When you install windows on a new PC what do you do first?

nath10597

Just wondering what people do when you first install windows what do you do first. I install a new browser first.

make the appropriate changes to the OS so it doesn't bork the SSD, then map documents and downloads and stuff to the HDD/RAID

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

Sometimes I just have the drivers on hand. 

I install a new browser along with 10 other applications at a time from my external hard drive. (Stuff like teracopy)

I don't really do one first. I have a list of things I often do and I do them as I remember them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Install stuff like winzip and patch the themes so it looks half way decent....

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

I keep backups of all my latest drivers, so i don't need to install my google chrome until i've got my anti virus and basic drivers installed  ^_^

Corsair 400R, i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz 16GB, Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Motherboard, 240GB Samsung 840 Evo Sata III SSD, 2 x Asus GTX 780 Direct CU2 SLI, Corsair H100i and Corsair AX860i Platinum Power supply.

I format and re-install every 6month.

I don't download anything because I have back-ups of everything I need to install (programs, drivers etc).

But the first thing I do is put all my programs back on and then do updates.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

I just reinstalled windows on my laptop. What I did was browser>drivers>office>norton 360> restore point> ghoste image.

Here is where I would keep my frolics if I had any.

if its my pc i will try to push my overclock bit further since boot times amazing without updates

if its not install drivers and update it

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Drivers, then win update, create backup image (or at least a system restore point).  

Next (depending on laptop or desktop) I split the drive for OS and DATA and point my user data over.

Then I start performance tweaking (power settings, indexing.. etc depending on desktop or laptop).  I install chrome when I'm ready to get all my google stuff synced, but IE is fine to start.

My Rigs (past and present)

make the appropriate changes to the OS so it doesn't bork the SSD, then map documents and downloads and stuff to the HDD/RAID

I don't know where you read that but unless you still use a legacy OS like XP, or if you have Vista (to some extent with that OS), you should not have to do any tweak or hacks.

Windows knows what an SSD is, detects it, and work accordingly. You should really check facts.

I use the disks (yes I know I'm still from the stone age when people used disks) to install temperary drivers after that I get a decent browser and download the latest drivers.

I use the disks (yes I know I'm still from the stone age when people used disks) to install temperary drivers after that I get a decent browser and download the latest drivers.

How about installing the latest driver in the first place?

Drivers, Ninite. K Done.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

I usually have to install at least one driver before anything else, and that's for my wifi card. Can't exactly get the latest drivers or a different browser without that puppy installed. Once that's done, I take care of antivirus-related things, drivers, then Windows updates, before making a backup for my ideal OS setup.

I don't know where you read that but unless you still use a legacy OS like XP, or if you have Vista (to some extent with that OS), you should not have to do any tweak or hacks.

Windows knows what an SSD is, detects it, and work accordingly. You should really check facts.

The default in 7 is still to defrag automatically which will very much impact the life of your SSD. Flash still has a finite number of writes so the fewer useless pieces of data do to the SSD, the better, and shuffling around data constantly is a very bad thing. It might not make much of a difference to move the aforementioned directories, but that's my prerogative and I find that I don't need fast writes or reads for things I store in those directories.

I'm talking about optimization for my usage case, not 'hacks'.

Please don't feel the need to make unwarranted negative comments, it's unbecoming. 

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

I set all my Control Panel settings first.  Then Chrome.  Then video and motherboard drivers.  After that it varies.

If the network interface isn't plug and play enough I'm usually around another PC so I can download network drivers anyway.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

why do you need drivers from the disks to download a browser?

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

How about installing the latest driver in the first place?

except often times I want to have most of my computer running properly before I install things that could mess it up. when installing Firefox i need to get like 10 different plugins and drivers allow higher resolution that what I could get without drivers. (i could be wrong here...) also I don't like using IE for installing stuff from the internet. IE sucks! oh and to get wifi to work i would need drivers so either way I would need to install some drivers before I can get a usuable browser...

why do you need drivers from the disks to download a browser?

my wifi connection would need to have a driver installed... thats the short answer long answer is ^

The default in 7 is still to defrag automatically which will very much impact the life of your SSD. Flash still has a finite number of writes so the fewer useless pieces of data do to the SSD, the better, and shuffling around data constantly is a very bad thing. It might not make much of a difference to move the aforementioned directories, but that's my prerogative and I find that I don't need fast writes or reads for things I store in those directories.

I'm talking about optimization for my usage case, not 'hacks'.

Please don't feel the need to make unwarranted negative comments, it's unbecoming. 

No, it doesn't execute it.

Official Microsoft Support:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2727880

Windows 7 usually detects SSD disk after this has been installed or connected and integrates it properly. This also includes the detection that some services are disabled, which would restrict the functionality, performance and service life of the drive.