Someone stole $5 million from a major Bitcoin exchange

XTankSlayerX

This morning, Bitstamp announced that its systems had been compromised by an unidentified attacker and shut down trading for the day, and speaking to ZDNet this afternoon, Bitstamp's CEO confirmed that a theft had occurred. While the bulk of Bitstamp's reserves are still safe, the attackers were still able to get away with nearly 19,000 bitcoin, or roughly $5 million. It's a small fortune, but a notable reminder that the era of big-ticket bitcoin thefts isn't over yet.

The bulk of Bitstamp's holdings were in cold storage, inaccessible to fast online transfers, but the attackers were able to compromise the operational wallet that manages day-to-day transactions and empty it early this morning.

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/5/7496825/someone-stole-5-million-from-a-major-bitcoin-exchange

Uhoh, at least the massive bulk of it was in "cold" storage. Could it of been a inside job?

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/5/7496825/someone-stole-5-million-from-a-major-bitcoin-exchange

Uhoh, at least the massive bulk of it was in "cold" storage. Could it of been a inside job?

"but the attackers were able to compromise the operational wallet that manages day-to-day transactions" <----- They stole from the cash register not from the safe.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

Oh no.

Well, I'll kindly accept them but I'd probably give most of them back to the exchange.

Sig under construction.

oh jeez seems like everything is getting hacked these days. Even the most secure form of currency got hacked 

[CPU] i7 4790K OC [CPU Cooler] H100i [GPU] Evga GTX 980 SuperClocked [Ram] Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1866 mhz [PSU] Cooler Master 1000w Silent Pro [storage] 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 1 TB WD Blue 4 TB Seagate Nas. [Motherboard] Msi Z97 Gaming 5 [Case] Phantom 410 Red [sound] Onboard ALC 1150 [Headphones] Sennheiser HD 558 [Keyboard] Razer BlackWidow Chroma  [Mouse] Razer Deathadder Chroma [Mouse] Razer FireFly [Monitor] Asus MG278Q

I wonder what they'll buy with it? probably a shitload of PC hardware lol

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Oh no.

Well, I'll kindly accept them but I'd probably give most of them back to the exchange.

damn, I wish nice people existed more often. 

[CPU] i7 4790K OC [CPU Cooler] H100i [GPU] Evga GTX 980 SuperClocked [Ram] Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1866 mhz [PSU] Cooler Master 1000w Silent Pro [storage] 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 1 TB WD Blue 4 TB Seagate Nas. [Motherboard] Msi Z97 Gaming 5 [Case] Phantom 410 Red [sound] Onboard ALC 1150 [Headphones] Sennheiser HD 558 [Keyboard] Razer BlackWidow Chroma  [Mouse] Razer Deathadder Chroma [Mouse] Razer FireFly [Monitor] Asus MG278Q

"but the attackers were able to compromise the operational wallet that manages day-to-day transactions" <----- They stole from the cash register not from the safe.

Yeah...

I wonder how much is kept in the vualts

bit coins the perfect thing to steal, completely untraceable.

Good for him/them. 5mill is more than most of us will earn in their lifetimes.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

So it's a digital bankheist, interesting to see where technology has taken us.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

Is anyone really surprised by this?

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

The next dual xeon water cooled rig with 4 way SLI build log we see could be from the thieve, we have to keep an eye open!

Online/virtual currency. It was bound to happen.

Or it is drug money.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

you obviously don't know shit about bitcoin

wtf? 

wrong post

hacking thru bitcoin transactions are pretty damn hard. But losing your bitcoins is quite easy. (just forget your private key and your done) 

hacking thru bitcoin transactions are pretty damn hard. But losing your bitcoins is quite easy. (just forget your private key and your done)

it was entirely bitstamp's fault not bitcoin

18+k bitcoin gone sure stinks. It's not Mt. Gox bad, so there's that, but crappy none the less.

From what I read they are making good on the stolen coins, which is certainly different from the Gox...

it was entirely bitstamp's fault not bitcoin

yes I know. My point was that everything can be hacked. and Nothing is safe online. Contrary to what people say about bitcoin storage. Worst part about bitcoin is its unregulated so there are no laws for bitcoin 

Maybe buy Lamborghinis like the guy from 4chan

Muh rig: i7 4770k, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, MSI Z87 G45, Kingston Hyper X Blu 8GB, Samsung 840 EVO 120 + WD Blue 1 TB, Asus GTX 770 2GB, Corsair 200r + 2x Corsair AF 120 Blue + 1x Stock corsair fan, Corsair TX650, LG 27EA33V IPS, Steelseries Sensei Raw + QCK mini, CM Quickfire Ultimate Blue.

best*

lol, depends how you look at it. 

If your bitcoins gets stolen then well, you have no one to look to. Theres no evidence and the court cannot do anything about it. And there are no laws regarding bitcoins