Canadian ISPs and VPNs Now Have to Alert Pirating Customers..

i see. I dont want to argue, so many people on this forum are just looking for a fight, but I will ask you this:does wanting something justifies stealing?

The thing with netflix is, that we are actually paying for the content, those restrictions are just BS.

Main rig. Updated :D CPU: FX8350 @stock Cooler: Corsair h110 Motherboard: Ga-990fxa-ud5 Memory: Corsair Vengance 8Gigs 1866Mhz GPU: MSI GTX 970 SLI (blower cooler)  PSU: Cooler Master Silent pro 850w SSD: Corsair Force GT 60Gb HDD: WD 500 Caviar blue Case: Thermaltake core V71 Fan controler: NZXT Sentry

Secondary PC: CPU: i5 4670k @stock Cooler: Thermaltake NIC L/31 Motherboard: Asus Z97I-PLUS Memory: Corsair Vengance 8Gigs 2133Mhz GPU: ZOTAC GTX 780 (Titan cooler) PSU: Antec 520m Pro SSD: Corsair Force GT 60Gb HDD: WD 500 Caviar blue & WD 2TB Green Case: Thermaltake core V1

The thing with netflix is, that we are actually paying for the content, those restrictions are just BS.

so that justifies stealing?

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

I certainly do. For the ones that aren't up to standard, I vote with my wallet. Not pirate.

Must be nice to be rich and spoiled enough to pass judgement on others.

So.. we just throw them in trash and never respond and it does not matter?

so that justifies stealing?

Yeah it does. They had for the content to be legally viewed. They shot that option down, so fuck em they don't deserve the money and the viewer still should have the content. It's all about distribution and Hollywood sucks at it.

The situation isn't so black and white, mind you. There are people who torrent and stream stuff on "illegal" sites that actually own the content they are downloading or streaming. It is about convenience and distribution, not about theft. Should I be sent a notice when I torrent a Linux OS off a site? No, yet I would be. Should I be sent a notice when I torrent copies of a movie or show I already own? No, yet I would be. Should I be given a notice when I upload and download things for my own benefit, namely large collections of hand made graphics or gaming resources? No, yet I would be. And a lot of people torrent games to demo them out. Play for a bit, decide if it is good, delete if they don't or go buy if they do. And another thing people torrent games for is their cracks, even if they actually own the game.

But I guess they are all just thieves. It is easy to judge, harder still to understand.

There is a way to stop pirating but at the expense of people's privacy and freedoms? Hell no.

what you have mentioned are all legitatimate things that should change. for example if you purchased a movie as a dvd but cant get it on your computer I think that the distributor should provide an online download for physical purposes. and things that are already free like linux? that is not what I am talking about. and anyways how many people that torrent games to "try them out" actually delete the torrented copy and and buy one from a legitimate distributor? not many I bet.

I am not saying that everything torrented is stealing. you misread what I was saying. in this instance I was referring to the illegal download of movies and tv shows and not paying for them. I do however think that a large portion of torrenting/pirating is illegal and should be stopped.

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

Is it stealing no it isn't, if the game had a demo like Trine I would try the demo then decide to pay for the game or not, a lot of people pirate games like a demo provide a demo or a time trail or something and a lot of people would stop pirating, for me I think pirating movies is bad but pirating games isn't bad.

but there are still large numbers of people who pirate games and keep them, yes? or is the internet a much nicer place than I thought? Just because some people actually do delete the game and buy a real copy does not mean the service should be provided. developers and publishers should get on the ball and start releasing demos or time trials like you suggested.

Yeah it does. They had for the content to be legally viewed. They shot that option down, so fuck em they don't deserve the money and the viewer still should have the content. It's all about distribution and Hollywood sucks at it

If you want the content that badly then why not find another legitimate way to buy it instead of stealing it? 

If you want the content that badly then why not find another legitimate way to buy it instead of stealing it?

Because many times there aren't alternatives. Or they cost far more. Netflix was great. You got lot of content legally viewable for relatively low price. But hollywood didn't like that. It wasn't good enough to get a little bit of money from these viewers, so instead they get none because these people will still watch their content. Just through other illegal means

Attacking ships on the high seas, kidnapping and murdering the people on them, is already a grave crime. Fortunately, naval patrols and armed guards on ships have greatly reduced piracy.

I torrented diablo 1 even though i already own it but don't want to install a CD drive in my PC. How long am i going to jail for?

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

Potential Abuse? Stepehen Harper?

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

A succesfull kill of VPN industry in Canada

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

So when is the next election and will Liberals or NDP actually stop this bs?

Indeed. Visiting torrent sites and even downloading copyrighted stuff doesn't mean you're pirating.

I for instance am currently upgrading my entire music collection (all legal, btw) from MP3 to FLAC. I'm just about done ripping my CDs, converting from wav to flac and sorting out all the metadata. (tedious work)

However once all the CDs are done, I'll still be stuck with slightly more than 1300 songs that I bought on iTunes and other online sellers, and those usually only have 192-320kbps MP3/M4A/ogg/other-weird-format versions.

In order to get lossless versions of those songs, I'm going to have to resort to torrenting and downloading from hosting sites commonly used for pirating.

At 30-40MB per song and often having to download entire albums to get one or 2 songs, I'll be downloading several hundred GB of songs in the near future. That would raise some serious red flags and give me loads of infringement notices if the copyright mafia has their way.

However I already paid for the right to listen to the songs and am legally allowed to keep copies (even multiple) for my own use. If I'd have to reply with proof of purchase every single time they'd send me a notice, I'll be busy quite a while longer. It's going to take long enough as is.

umm... I'll only argue the moral, not the legal. You have paid for the right to listen to a song at a given quality. for all those iTunes songs, you have agreed to purchase and listen to them at at the quality given when purchased or supplied through your purchase agreement with Apple, not for a lossless level of quality. For example if one buys a movie on a DVD I understand that persons wish to watch that DVD wherever they want, but this does not give them the right to download a bluray copy or a 4k version in the future, this would be pirating.

Is it stealing no it isn't, if the game had a demo like Trine I would try the demo then decide to pay for the game or not, a lot of people pirate games like a demo provide a demo or a time trail or something and a lot of people would stop pirating, for me I think pirating movies is bad but pirating games isn't bad.

the share of people that do the above is much smaller than you think.

what you have mentioned are all legitatimate things that should change. for example if you purchased a movie as a dvd but cant get it on your computer I think that the distributor should provide an online download for physical purposes. and things that are already free like linux? that is not what I am talking about. and anyways how many people that torrent games to "try them out" actually delete the torrented copy and and buy one from a legitimate distributor? not many I bet.

I am not saying that everything torrented is stealing. you misread what I was saying. in this instance I was referring to the illegal download of movies and tv shows and not paying for them. I do however think that a large portion of torrenting/pirating is illegal and should be stopped.

Linux may be free, but you get hassled by ISPs for downloading them.

And I know lots of people who do torrent to demoLots. Have you ever engaged a torrent community? Or pirates? And then there is the problem of distribution. It is all a lot more complicated than what most anti-piracy people think it is.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

VPN

More specifically, people should be buying their own cloud instances and run their own private vpn off that instance.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

but there are still large numbers of people who pirate games and keep them, yes? or is the internet a much nicer place than I thought? Just because some people actually do delete the game and buy a real copy does not mean the service should be provided. developers and publishers should get on the ball and start releasing demos or time trials like you suggested.

Yep the large amount of them do what you said, but the way I suggested would lower the pirating of games, another way is free DRM.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

the share of people that do the above is much smaller than you think.

Yeah I figured I think I made them bigger than they are.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

How would they know what torrent you download and what one you browse, getting a download seeded to you is anonymous, or would they send the notice if you just visit a site that is known to have copyright contents?

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

How would they know what torrent you download and what one you browse, getting a download seeded to you is anonymous, or would they send the notice if you just visit a site that is known to have copyright contents?

I was told they can actually see what you are downloading. The name of the file, file size, where you downloaded at etc etc.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I was told they can actually see what you are downloading. The name of the file, file size, where you downloaded at etc etc.

but torrents are seeded and each seed sends scrambled information, your torrent app puts it together, they can monitor the internet connection but if they monitor your computers actions with the information after it is on the PC and not the connection then thats illegal, only the NSA (praise the supreme data overlord) can know all and see all.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW