !

There is nothing wrong with and drivers...

Have u eer used a amd card?

No?

Then u can't make the statement.

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

• 1 month later...

Update 8: PSU here! It's a corsair RM 450. Pics in first post as always!

Update 9: CPU here! i5-4460. Now, I know size doesn't really matter... but it's kinda tiny :(It's okay though. See first post for pics!

Would anybody be interested in pics of me trying to get it to POST?

EDIT: sorry, really unclear post. What I meant was, I think I am going to try to make the parts POST. Is this a bad idea? would anybody be interested in pictures?

how is the psu doing with this build? what are the watts ur using? 

how is the psu doing with this build? what are the watts ur using?

Sorry if you misunderstood the build guide. The machine is as of yet incomplete, the build guide is still a work in progress. However, if you are looking for a nice estimate of my power usage, pc part picker has one. Simply click the PCPP link in the first post to see the estimated wattage for my machine.

EDIT: I don't know if anybody has welcomed you here yet, but welcome!

• 3 weeks later...

So, I got the rest of the parts for my birthday(happy birthday to meee...), and hardware-wise, everything is assembled. Waiting on my copy of windows, also a birthday gift. I have about eighty dollars and some wiggle room for tax to buy upgrades. I plan on getting this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046Y7OF0/ref=ox_sc_imb_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

What else should I get?

Pics coming soon!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Update 10: Well, it was all put together and working for about three glorious days in july, then, like a complete idiot, I accidentally stepped on the power switch in the middle of a game of DotA. Ever since then, it hasn't functioned, and I have been working non-stop, trying everything. I am about to try flashing the BIOS, and if that doesn't work, i'm gonna RMA the MOBO and see where that gets me. I also modded my graphics card cooler, painted it partially blue. Gonna order some LED strips.

Looks good, however RM series PSU's have a pretty bad reputation, try something like the CX series and get a 600watt model. And my personal preference is that I don't like ASrock boards, I usually prefer either Gigabyte or Asus, although MSI is okay too. 

did it got fixed in the rmi ?

When i'm not playing PC games i'm playing with my PC parts  Fans,Pumps,Filters,  :wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Update 10: Well, it was all put together and working for about three glorious days in july, then, like a complete idiot, I accidentally stepped on the power switch in the middle of a game of DotA. Ever since then, it hasn't functioned, and I have been working non-stop, trying everything. I am about to try flashing the BIOS, and if that doesn't work, i'm gonna RMA the MOBO and see where that gets me. I also modded my graphics card cooler, painted it partially blue. Gonna order some LED strips.

how the hell you did that and what is a power switch ? the on/off button ? how is that related to the bios ?

did it got fixed in the rmi ?

Yeah the newer ones are supposedly alright. 

Btw this thread is so old. 

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken