Tech Things You Dont Know But Are Too Afraid To Ask.

How to hack

MY RIG | AMD FX-8320 | COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT 8GB DDR3-1600MHz | WD CAVIAR BLUE 1TB | ASUS RADEON R9 280 3GB DIRECTCU II | CORSAIR 300R | CORSAIR CX 600W 80+ BRONZE | 1x COOLER MASTER SICKLEFLOW 120mm | WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64-BIT | DELL S2240M 21.5' 1080p <p> | G602 | G710+ MOBILE| ONEPLUS ONE 64GB RUNNING OXYGENOS  | NEXUS 4 16GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP | NEXUS 7 2013 32GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP

It all depends on the chip maker. Intel has so many versions and variations of their chips that it's almost impossible to keep up. For the most part, the "common" chips that you see mentioned all the time are the relevant ones. The actual differences can be quite subtle, and sometimes the reasons for one over the other can be obscure. YMMV.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

Why in hell do driver CD's that come with motherboards include so damned much bloatware?

Why do people say that PCI-E 3.0 is no better for gaming than 2.0 when I've experienced an improvement?

If I'm currently running a set of ADATA 2x4g 1600hz memory sticks, can I add in another 2 ADATA sticks, but 2x8 instead, and end up with 24 gigs of memory without a problem? (I have a 64 bit system)

Why in the name of all that is sensible is the z97 Gigabyte BIOS so confusing? There's like a thousand different options for everything, and the options I'm looking for that other people have talked about dont seem to exist.

When I RMA my EVGA GPU later this week should I put the gpu itself in the anti static bag it came in? Their instruction specifically state to simply place the gpu in a box with 2 inches of packing peanuts between the gpu and the box, but says nothing about anti static bags.

Companies get paid to include the bloatware.

Graphics cards have yet to need the extra bandwidth to where there would be much of a difference. .

It should be fine as long as you run them with the same settings. 

You're probably not looking in the right places? There are often only ~2-3 variations of a setting at most and they're usually quite easy to understand once you look them up. 

Put the graphics card in the anti static bag if you have it. Bubble wrap or paper is also usually accepted. I don't think it's absolutely necessary although it might be recommended. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Companies get paid to include the bloatware.

Graphics cards have yet to need the extra bandwidth to where there would be much of a difference. .

It should be fine as long as you run them with the same settings. 

You're probably not looking in the right places? There are often only ~2-3 variations of a setting at most and they're usually quite easy to understand once you look them up. 

Put the graphics card in the anti static bag if you have it. Bubble wrap or paper is also usually accepted. I don't think it's absolutely necessary although it might be recommended. 

Thank you, their shipping instructions are remarkably specific, whilst still being vague lol.

For the GPU, yes. Packing peanuts produce a lot of static electricity.

The RAM should work fine in theory, but make sure it has the same speed, timings and voltage.

This is what I could answer.

Thank you as well.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

When I RMA my EVGA GPU later this week should I put the gpu itself in the anti static bag it came in? Their instruction specifically state to simply place the gpu in a box with 2 inches of packing peanuts between the gpu and the box, but says nothing about anti static bags.

Thank you, their shipping instructions are remarkably specific, whilst still being vague lol.

Thank you as well.

They're assuming the owner of the card doesn't have the box and/or anything else that came with it. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

They're assuming the owner of the card doesn't have the box and/or anything else that came with it. 

Wow.....who spends 2-600 bucks on a graphics card and doesn't keep the anti static bag at the least?

Wow.....who spends 2-600 bucks on a graphics card and doesn't keep the anti static bag at the least?

I'm willing to bet a fair number of people around here didn't save any of the boxes, manuals, or packaging of anything they bought--no matter how stupid that may be. 

I personally save everything until the warranty expires. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

This has a lot to do with heat conductivity. Before I explain water cooling I feel air cooling should be explained in detail. So, basically with an air cooler you have a heat sink that is in contact with the cpu, the heat from the cpu transfers into the heat sink. from the heat sink the heat transfers to the air that moves pasted it. With water cooling the heat from the cpu transfers to the water block and from there it is dispersed into the liquid flowing through the system. the water then carries it to a radiator where the heat is again transferred into the air. The reason that water cooling is more effective is that heat can be more easily moved from metal to water than it can from metal to air thus water gets the heat away from the components faster.

In short water cooling works much the same way air cooling works.

Holy fuck I understand everything now....

Thank you...

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I'm willing to bet a fair number of people around here didn't save any of the boxes, manuals, or packaging of anything they bought--no matter how stupid that may be. 

I personally save everything until the warranty expires. 

Same here. I knew I'd end up having to send something back, I'm surprised they don't do like most companies and say "well if you lost (insert smallest part/accessory imaginable) the warranty is void"

So was there a reason why the Q6600 was the most popular Kentsfield Core 2 Quad processor? Or even out of all of the whole lineup from 06 to 09?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I was looking at PCIe USB 3 cards and I noticed a lot of them are PCIe x1. This may sound silly, but will this be enough to support the full speed of USB 3? PCIe 2.0 lanes are theoretically 500MB/s and USB 3 is theortetically 625MB/s, so is this a good way to add USB 3 to old PCs?

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

@FizzyFantom It should be fine

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

VRMs, or voltage regulation modules, as mentioned above, are modules that perform a DC-DC conversion to lower the PSU voltage to something usable by the CPU. This means that the 12V line from your PSU gets converted down to, for example, 1.2V, which your chip needs to operate. The VRMs make sure that the voltage provided to your CPU remains stable, meaning that there is no ripple on the signal. This is needed for a stable operation of the CPU.

MOSFETs, or Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor Field-Effect Transistor is a variant of the field-effect transistor which uses an oxide layer as dielectricum to separate the gate and the drain/source. A field-effect transistor is a switching device that uses an electric field to allow or disallow current to flow through and control the rate at which current flows. These are used to provide high currents to the CPU.

The memory clock speed is the frequency at which memory modules send data to the memory controller (CPU). Say you have a stick of RAM that runs at 2000 MHz. The actual frequency it runs at is 1000 MHz, because DDR (Double Datarate RAM) sends two datasets within each clock period (so the marketing people put 2000 MHz on the box). RAM running at that speed will thus send 2000 datasets of (usually) 64 bits (8 byte) to the controller. This results in an effective data transfer of 2,000,000,000Hz * 8B = 16,000,000,000 B/s = 16 GB/s. Increasing the frequency increases that throughput.

It must be said, though, that higher frequency RAM usually comes at a higher CAS latency. The is the latency between the data being requested and the RAM actually serving it. Basically, higher latency = less IOPS, to put it very simple. Usually though, this small downside is offset by the higher data rate.

That's what this site is for, no need to apologize ;)

FYI, this is the complete answer ;)

Voltage regulation module or VRM for short is the circuit that controls the power delivery to the CPU. It is made of (most importantly) from a specific type of transistor called MOSFET.

VRMs and MOSFETs are just simply the CPUs power delivery. How much voltage can be fed to the CPU depends on the reliabilty of the two. And video memory clock speed is pretty much how fast memory works at. Nothing different from regular clock speeds. It's just how fast something works.

Thank you all for the information, this some really good stuff. :)

If you change the cpu on your motherboard, i.e intel 4th gen to 5th gen on a z97 chipset will your computer still run?

My motherboard does not support SLI.

750(ti) can't SLI.

Can i put a 750ti in this rig for physx?

post-124064-0-11082600-1409968088.png

when you swap out the ram on a computer do you loose any data?

Nah, any data in ram will get scrapped anyway if power is cut, permanent data is in the HDD/SSD

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

What are all these chipsets people rage over?

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

My motherboard does not support SLI.

750(ti) can't SLI.

Can i put a 750ti in this rig for physx?

There's really no point in doing PhysX nowadays. And if so, it's mostly the CPU.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Holy fuck I understand everything now....

Thank you...

Is this sarcastic I can't tell?

Is this sarcastic I can't tell?

No like actually, I still don't understand all of watercooling but you made my brain better.

Basically, I thought (how CPU coolers work) "cold hits the CPU to keep it cool." Didn't know you actually exhausted heat FROM it....

Like actually.

I feel dumb.

Also, reservoirs in watercooling. Ya see, I'm still learning.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||