Have you ever dun goof'd while building your PC?

MattTheMayor

Have you ever dun goof'd while building your PC? For example, like forgetting something, doing something stupid.

For me, on my build (check out my sig yo). Finished building. Moment of truth. Pressed the on button, nothing. Noticed my PSU switch was off. 2nd try. 24 pin power connector got loose. 

Have any forgetful moments while building your computer? Share them here!

So, cleaning my PC up, realized wasn't booting, realized the 8 pin wasn't connected. Then still wouldn't boot. Then realized, again, the 20 pin was plugged in but not 4 pin.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Ye... Forgetting to connect the 4-pin mobo top thing and going crazy yelling "IT POSTED BEFORE BUILDING IT IN THE CASE!!!!!1!!!!!one!". 

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

So, cleaning my PC up, realized wasn't booting, realized the 8 pin wasn't connected. Then still wouldn't boot. Then realized, again, the 20 pin was plugged in but not 4 pin.

you beat me xD exactly the same thing.  Not the exactly thing but pretty similar though

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

Ye... Forgetting to connect the 4-pin mobo top thing and going crazy yelling "IT POSTED BEFORE BUILDING IT IN THE CASE!!!!!1!!!!!one!". 

Haha I guess I forgetting a connector is a common thing then.

I couldn't figure out for the life of me why my computer wouldn't boot... Checked everything!  Power bar was turned off :(

Haha I guess I forgetting a connector is a common thing then.

Also not realizing you forget to connect your GPU, but then again, I have a GT610, and the fan is slowly forcing me to kill it.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Forgetting the motherboard standoffs... That poor socket 478 mobo got a 5V trace burnt on the USB headers...

I've forgot to put the I/O shield before  :P

not a big problem though, once you plug in one usb device the I/O shield stays put

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Didn't attach any of the case headers correctly because I was too lazy to find the manual and the board wasn't labeled well. Also forgot to plug in case fans. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Does using an entire $30 tube of arctic silver in the 1 go count?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Messed up the pin in my board socket when I was filming a video on how to build a computer a month or two back. Manged to step up to the plate and bends the pins back with a sewing needle. Almost a 150$ mistake

System Spec: H87 mobo from Zotac, I3 4130, 4GB ddr3 1600mhz Cas 11, WD green 2TB all in side of a Cooler Mater Elite 120

after reassembling my PC it took me 30 mints to realize why i'm not having display coz 6 pin was not connected in to the GPU .LOL

CPU: i7 4790K | Ram:Corsair Vengeance 8GB | GPU: Asus R9 270 | Cooling :Corsair H100i | Storage : Intel SSD, Seagate HDDs | PSU : Corsair VS 550 | Case: CM HAF Advanced.

We've all forgotten the I/O shield at least once.

Put every thin in, go to put the box away 

"MOTHERFUCK-"

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

after reassembling my PC it took me 30 mints to realize why i'm not having display coz 6 pin was not connected in to the GPU .LOL

lol, that happens every time I put my computer's together.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

forgot to plug in my ssd's sata power lol , not once , not twice but 3 times 

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

We've all forgotten the I/O shield at least once.

Put every thin in, go to put the box away 

"MOTHERFUCK-"

I've seen PCs work without I/O shields. You'll be fine.

Well of course. That's why they are so easy to forget. But if you want it in there, and you forgot it, you have to take it all out. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Forgot io shield, 8 pin got lose couldn't figure out why it didn't boot lol, and 2 of my hdds were not plugged in lol

I got a Fractal Design Define R4 and tried to water cool with it.

I done guft.

I thought that a 7970 was going to be able to handle 1050p surround. Guft.

I tried painting my side panel, but the paint leaked under the POS masking tape. go team. I done guft.

its another exhaust. :)

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Oh I've done some truly boneheaded things while putting together/maintaining PCs.

Some of my more spectacularly stupid things:
-Tried using a power drill in an attempt to speed up loosening and tightening screws. Resulting magnetic field wiped out the mechanical drive.
-Test booted a system, worked out perfectly. Put everything together in the case, fired it up, and nothing. Tried troubleshooting everything I could think of and it wouldn't even POST. Thinking I killed my mobo I was pissed. Noticed that I hadn't plugged the power cable into the back. Plugged it in and everything was fine.
-Was testing out a pretty aggressive PC cleaning software. Accidentally wiped out system32 and MS-DOS with it because I wasn't paying close enough attention to what I was deleting.
-Tried doing a clean wipe of my hard drive using a USB boot drive for the first time. Couldn't get windows to install for the longest time. Finally realized that I was too maxed out on HDD space to do much. Had to borrow a copy of partition magic from a friend to wipe the drive completely before I was able to finish the job.

They say failure is merely a lesson in success. I have learned a lot of lessons. :lol:

Hand of Nod: i7-4790K, 16GB G.Skill Sniper 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM, Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, MSI Gaming 5 Z97 mobo, LEPA 120mm red LED fans (x3) Corsair SPEC-03 case, Seasonic 650W 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, ASUS VG248QE 144hz monitor, Patriot Blaze 120GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM HDD, Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM HDD (x2)

I paid $100 for this and I didn't even need it. Wasted money ftw. Not to mention I didn't realize club3d ones were better and cheaper. FML

156e69d.jpg

I let the paste get on the lava.

pc specs: 4 function calculator / 8 digit lcd display / colored numeric and function buttons