HP 17.3" Horrible 5400rpm HDD

NetworkNooBie

Hi everyone. My current Microsoft Laptop that I purchased for school with some OK specs is only running a 5400rpm HDD, now, I have been thinking of upgrading it to an SSD to increase the speed of the system but the way I need to take apart and change the HDD is not ideal. I have to remove 14 screws on the bottom case and then flip over and remove the keyboard along with the top part of the case to access the HDD. It sketches me out as I have never done this to a laptop before which has lead me to toughing out the atrocious productivity of the HDD.

My question is, is it worth opening the case which will never go back together the same as it is now to install an SSD or a 7200rpm HDD/hybrid drive?

My second question is, any idea why manufacturers make it so difficult/pain in the ass to swap out a HDD? especially when it is something so upgradgeable/replaceable.

Hi everyone. My current Microsoft Laptop that I purchased for school with some OK specs is only running a 5400rpm HDD, now, I have been thinking of upgrading it to an SSD to increase the speed of the system but the way I need to take apart and change the HDD is not ideal. I have to remove 14 screws on the bottom case and then flip over and remove the keyboard along with the top part of the case to access the HDD. It sketches me out as I have never done this to a laptop before which has lead me to toughing out the atrocious productivity of the HDD.

My question is, is it worth opening the case which will never go back together the same as it is now to install an SSD or a 7200rpm HDD/hybrid drive?

My second question is, any idea why manufacturers make it so difficult/pain in the ass to swap out a HDD? especially when it is something so upgradgeable/replaceable.

I would say it's totally worth it, If you pay attention and do it slowly it will go back together prefectly.

Manufacturers make laptops as thin light/cheap as possible and sometimes that will make it harder to change hardware.

Get a nice big ssd straight away and don't bother with hybrid drives or 7200rpm ones.

HP has the worst internal design in laptops dont waste your money on hybrid drives just get a dvd rom caddy and replace dvd rom with the hdd your laptop came with and put an ssd to place of hdd.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Not sure how it wouldn't go back to the same afterwards..? Just pay attention to where things go.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

My laptop's hard drive is pretty easily accessible. And by the way, it's an HP laptop...

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

You shouldn't buy the cheapest thing possible and then complain that it's cheap  :lol:

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

You shouldn't buy the cheapest thing possible and then complain that it's cheap  :lol:

Even my 1.1k $ Lenovo y500 has a piece of sh*t 5400rpm HDD from Seagate blegh.

HP has the worst internal design in laptops dont waste your money on hybrid drives just get a dvd rom caddy and replace dvd rom with the hdd your laptop came with and put an ssd to place of hdd.

Hmmm... My old Pavilion only had 1 screw holding a plate on which, when removed, allowed easy access the the HDD.

OP: Just make sure you remember where things go and you'll be good. If you're laptop supports 9.5mm drives I'd look into the WD Black2. Not the greatest when it comes to pricing imo but it's a great concept. An SSD and a HDD in one small package.

Even my 1.1k $ Lenovo y500 has a piece of sh*t 5400rpm HDD from Seagate blegh.

y series is performance/value line too so it cheapens out on hdd. pretty normal.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

y series is performance/value line too so it cheapens out on hdd. pretty normal.

Every manufacturer uses cheap hdd's even on top of the line macbooks you get shit hdd's well they solved it now in the newer models with ssd's but you get the point.

My laptop's hard drive is pretty easily accessible. And by the way, it's an HP laptop...

Same. All Ineeded to do was just loosen a screw and pull off the panel expsing wifi, memory, and hard drive. But I would go with a hybrid drive if you can't afford a large capacity SSD.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I would say it's totally worth it, If you pay attention and do it slowly it will go back together prefectly.

Manufacturers make laptops as thin light/cheap as possible and sometimes that will make it harder to change hardware.

Get a nice big ssd straight away and don't bother with hybrid drives or 7200rpm ones.

Ok, so an SSD is the way to go, I knew that but I just wasn't sure what everyone thought of the hybrid drives.

Not sure how it wouldn't go back to the same afterwards..? Just pay attention to where things go.

It's just how it lines up together it just doesn't feel like it will go back together the same way, especially how it all fits around the keys on the keyboard.

My other laptops are the same way, usually just a screw or two to get at the HDD/RAM and you can swap it out, this one on the other hand is atrocious for getting inside.

It runs really well except for what the HDD takes from the experience. I'm just nervous about popping my laptop cherry lol

Ok, so an SSD is the way to go, I knew that but I just wasn't sure what everyone thought of the hybrid drives.

It's just how it lines up together it just doesn't feel like it will go back together the same way, especially how it all fits around the keys on the keyboard.

My other laptops are the same way, usually just a screw or two to get at the HDD/RAM and you can swap it out, this one on the other hand is atrocious for getting inside.

It runs really well except for what the HDD takes from the experience. I'm just nervous about popping my laptop cherry lol

What model? I can possibly find a service manual for you.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

If you have not already, I would suggest looking for the service manual online (some, if not all, models are available directly on HP's support website) and follow the instructions. Make sure you document which screws came out of which hole. Reassembly usually means reversing the instructions.

CPU Intel i7-7700 | Cooling Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 | Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z270F Gaming | RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 3.6GHz 32GB | GPU EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 FTW3 Ultra Gaming |

Case Fractal Design Define R5 | Storage Samsung 980 PRO 500GB, Samsung 970 EVO+ "v2" 2TB | PSU Corsair RM850x 2021 | Display ASUS VP247QG + Samsung SyncMaster T220 | OS Garuda Linux

Same. All Ineeded to do was just loosen a screw and pull off the panel expsing wifi, memory, and hard drive. But I would go with a hybrid drive if you can't afford a large capacity SSD.

Large capacity SSD, I am thinking of going with a 256GB SSD for now, I have a 128Gb SSD in an older laptop running Ubuntu so I might also just swap drives with that.

Large capacity SSD, I am thinking of going with a 256GB SSD for now, I have a 128Gb SSD in an older laptop running Ubuntu so I might also just swap drives with that.

Well, if you want, you can remove the optical drive and have a hard drive caddy instead.

If you have not already, I would suggest looking for the service manual online (some, if not all, models are available directly on HP's support website) and follow the instructions. Make sure you document which screws came out of which hole. Reassembly usually means reversing the instructions.

What model? I can possibly find a service manual for you.

I already have the service manual, when I first thought about swapping the drives it was my first step as there was no hatch on the bottom to access the HDD/RAM. It's still sketchy just as I have carpet everywheres.

Well, if you want, you can remove the optical drive and have a hard drive caddy instead

This seems like a great alternative. How do i go about doing this?

Well, if you want, you can remove the optical drive and have a hard drive caddy instead.

I just browsed for the caddy and see exactly what you mean now, thanks! This is a fantastic option!

This seems like a great alternative. How do i go about doing this?

Well, first you remove the optical drive, then you buy a hard drive caddy that fits your model. It might not be easy, but it should work.

Well, first you remove the optical drive, then you buy a hard drive caddy that fits your model. It might not be easy, but it should work.

Thanks for the option, I have never heard of or seen a caddy until now, Thanks! I appreciate it.

Thanks for the option, I have never heard of or seen a caddy until now, Thanks! I appreciate it.

Can I see it, make sure it would fit in an optical bay?

Can I see it, make sure it would fit in an optical bay?

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=48_19_796&item_id=057337

is the caddy I am going to order and use the current SSD I have with ubuntu in the other computer.

Or I may buy this one :

http://www.amazon.ca/Patec%C2%AE-12-7mm-Universal-DVD-ROM-Optical/dp/B00LIPPDLM/ref=pd_cp_ce_0

just watch some tutorials on it and make sure you follow them, i have a lenovo laptop that shipped with a 5400 rpm seagate hard drive, since windows 8.1 has hybrid shutdown it seems fast enough but i will soon do the same as yours, hp laptops are a pain but are doable since i have done a few of them, the reason i avoid hp and go with lenovo now is the 2 screws on the bottom allow the whole bottom slide off and there you see everything you need.

my only suggestion to you is if its painfully slow try removing hps bloatware  

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=48_19_796&item_id=057337

is the caddy I am going to order and use the current SSD I have with ubuntu in the other computer.

Or I may buy this one :

http://www.amazon.ca/Patec%C2%AE-12-7mm-Universal-DVD-ROM-Optical/dp/B00LIPPDLM/ref=pd_cp_ce_0

That works, and I suggest you put a 128GB SSD in your primary bay as your OS drive, and put a 1TB 7200RPM hard drive in that bay for storage.