Canadian ISPs and VPNs Now Have to Alert Pirating Customers..

@69lover : ninja'd

Source: http://torrentfreak.com/canadian-isps-vpns-now-alert-pirating-customers-150102/

Starting today Canadian Internet providers are required to forward copyright infringement notices to their subscribers. This notification scheme provides a safe harbor for ISPs but is also expected to result in a surge in piracy settlement schemes. The new law further causes trouble for VPN providers, who are now required to log customers for at least six months..

pirate-running.jpg

Under the new law Internet providers are required to forward copyright notices they receive from rightsholders to their customers. Providers who do not comply, including VPN services, face damages up to $10,000.

“I think they’re generally a good solution proven effective when used informally and far less draconian than takedown systems. That said, there is the danger of potential abuse that will be need to be monitored,”

- Geist

Among the most prominent concerns are the so-called settlement schemes where copyright holders ask pirating subscribers to pay a fee. These have become relatively common in the U.S. and are now expected to expand into Canada.

The new notice-and-notice system also has a great impact on VPN providers. The new law requires them to identify pirating customers so they can forward the infringement notices.

“The law does not preclude the inclusion of a settlement demand, though Canada has a cap on liability for non-commercial infringement and the sender of the notice obviously does not know the identity of the subscriber,”

This mandatory data retention is expected to lead to a customer exodus as it makes it impossible for providers to guarantee people’s anonymity, a key feature of any VPN service.

Many VPN providers assign shared IP-addresses to their customers, so even if they wanted to there is no option to accurately identify a copyright infringer. For these companies the only option will be to shut down, or move the company outside of Canada.

Details separate people.

Well Sorry... 

This is a smart way of doing things...

Eh I guess no more pirating.

Shaw and Telus are annoying the way they are already.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

except i dont believe copyright infrigment law applies to you if you use it for personal use only??

also people can just use 2 vpns or a vpn outside canada.

Shaw and Telus are annoying the way they are already.

I agree.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

finally something being done about pirating..

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

finally something being done about pirating..

Yay can't know sarcasm or srs ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Yay can't know sarcasm or srs ?

no sarcasm. Unlike a good portion of the internet I dont believe in pirating.

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

no sarcasm. Unlike a good portion of the internet I dont believe in pirating.

Sure go buy every game you feel like it's good.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I'm curious as of how they know that someone os pirating something. Would it be for visiting certain known torrent sites? Video streaming sites? Or that you are using up a large amount of your bandwidth?

Lots of questions to be had.

Sure go buy every game you feel like it's good.

i see. I dont want to argue, so many people on this forum are just looking for a fight, but I will ask you this:does wanting something justifies stealing?

Canada is so far behind on technology that I'm starting to question if we're just digging our own hole now.

I'm curious as of how they know that someone os pirating something. Would it be for visiting certain known torrent sites? Video streaming sites? Or that you are using up a large amount of your bandwidth?

Lots of questions to be had.

Indeed.  Visiting torrent sites and even downloading copyrighted stuff doesn't mean you're pirating. 

I for instance am currently upgrading my entire music collection (all legal, btw) from MP3 to FLAC.  I'm just about done ripping my CDs, converting from wav to flac and sorting out all the metadata.  (tedious work)

However once all the CDs are done, I'll still be stuck with slightly more than 1300 songs that I bought on iTunes and other online sellers, and those usually only have 192-320kbps MP3/M4A/ogg/other-weird-format versions. 

In order to get lossless versions of those songs, I'm going to have to resort to torrenting and downloading from hosting sites commonly used for pirating.  

At 30-40MB per song and often having to download entire albums to get one or 2 songs, I'll be downloading several hundred GB of songs in the near future.  That would raise some serious red flags and give me loads of infringement notices if the copyright mafia has their way. 

However I already paid for the right to listen to the songs and am legally allowed to keep copies (even multiple) for my own use.  If I'd have to reply with proof of purchase every single time they'd send me a notice, I'll be busy quite a while longer.  It's going to take long enough as is.

Indeed.  Visiting torrent sites and even downloading copyrighted stuff doesn't mean you're pirating. 

I for instance am currently upgrading my entire music collection (all legal, btw) from MP3 to FLAC.  I'm just about done ripping my CDs, converting from wav to flac and sorting out all the metadata.  (tedious work)

However once all the CDs are done, I'll still be stuck with slightly more than 1300 songs that I bought on iTunes and other online sellers, and those usually only have 192-320kbps MP3/M4A/ogg/other-weird-format versions. 

In order to get lossless versions of those songs, I'm going to have to resort to torrenting and downloading from hosting sites commonly used for pirating.  

At 30-40MB per song and often having to download entire albums to get one or 2 songs, I'll be downloading several hundred GB of songs in the near future.  That would raise some serious red flags and give me loads of infringement notices if the copyright mafia has their way. 

However I already paid for the right to listen to the songs and am legally allowed to keep copies (even multiple) for my own use.  If I'd have to reply with proof of purchase every single time they'd send me a notice, I'll be busy quite a while longer.  It's going to take long enough as is.

but you live in belgium

also what does this mean for us, canadians?

Canada is so far behind on technology that I'm starting to question if we're just digging our own hole now.

Well It is not just "us" (canada) that is behind. If want to call the USA ahead than be my guest but ill take poor old "far behind" Canada over there. 

Regarding topic: 

It is really only a problem if they someone on the other chooses to pursue civil suits or wants money. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Shaw already sent me a letter a couple of months ago so I got a VPN and haven't had one since. Not saying I pirate or anything but you know....

i see. I dont want to argue, so many people on this forum are just looking for a fight, but I will ask you this:does wanting something justifies stealing?

Is it stealing no it isn't, if the game had a demo like Trine I would try the demo then decide to pay for the game or not, a lot of people pirate games like a demo provide a demo or a time trail or something and a lot of people would stop pirating, for me I think pirating movies is bad but pirating games isn't bad.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

This is not news.

ISP's have been sending out notices on behalf of content owners on and off for over 20 years.

It's hilarious how so many 20 something reporters keep regurgitating stuff like it's something that's new when in fact it's been going on since they were in diapers

or before they were born.

What ever happened to reporters doing RESEARCH on a subject before writing about it?

Here's how those letters work.

It's a fishing expedition.

They send out 100 of thousands of them, millions of them worldwide.

It's a 100% AUTOMATED process UNTIL you respond to the letter.

Once you respond to the letter a human gets involved and it's assumed right away that you are concerned or scared...... blood in the water.

That's when they go after you.   Don't respond and nothing happens, the bots will just send more and and more.

Arrrrrrgh shiver me timbers matey!!

Oh, better far to live and die/Under the brave black flag I fly,

Than play a sanctimonious part,/With a pirate head and a pirate heart.

Away to the cheating world go you,/Where pirates all are well-to-do;/But I'll be true to the song I sing,/And live and die a Pirate King.

For I am a Pirate King!/And it is, it is a glorious thing/ To be a Pirate King!/For I am a Pirate King!...

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

The situation isn't so black and white, mind you. There are people who torrent and stream stuff on "illegal" sites that actually own the content they are downloading or streaming. It is about convenience and distribution, not about theft. Should I be sent a notice when I torrent a Linux OS off a site? No, yet I would be. Should I be sent a notice when I torrent copies of a movie or show I already own? No, yet I would be. Should I be given a notice when I upload and download things for my own benefit, namely large collections of hand made graphics or gaming resources? No, yet I would be. And a lot of people torrent games to demo them out. Play for a bit, decide if it is good, delete if they don't or go buy if they do. And another thing people torrent games for is their cracks, even if they actually own the game.

But I guess they are all just thieves. It is easy to judge, harder still to understand.

There is a way to stop pirating but at the expense of people's privacy and freedoms? Hell no.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Optimum does/did this. and then I started using Magnet Links..

2922881196_Obama_laughing_2_xlarge.jpeg

SPAAAAAACE!!!

If they can see when you pirate they can also see when you don't.

Why don't they treat Internet as a utility for the people, completely confidential as the mail services?

I guess it's going to be VPN time until these politics die and get replaced by a smarter generation.