Canadian ISPs and VPNs Now Have to Alert Pirating Customers..

no sarcasm. Unlike a good portion of the internet I dont believe in pirating.

I am on your side too, piracy makes me feel sick

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

They (ISPs) have been doing that for years now.  I know people (cough*cough*) that had incident reports emailed to them by Canadian ISP's as far back as 5-6 years ago.  These reports were directed at files on the users local hard drive, even if they were not torrented from that computer.   Let me ask the guy :rolleyes: if he still has some of the emails...1 sec....nope...no luck.

People should protest for piracy rights,since media isnt avaible or overpriced.

I dont live in North America but if corporations manage to get their way we will face limited media distribution at very high prices.Sooner or later they will do something in EUnion too,i guess external VPn will be the last resort.

I think more than 2/3rd's of piracy is because of distribution service/unrealistic pricing issues,which corporations and governments have no intention of solving.

If you ask me this is just another way to monitor people behind VPN,forcing VPN providers to have logs given to the goverment/ISP,they could see where a VPN user has went @web every single click and page,pfft can it get any worse?i tought its just USA NSA spying on people now Canada too.

I remember a case from around 8 years ago.  A twelve year old Canadian girl downloaded a song from Audiogalaxy or Napster or somewhere.  They dragged the girl's family through the courts and the family ended up paying over $12,000 in fines.  All to scare everyone else?

Pirating does hurt development companies... but the relevant damage done to that small family over something like that... I don't know.  Seems like Canada was doing the most harm in that situation.  Governments are made up of people, and people are narrow-minded a hell of a lot of the time.

Won't have any effect, you can't stop internet piracy.

You cannot fight the internet.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Won't have any effect, you can't stop internet piracy.

You cannot fight the internet.

Kind of like fighting a "War On Terror" :blink:

...yeah I went there...sorry.

How would they know what torrent you download and what one you browse, getting a download seeded to you is anonymous, or would they send the notice if you just visit a site that is known to have copyright contents?

When you download a torrent, the connections between peers and the seeders are kept up to date with a tracker. This autonomous bot deals with ip's that have the file and helps link other peers if they request or share the file. The tracker can be monitored by a bot that the copyright holder uses in order to gain the list of ip's who've been involved with the file and thus have your ip for having your bittorrent requesting the file.

Best way to get around this is to use a VPN (preferably a paid and secure ie. https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/ for $40 yearly or running a VPS to make a VPN ie. https://www.digitalocean.com/ for $5 monthly) or use a torrent that has a private tracker so it could not be seen by the copyright holders.

Avoid public vpn as they are completely insecure and can do more harm.

Information Security is my thing.

Running a entry/mid-range pc, upgrading it slowly.

had rogers send me letters a few years back.. i tossed those right in the garbage and never got on since 

Intel i5 4670K | Asus z97 Deluxe | MSI GTX 1060 (6GB) | 16GB Corsair Vengeance |

120GB Samsung EVO - 480GB OCZ Solid III - 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda  | Corsair AX760

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate | Razer Ouroboros

When you download a torrent, the connections between peers and the seeders are kept up to date with a tracker. This autonomous bot deals with ip's that have the file and helps link other peers if they request or share the file. The tracker can be monitored by a bot that the copyright holder uses in order to gain the list of ip's who've been involved with the file and thus have your ip for having your bittorrent requesting the file.

Best way to get around this is to use a VPN (preferably a paid and secure ie. https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/ for $40 yearly or running a VPS to make a VPN ie. https://www.digitalocean.com/ for $5 monthly) or use a torrent that has a private tracker so it could not be seen by the copyright holders.

Can't ISPs just got to the VPN you use for the information?

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Piracy exists mainly because of a distribution problem, not everyone being greedy and wanting free things.

If you're a corporation and just want to screw people over by charging more for your barely content you can go fuck yourself for all I care. Make it available and people will buy it.

Hard concept I guess.

Can't ISPs just got to the VPN you use for the information?

VPNs hide your traffic from the ISP so they can't see it. It is the copyright holder who will try to ask the VPN for info hence why the law of VPN keeping records of your traffic history. ISPs don't really want to hunt you down, they only care to follow the rules which is to forward you the letter given by the copyright holder.

VPNs hide your traffic from the ISP so they can't see it. It is the copyright holder who will try to ask the VPN for info hence why the law of VPN keeping records of your traffic history. ISPs don't really want to hunt you down, they only care to follow the rules which is to forward you the letter given by the copyright holder.

Okay then, since the copyright holders can, why even go for a VPN?

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

VPN is great but that aside, trackers are for location, they can't tell what your getting unless there is only one seed.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Kind of like fighting a "War On Terror" :blink:

...yeah I went there...sorry.

1 causes grievous bodily harm to thousands, the other makes rich people earn slightly less money, not all things are equal.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

1 causes grievous bodily harm to thousands, the other makes rich people earn slightly less money, not all things are equal.

Both are failing projects by current governments around the world. :o

...sorry again, the response was not necessary.  I am tired.

Linux may be free, but you get hassled by ISPs for downloading them.

And I know lots of people who do torrent to demoLots. Have you ever engaged a torrent community? Or pirates? And then there is the problem of distribution. It is all a lot more complicated than what most anti-piracy people think it is.

I am not saying distribution is an easy issue to get around. My main point was that downloading stuff that is not yours such as movies/ tv shows should not be allowed or there should be no means to do it. simple enough idea, complex issue.

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

Okay then, since the copyright holders can, why even go for a VPN?

Because currently VPNs dont keep a record of your traffic, hence the law needed for them to keep it for you to be checked out by the copyright holder.

VPN is great but that aside, trackers are for location, they can't tell what your getting unless there is only one seed.

Trackers are used to keep a torrent connected between peers who want to be involved with what files provided, if your involved with a pirated movie, you are considered a pirate by either distributing or stealing.

You can see all the ips lively connected to the file by looking at peers (peers tab in utorrent), all that info is given about through the tracker, down to the country and IP, which you can tell which ISP it is under if you look it up.

Without a tracker, you are forced to scan the whole internet for people offering to share the file.

How do you think you hear news about how many people torrented Game of Thrones finale all the time?

I'm curious as of how they know that someone os pirating something. Would it be for visiting certain known torrent sites? Video streaming sites? Or that you are using up a large amount of your bandwidth?

Lots of questions to be had.

i second that... i dont live in Canada but i might move there as i'm half Canadian and its a nice country so i worry. if they go off people using Torrents and stuff i might have to flip shit cause thats stupid

i second that... i dont live in Canada but i might move there as i'm half Canadian and its a nice country so i worry. if they go off people using Torrents and stuff i might have to flip shit cause thats stupid

Hell, imagine if it just went off from you downloading 100GB worth of games from Steam or something.

Hell, imagine if it just went off from you downloading 100GB worth of games from Steam or something.

yea... just on the pure volume of trafic... dude, my mail box would look like a server after a ddos attack... i'm moving to a new PC and if i have to download my 1,2tb worth of steam games alone... then oh my