Is the GTX Titan still a viable choice?

Justhavocman
Go to solution Solved by Acquire,

For gaming, a Titan is a 780 with 6GB of varm and a Titan Black is a 780Ti with 6GB of vram. A 970 slightly outperforms a 780 and a 980 a 780Ti.  A 780Ti with 6GB of vram does not exist, so if you truly wanted that level of performance with 6GB of vram the Titan Black would be your only choice right now.  A 780 with 6GB of vram does exist though, which makes a Titan kind of pointless since its going to have a price premium for its non gaming features.  It's unlikely that you need more than the 4GB of vram provided by the 970/980, but that's up to you if you want more.  

As the title says , does it put up a fight against say , a 780ti or a 980?

CPU : i5-8600k , Motherboard: Aorus Z370 Ultra Gaming , RAM: G.skill Ripjaws 16GB 3200mhz ,GPU : Gigabyte 1070 G1 ,Case: NZXT Noctis 450 ,Storage : Seagate 1TB HDD , Seagate Barracuda 2TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB , KINGSTON SHFS37A/240G HYPERX FURY 240GB  , PSU : Corsair RM 750X , Display(s) : LG Flatron W2243S , Dell U2715H , Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212x Evo, Keyboard: Coolermaster Rapid-i , Drevo Tyrfing Black , Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S, Mouse : Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum , Windows 10 

its a bit better than a 780 ti so yes

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

If it's cheaper than 970 then yes.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

If it's cheaper than 970 then yes.

I once got a offer to buy a Titan for around 300-400 dollar used..........

according to firemark, my dual 7950s are 60% faster. they only cost me 250. so going off that, Id have to say no. But i havent looked much into it

What? The Titan has never been a viable choice if you're after a gaming card. Even now, it's still basically a 780 with too much ram, unless you're after double precision.

780-Ti-heaven.png

500x1000px-LL-edda647c_Geforce_GTX_780_T

crysis.jpg

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I meant outside of gaming. I should have specified that CUDA cores are great.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

They are nice, but people still put to much value in them. If you can get them for 250 or less than sure go for it, but otherwise leave them be. Offers here on second hand units hover around 400 to much to use it for gaming.

"Hope, what a concept." - Deunan Knute

I meant outside of gaming. I should have specified that CUDA cores are great.

OP is talking about gaming

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Man CES is happening over the next few days, so you'll get a sneak at the new Titans no doubt, these old ones are out dated. The only good thing is the size of the memory bus. 256-bit is stupid small nowadays, especially at the higher end of Graphics cards which is why the 290X and 290 beat the 970 at 4K.  The 980 passes with sheer core speed brute force. 

Quoted pictures removed

—Mod Glenwing

The 780 Ti is relevant because it has a wider bus. But you need to compare these results to the Maxwell refresh to see the difference bus width makes. Outside of gaming then yes the titan is good as a workhorse but thats what it is designed for. Overall you are better off getting a 780Ti than a Titan, or wait for the new Titans to come out (which they should soon). The only reason you should get a 700 series titan is if you are hard up on cash and need the cuda cores. Or alternatively you can wait for AMD and Hawaii, which I have a feeling will be pretty decent this year in the way of high end GPU's

In pure performance, sure, it's still a powerful card. It's a little better than a 780 and a little worse than a 780 Ti. Yes, it has workstation enhancements, that doesn't make it worse for gaming. It's exactly between the 780 and 780 Ti in gaming, so unless you think those are bad cards for gaming, it's silly to say the Titan isn't a viable gaming card. For the usual price, it's a bad value for purely gaming purposes, but that's not what's being asked. Regardless of price, the performance is still exactly what it is, which is enough to call it a solid gaming card.

Get it, I'll buy it off you or get you a 970.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

They are still great for gaming. However, any other high-end GTX card (780-/ti, 970/980) would be better for the money. Unless you got a great deal on one.

unless the game you're playing needs double precision float, I don't see any reason unless its dirt cheap, or you need a workstation card.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Depends on which TITAN. TITAN Black is essentially a 780 Ti with double precision compute and 6GB of VRAM. The original TITAN is a 780 with double precision and 6GB of VRAM.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

not if its used

Well if it's used but from a friend or someone you trust, and has little time on it, it's almost as new really.

Woah , that's a lot of feedback , a guy was selling it off for 450€ so , taking into consideration everything said in this thread , i'm better off with a 970 or waiting out to see what's to come on CES.

CPU : i5-8600k , Motherboard: Aorus Z370 Ultra Gaming , RAM: G.skill Ripjaws 16GB 3200mhz ,GPU : Gigabyte 1070 G1 ,Case: NZXT Noctis 450 ,Storage : Seagate 1TB HDD , Seagate Barracuda 2TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB , KINGSTON SHFS37A/240G HYPERX FURY 240GB  , PSU : Corsair RM 750X , Display(s) : LG Flatron W2243S , Dell U2715H , Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212x Evo, Keyboard: Coolermaster Rapid-i , Drevo Tyrfing Black , Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S, Mouse : Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum , Windows 10 

Get a 980 or wait for the next card. Most people couldnt afford a Titan so their only opinion is what they read online.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

I once got a offer to buy a Titan for around 300-400 dollar used..........

I went and bought one watercooled for ~350€ and traded it to some knucklehead for 2 r9 290s both watercooled :)

REMEMBER TO QUOTE SO I GET A NOTIFCATION! Add me on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Shroomster/ Review(s) more to come