Tech Things You Dont Know But Are Too Afraid To Ask.

why do people think dom plats are sexy? :P

Because they are

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

my dumb question. :unsure:

what is bluetooth and how is it different to normal wifi

Its all about those volumetric clouds

OK this is going to so sound utterly stupid, but I am totally confused with this as there are so many different ways and ugh everyone says the other is bad But How do you correctly apply thermal paste/compound. I have seen more than 10 different ways of doing it all claiming which one is better i trust Linus and Logan with the pea technique but is it really the best?

Whichever method you choose, it's really all about maximising contact and minimising the number of air bubbles in doing so.  The pea method from my experience creates the best contact with the least number of air bubbles.

If you turned an anti-static bag inside out, would it still be unsafe to put a part on it?

Why don't GPU manufacturers flip their designs so the PCB faces down and the fans point up?

^ Possibly due to convection currents where hot air rises and vice versa. My guess is that the current configuration where the pcb faces up has the best separation between hot and cold air.

Main differences for consumers are the range, speed, and power envelope.

From a technical standpoint, BT and WiFi differ in protocol, with WiFi being asymetrical

(client/server model), and has all traffic going through the master access point, whereas

BT is symetrical, and devices send data directly to one another.

Both use the same frequency range.

what are chipsets on a motherboard and what are timings on ram?

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Main differences for consumers are the range, speed, and power envelope.

From a technical standpoint, BT and WiFi differ in protocol, with WiFi being asymetrical

(client/server model), and has all traffic going through the master access point, whereas

BT is symetrical, and devices send data directly to one another.

Both use the same frequency range.

Just to add a few things, a big difference between the two is in fact their protocol and how they actually transmit data over the 2.4ghz band. Bluetooth uses frequency-hopping spread spectrum where as most WIFI implementations use orthogonal frequency-division multiplexing. Also WIFI can be setup in a adhoc fasion and communicate directly with other devices as well.

What is M.2? Why is it so important? How should its existence affect my purchasing decisions? *is ashamed*

What does a Hyper Threading do?

Hyper threading enables extra virtual cores in a processor. It gives some benefit to CPU intensive tasks.

What is M.2? Why is it so important? How should its existence affect my purchasing decisions? *is ashamed*

M.2 is a SATA interface that is VERY SMALL, it is primarily used for ultra slim notebooks.

Bluetooth is a wireless connection that has lower range, lower bandwidth, and lower power consumption compared to wifi.

M.2 is a form factor of SSD that is made to be smaller and faster. The design is pretty iffy, though, and its future is kind of uncertain, some people think it's going to be phased out pretty soon with Sata Express and straight-up PCIe. It's managed to get itself a nice little niche in the gaming laptop/ultrabook market, as they are much thinner than normal SSDs, even mSATA ones. You can get deadly-fast laptops, especially the MSI with 4 of them in RAID 0.

when you swap out the ram on a computer do you loose any data?

No, well... If you swap RAM when the pc is turned ON then yes you will lose data, but i dont think anyone in their right mind would do that.

what does 32 and 64 'bit' mean in terms of operating systems ?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IknbgnJLSRY

Okay so I want to have a few things cleared up concerning product keys for copies of windows, but I suppose these questions may appear dumb to some people:

Will a windows installation disk work with different activation keys, or only the one it is boxed with?

If I take this disk and create an iso image out of it, is the situation still the same regarding the newly created iso?

Does all of this depend on internet connection?

Yes it will work with different product keys.

It doesn't depend on internet connection.

Is the asus maximus iv hero z87 motherboard compatable to intels new broadwell series CPU's?

I don't think so.

I've been wondering about this fibre-optic craze, because the main thing that seems to be going around is that "it's a hundred-year infrastructure, you don't need to upgrade the lines, all you need to do is upgrade the boxes at each end"

I get that fibre-optic is absolutely beastly-fast and efficient, and that it makes 10-gigabit over long distances a breeze, but am I the only one thinking that they are sugar-coating it a little bit as a miracle solution that will never need replacing? Surely there are physical limitations to the fibres?

I don't know like anything about the voltage and numbers of rails in a psu

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC-ImSeYn2A

My question:

What do the CPU pins do, do they each do separate things or what?  :S

Soo many games, not enough money to get any.

My question:

What do the CPU pins do, do they each do separate things or what?  :S

Transfer electricity between the CPU and the motherboard, with different pins used for different parts of the processor.

What is the difference, if any, between running 1 x 8GB stick of ram and 2 x 4GB?

i7-4790 | GA-Z97X | EVGA GTX 760 | Corsair 450D | Corsair TX750 | Corsair H100i | Corsair K70 w/ Reds & Logitech G710+ | Logitech G303

What is the difference, if any, between running 1 x 8GB stick of ram and 2 x 4GB?

I was under the impression that having 2 sticks means a CPU can access both sticks at the same time making it run faster, however with RAM being really fast anyways I don't know how much (if any) performance gain there is

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

Using dual lane (2x4) gives you about 5-10% increase in RAM speed, over a single lane (1x8). To work however the dual lane technology needs to be supported from the mobo and the CPU.

My question: why going with 2/3/4 GPUs doesn't increase its performance 2x/3x/4x times? Is it so hard to make drivers for it, or is there some other limitations?

Sorry If this was asked already, couldn't read all pages.