Uses for dead Hard Drives

zxcvbnmmssdh

I am trying to think of a creative way to use the platters, magnets, and/or the bearing/motor thing. I am having a mental block and can't think of anything. If you guys have any ideas I would love to hear them.

CPU: i7-4770k CPU Cooler: NH-D14 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb GPU: EVGA Superclocked 780 ti MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Gene PSU: Corsair RM 850 Case: Bitfenix Prodigy M

Throw them at people you don't like

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza

I am trying to think of a creative way to use the platters, magnets, and/or the bearing/motor thing. I am having a mental block and can't think of anything. If you guys have any ideas I would love to hear them.

Steal the magnets and play frisbee with the platters?

I've seen some clocks made from the platters.

Coaster

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

I have like 50 old sata 80GB drives and dont know what to do with them...

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

It could be used as a murder weapon, scrap metal and scrap whatever else is in there for cash, etc.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Throw it into the brake fluid reservoir on a car that belongs to someone you don't like and drain it so that the car has a hydraulic brake failure.

if the read write can still move you can make music out of it

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Use hot glue and a large sheet of plywood, take the various pieces of a harddrive to artistically recreate your memories. It doesn't have to look like anything, because it's creative as fuck (but when asked, say you prefer to think of it as "re-creative" because you didn't really build anything, you are a prism which merely displays a sort of reality)

Then dress like a hipster and sell it off for 150k. You're rich now.

Use hot glue and a large sheet of plywood, take the various pieces of a harddrive to artistically recreate your memories. It doesn't have to look like anything, because it's creative as fuck (but when asked, say you prefer to think of it as "re-creative" because you didn't really build anything, you are a prism which merely displays a sort of reality)

Then dress like a hipster and sell it off for 150k. You're rich now.

10/10

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Put the hard drive under someones bed while they are sleeping. Then remove all the batteries from the smoke detectors and set the bed on fire.

Burn em'

I made a coaster with a plater, sitting right next to me, glued to the desk, all shiny and stuff.

I found the magnet in the drive wasn't as strong as the one Barnacles shows in his video, though... So I just put them aside for now... maybe I will have some use for them one day... probably not.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I use them to hang various things on my cubicle walls at work.  

My telephone headset is hung by one, as well as my awesome bacon calendar from my mom, and a Jinx poster.   

On the adjacent cube wall, I have two more holding the bottom corners of an autographed SciShow poster. 

I've got a read/write armature and platters floating around the desk somewhere.  

post-122698-0-65288600-1420516119.jpg

The platters are suuuuuper reflective like the most perfect mirror you will see, make a death ray using the sun and blind people.

5820k@3.8GHz| Corsair H100i |Gigabyte x99 SLI | Corsair 16GB | EVGA 780Ti SC ACX SLI x2 |240GB SSD120GB SSD 512GB SSD 2TB HDD | 3x ASUS VN247H 24" ( nVidia Surround)

You can use the VERY strong magnet in the HDD to use as a stud finder in any drywall. It's excellent for that.

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

use them as a hockey puck 

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

RAID...

How many drives can I run in raid 0 on my X99 board?

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

RAID...

I could get hundreds of SCA hard drives from work hundreds off raid cards and hundreds of gigs of EEC memory ... Problem is I only know of one dual processor board I can get from work.

5820k@3.8GHz| Corsair H100i |Gigabyte x99 SLI | Corsair 16GB | EVGA 780Ti SC ACX SLI x2 |240GB SSD120GB SSD 512GB SSD 2TB HDD | 3x ASUS VN247H 24" ( nVidia Surround)