"Absolute Silence" A mid-range Intel R4 build, with loads of Noctua. (FINISHED)

In December last year I built my first gaming rig, with graphic design capabilities. Here is the imgur album with original build pictures. It performs just as I'd like, works great in games at mid-high settings and handled Photoshop and Illustrator like a champ. My only issue with it was that it was loud when it was idle, and insanely loud at load.

In an effort to curb this, I bought a PWM Fan for my Antec Kuhler 620, which minimised my noise levels by a small amount, but the pump on the Antec was still the loudest part of my system. I put up with this for a few months until I could afford new parts, having just spent $1600NZD on my build.

Here's a video of the build as well.

Current Parts List

• Intel i5 3570k
  • Noctua NH-U12s
  • 3x Noctua NF-A14 FLX
  • Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H
  • Corsair Vengeance 8gb DDR3 1600mhz
  • Sapphire Radeon 7870 OC Ghz edition
  • Antec HCG-M 620w PSU
  • Samsung 830 120b (Boot drive)
  • Samsung 840 120gb (Games drive)
  • Fractal R4.

Current Status

1QUN0DVh.jpg

znTL47Nh.jpg

2XzrVbJh.jpg

1ai2dqDh.jpg

Future Plans

My plans are:

• Install more sound dampening material around the case.
  • Install a fanless 500w Seasonic PSU

If anyone has any suggestions, please do post, I'd love some encouragement and some good ideas, as well as something I may have overlooked smile.gif

Thanks for reading!

Demos

CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | CPU:  i5 4570| CPU COOLER: Noctua NH-U12s | MOTHERBOARD: Asus H87-I Plus| RAM: Muskin Blackline 8GB | SSD: Samsung 830 128gb | 

SSD: Samsung 840 128gb SSD(Games) | GPU: Asus R9 270X DCUII | PSU: Seasonic 660w | MONITORS: LG 23" IPS 5ms |

Actually looks really nice!

Is the PSU modular?   Edit: Nvm...

Edit 2: Why not undervolt the 3570k if you are not overclocking? 

Edit 3: Why not place the PSU fan down to avoid dust, get some dedicated airflow, and get a little better cable management? 

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

Actually looks really nice!

Is the PSU modular?   Edit: Nvm...

Edit 2: Why not undervolt the 3570k if you are not overclocking? 

Edit 3: Why not place the PSU fan down to avoid dust, get some dedicated airflow, and get a little better cable management? 

The fan on the PSU is stupidly loud, so it's inside to try and get less noise to me. My plan is to replace it with a Seasonic Fanless unit when I have the time

I am planning to OC the CPU, as I have spare time this holidays to learn.

Thanks for the kind words :)

Absolutey Silence

Its quiet with fans NEVER SILENT..

It's pretty darned quiet at the moment, the only loud component is the PSU. Which is being replaced by a fanless unit.

1208GB SSD?!

Spelling mistake ;D

CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | CPU:  i5 4570| CPU COOLER: Noctua NH-U12s | MOTHERBOARD: Asus H87-I Plus| RAM: Muskin Blackline 8GB | SSD: Samsung 830 128gb | 

SSD: Samsung 840 128gb SSD(Games) | GPU: Asus R9 270X DCUII | PSU: Seasonic 660w | MONITORS: LG 23" IPS 5ms |

In December last year I built my first gaming rig, with graphic design capabilities. Here is the imgur album with original build pictures. It performs just as I'd like, works great in games at mid-high settings and handled Photoshop and Illustrator like a champ. My only issue with it was that it was loud when it was idle, and insanely loud at load.

In an effort to curb this, I bought a PWM Fan for my Antec Kuhler 620, which minimised my noise levels by a small amount, but the pump on the Antec was still the loudest part of my system. I put up with this for a few months until I could afford new parts, having just spent $1600NZD on my build.

Current Parts List

• Intel i5 3570k
  • Noctua NH-U12s
  • 3x Noctua NF-A14 FLX
  • Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H
  • Antec HCG-M 620w PSU
  • Fractal R4.

Current Status

1QUN0DVh.jpg

znTL47Nh.jpg

2XzrVbJh.jpg

1ai2dqDh.jpg

Future Plans

My plans are:

If anyone has any suggestions, please do post, I'd love some encouragement and some good ideas, as well as something I may have overlooked smile.gif

Thanks for reading!

Demos

looking good! :D

Should add more storage because to me 120 is not enough for anything. I don't think more dapening material is needed. Instead you should get another noctua fan for your cooler and just add in a fan controller. I also think the psu is fine, it shouldn't make too much noise since you're not drawing nearly 620 from it. Writing this after a 4 hour car ride on my iPhone at Denny's so bear with me LOL

probably will be next build of the week.

because of two reasons:

1. Good pictures qualitiy - It makes it look better.

2. Noctua fans all over the place! - Linus love those

But it looks sooooo god!

R4 is an awesome case to build in, good job!

Should add more storage because to me 120 is not enough for anything. I don't think more dapening material is needed. Instead you should get another noctua fan for your cooler and just add in a fan controller. I also think the psu is fine, it shouldn't make too much noise since you're not drawing nearly 620 from it. Writing this after a 4 hour car ride on my iPhone at Denny's so bear with me LOL

I've got 2 120gb SSD's :)

I've been thinking of lining the top and the bottom, just so any vibrations don't get out.

Ooh yes, fan controller is necessary at this point.

The Antec is suuuuper loud, it's so frustrating. I'm quite sure a fanless unit will fix this. Plus the Antec is not very efficent vs something like a Seasonic Platinum unit.

probably will be next build of the week.

because of two reasons:

1. Good pictures qualitiy - It makes it look better.

2. Noctua fans all over the place! - Linus love those

But it looks sooooo god!

R4 is an awesome case to build in, good job!

D'aww I hope so. But there are much better builds out there! This is only an i5 and a 7870 :D

Thanks for the kind words :) I loved building in the R4, so much nicer than the Arc Midi.

D'aww I hope so. But there are much better builds out there! This is only an i5 and a 7870 :D

It's not the components that make a build good or bad, it's the asthetics, practicality, and original touches :D

Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 | AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.9GHz | Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 & Club3D 7950 RoyalKing in the same rig. such dogecoin miningz | 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz | Corsair H70 | Antec P280 White Windowed | Asus Xonar DG | Samson SR-850 | Blue Yeti

I was actually thinking about that awhile back, but I would like to do some OCing at some point, and I wouldnt feel comfortable OCing on a passive cooler.

Thanks for the link and kind words though :)

• 2 weeks later...

Quick Update,

Finally got my windowed-sidepanel from Fractal Design, only took a month to get here. I've also installed some NZXT White LED's until I can afford to buy an NZXT hue, they are $80 here in New Zealand.

yOcp2Kc.jpg

• 2 months later...

So I've added a Corsair 750W PSU, Overkill I know, but I got it for $100NZD, so it was an absolute steal!

I'm finally finished! This computer is incredibly quiet, I can literally have it on overnight in my bedroom. It is so quiet, you only know its on by the LED's. During gaming it's practically inaudible, the loudest component when gaming is the GPU. Honestly I'm so pleased with how this came out.

1S9HgQ1h.jpg

zEjckiOh.jpg

mUO1ZSlh.jpg

What a lovely build! Has almost everything I love. And dat bokeh in those pictures :o

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

What a lovely build! Has almost everything I love. And dat bokeh in those pictures :o

:D Thanks! I see your an R4 and Noctua enthusiast as well. Good taste!

Cheers ;D I plan on taking some more tonight in my studio, these were just update pics. Fun fact, the camera used was a Fuji X100 :)

It's a very well balanced build, very sharp looking and very clean. The one downside I have of it, is the color of the motherboard, I find it eye scorching to look at. 

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

wish the mobo was black other than the colour of that board it looks great nice job.

Thanks! Yeah, I built it in December last year, now it's nigh impossible to get my hands on a Z77 Board in New Zealand -.-

It's a very well balanced build, very sharp looking and very clean. The one downside I have of it, is the color of the motherboard, I find it eye scorching to look at. 

I'm thinking of downsizing to mATX or mITX, but it'll likely be in March next year, so I might do a complete rebuild!

Here's a video of the build as well.

Current Parts List

• Intel i5 3570k
  • Noctua NH-U12s
  • 3x Noctua NF-A14 FLX
  • Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H
  • Antec HCG-M 620w PSU
  • Fractal R4.

Current Status

1QUN0DVh.jpg

znTL47Nh.jpg

2XzrVbJh.jpg

1ai2dqDh.jpg

Future Plans

My plans are:

Thanks for reading!

Demos

I wudd say go for a be quiet psu and why go noctua fans for case that was waste there are plenty of case fans that are quiet like cougar or gelid or corsair enermax etc

System Specs~~~~~

Case-Corsair Air 540                                   CPU-i7 4770k                           Ram-Corsair Vengeance 16 Gbs    PSU-Corsair RM1000

Motherboard-Asus Maximus VI Formula    Graphics-Asus Gtx 780 Ti x2     CPU Cooler-Corsair H100i               SSDs-Corsair Force GS 128/360 Gb       

Oh man does that look good lit up. I can't wait till my DR4 gets here. Now I need some LEDs...

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 MB: MSI Z77A-GD55  CPU: i5 3330 OCd to 3.4Ghz CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu 2x8GB @ 1600MHz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming PSU: Seasonic M12II 650W HDD: Two Seagate Barracuda 2TB @ 7200 RPM SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

I wudd say go for a be quiet psu and why go noctua fans for case that was waste there are plenty of case fans that are quiet like cougar or gelid or corsair enermax etc

Well if you read the build-log, I've already bought a new PSU, its a Corsair AX750w that I scored for $100NZD. Absolute bargain, and the fan doesn't even ramp up until 30-40% load.

Gelid, Cougar and Enermax I've tried and didnt like, they were too loud. Corsair fans are a complete joke, they push fuck-all air and are very loud. Noctua are expensive for a reason, they're the best.

• 2 weeks later...

I love the noctua fans they are awsome

Corsair 350d, Asus Gryphon Z87, Intel i5 4670k 4.5 GHz, Corsair H100i, Corsair Vengence 16gb 1600 MHz,

AMD Radeon 260x, Corsair CX600, OCZ Vetex 450 128gb, Seagate 2 TB