Who thinks Half-Life 3 is actually in the works (by Valve?)

I was talking to my friends about HL3 and I was surprised to hear the mixed feelings about it's release. I personanlly think it will come out in one way or another, but I wanted to hear everyone's opinions.

I was talking to my friends about HL3 and I was surprised to hear the mixed feelings about it's release. I personanlly think it will come out in one way or another, but I wanted to hear everyone's opinions.

Its not

They even said that its not, nobody there wants to work on it

They probably don't feel like they can live up to the hype, or maybe are wating until they can fully develop Source Engine 2, which they will be doing, since I can imagine they will want to make future Counter Strike, TF2, Dota ETC games

They cant stay on the same engine forever

I imagine if hl3 ever comes out, it will be as a launch title for source engine 3

OR maybe Valve will never make games again

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

the ubisoft option makes this so much less legitemate

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

They're gonna make us wait who knows how long, probably once source engine 3 is out they will say something about HL3.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

What's with the obsession for this game series?

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

(from reddit) 

Actually if you look at the half life of half life, HL1 came out in '98, HL2 in 2004, which is 6 years, so HL3 should be in 12 years, or 2016. 12 years is also the Half Life of Tritum, also known as H3. 

or this one:  

It's tritium* We can get an exact date if the theory checks out. Half life of Tritium is 4500 ± 8 days giving us a date between: March 5, 2017 and March 21, 2017.

context: http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/2rlpv1/half_life_3_will_be_released_in_13_billion_years/

I thought the system shock games were better(don't kill me) 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

What's with the obsession for this game series?

I just really like the Half Life series

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

The series ended with the end of HL2 Episode. People need to stop thinking that it will ever release. No it won't if it had to, valve would have already informed us years ago.

It will not be a linux exclusive. Gabe Newell is too idealistic to do something like that.

I am very confident they are working on it. The only question is when.

I think the reason they have not released it so far is.

-it's hard to live upto the hype

-they don't just want to release a good game, they want it to be ground-breaking, and it's hard to make a ground-breaking first person shooter

-they have enough money rolling in so they don't need to release it fast; they can afford to keeo going back to the drawing board until they are happy

-they have no shareholders or publishers forcing them to release by X date

Look up Gabe Newell's interviews on this subject

I don't recall the exact wording or which interview it was from, but the answer was a long the guidelines of:

-- I would only make Half Life 3 if it broke new ground in some way. Making it now would only be another sequel --

and it makes sense if you think about that statement.

Half Life 1 broke new ground in storytelling at the time. It was the first time you experienced a story through gameplay seamlessly

Half Life 2 expanded upon it with the tech improvements....it was at a point where we could create rich, living worlds...with REAL physics. You have to remember, this was ground breaking at the time

What would Half Life 3 bring to the table?

Nothing....it would just be a little more of HL2. Better environments, story, and physics - but nothing ground breaking.....so what's the point? He doesn't see a reason to make a sequel to Half Life if it's just going to be more of the same

They started working on Richochet 2 on Source 2 long time ago, Gaben himself said that.

Sure. "Ricochet 2."

http://kotaku.com/5903627/gabe-newell-updates-interviewer-on-the-status-of-wink-wink-ricochet-2

A Half-Life game (be it 3 or Episode 3 or something else) is most likely in some stage of development. It might be in development hell, but it's probably in development. These theories about it being an abandoned project would have a lot more weight to them if Episode 2 hadn't ended on such an excruciating loose thread. Plus we know the Portal series/Aperture Science was supposed to tie in eventually.

Look up Gabe Newell's interviews on this subject

I don't recall the exact wording or which interview it was from, but the answer was a long the guidelines of:

-- I would only make Half Life 3 if it broke new ground in some way. Making it now would only be another sequel --

and it makes sense if you think about that statement.

Half Life 1 broke new ground in storytelling at the time. It was the first time you experienced a story through gameplay seamlessly

Half Life 2 expanded upon it with the tech improvements....it was at a point where we could create rich, living worlds...with REAL physics. You have to remember, this was ground breaking at the time

Nothing....it would just be a little more of HL2. Better environments, story, and physics - but nothing ground breaking.....so what's the point? He doesn't see a reason to make a sequel to Half Life if it's just going to be more of the same

HL3 as Virtual reality at it's best? Certainly new ground :D

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

they will never make 3, because it cant live up to the hype, and will be bad reviews

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Nothing....it would just be a little more of HL2. Better environments, story, and physics - but nothing ground breaking.....so what's the point? 

To continue the story? People were invested in HL's story and characters, and HL2:EP2 ended on a cliffhanger. We shouldn't be punished for valve's failed attempt at episodic releases, IMO not resolving the story just because they are too afraid to release a game that's not 'groundbreaking' enough would be kind of a dick move :P

Why does the game actually have to be "ground breaking?" That same standard certainly doesn't seem to apply to any other triple-A franchise out there. It's OK to release an exquisitely crafted, single-player narrative experience.

Hey - I'm just giving GabeN's answer - Not my own.

He simply doesn't want to release a "standard" sequel for Half Life like others do. That's his take on it /shrug

I've seen no compelling evidence that Valve is working on HL3. That doesn't mean they never will though. 

There was an interview with GabeN and he said hl2:episode 1 and 2 are basically hl3.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ