Tech Things You Dont Know But Are Too Afraid To Ask.

Why do you plug your monitor cable into the graphics card instead of your motherboard

the gpu has it's own output, the output on the motherboard goes to the igpu/cpu, i think it should be possible to use them interchangeably but i haven't gotten it to work properly, besides isn't it better to plug directly into the ouput as opposed to going through the pci-e lane then to another ouput on the mobo, most pci-e cards have their own outputs.

How to dual boot Mac OS X and Windows 7/8? 

to have two operating systems on a single drive you have to partition it, basically if you have a 100Gb drive you could potentially create two 50GB partitions, splitting the drive in two, installing OS X on one and windows 7 on the other.

to have them both running at once you would have to delve into virtual machines. 

What the heck is a kernel?

As far as I understand, it's a 'program' which bridges the gap between hardware and software allowing the two to work together. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

As far as I understand, it's a 'program' which bridges the gap between hardware and software allowing the two to work together. 

...I doubt I'll ever understand how to write an entire OS.

Yeah that's it in a nutshell, it's the software that interfaces between the hardware and the applications. As computer components talk in binary and not C/C++, the Kernel is the software that converts instructions to language the hardware understands, and vice versa on the return. 

As it is the most critical part of the operating system, it is protected in the memory when the computer is run.

Yeah that's it in a nutshell, it's the software that interfaces between the hardware and the applications. As computer components talk in binary and not C/C++, the Kernel is the software that converts instructions to language the hardware understands, and vice versa on the return. 

As it is the most critical part of the operating system, it is protected in the memory when the computer is run.

Actually, that's incorrect. When C/C++ gets compiled, it gets converted to instructions the CPU can understand. The kernel is a piece of software that governs the creation and management of processes, protects important data structures, provides system calls to speak to the hardware securely, and so on...

Strictly speaking, you wouldn't need a kernel to interface with hardware. In embedded systems, for example, often gets worked without an OS. The reason computer software is designed in such a way that only the kernel can access the hardware is that otherwise malicious programs could take over the hardware.

Actually, that's incorrect. When C/C++ gets compiled, it gets converted to instructions the CPU can understand. The kernel is a piece of software that governs the creation and management of processes, protects important data structures, provides system calls to speak to the hardware securely, and so on...

Strictly speaking, you wouldn't need a kernel to interface with hardware. In embedded systems, for example, often gets worked without an OS. The reason computer software is designed in such a way that only the kernel can access the hardware is that otherwise malicious programs could take over the hardware.

Well there you go, thanks for the correction :)

here's a easy one how to take over the world  :) 

and if you help me i will make you my head slave instead of just slave 

my computer beats all computers in a 1,000 NM radius

hoe does the product key ckeck work while installing windows? it seems so odd that it kinda "knows" which keys are distribted

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

Networking. Man it's like a headache just thinking about it for me. 

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

Here's one that has always bugged me and even though the founder has disproved it, I still can't get over it nor kick the habit...

Why is it that Linux is pronounced by literally everyone with a short "i", including Linus Torvalds himself? I always thought that because the name "Linus" from which it was derived is pronounced with a long "i", then the name Linux would have one. Is it because it's predecessor Minix had a short "i"? or did it just sort of happen that way for no real reason and so everyone uses it?

Please tell me I'm not the only one who pronounces Linux with a long "i", because I always get called out on it and it bugs me because technically both ways work in terms of English pronunciation rules... I feel so alone and weird.

and imao Li-nux sounds way cooler to say than "Linnux".

Here's one that has always bugged me and even though the founder has disproved it, I still can't get over it nor kick the habit...

Why is it that Linux is pronounced by literally everyone with a short "i", including Linus Torvalds himself? I always thought that because the name "Linus" from which it was derived is pronounced with a long "i", then the name Linux would have one. Is it because it's predecessor Minix had a short "i"? or did it just sort of happen that way for no real reason and so everyone uses it?

Please tell me I'm not the only one who pronounces Linux with a long "i", because I always get called out on it and it bugs me because technically both ways work in terms of English pronunciation rules... I feel so alone and weird.

I'd rather say Linnux. It's much cooler.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

hoe does the product key ckeck work while installing windows? it seems so odd that it kinda "knows" which keys are distribted

If you aren't connected to the internet then it won't actually check until you do. Every key is made in such a way that it is unique, but is valid for the version of Windows it is meant for. I don't really understand how this works on a mathematical level, but this is the reason that you can enter a valid product key without it actually checking with MS. This also explains why you can set up Windows with a cracked key for the correct version, but it will then fail to licence with MS servers.

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

I don't know if it really matters. It's similar to the "you-buntu", "ooobuntu" thing. I know people who pronounce them in different ways, but we still know what we're talking about so it doesn't bother me much.

The one that really bugs me is "jif", when people say that it often takes me a few seconds to figure out what they mean.

I don't know if it really matters. It's similar to the "you-buntu", "ooobuntu" thing. I know people who pronounce them in different ways, but we still know what we're talking about so it doesn't bother me much.

The one that really bugs me is "jif", when people say that it often takes me a few seconds to figure out what they mean.

OMG, am i the only one who says gif as GIF?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

OMG, am i the only one who says gif as GIF?

You're not alone, I barely ever hear anyone say "jiff".

Probably has been asked in this thread, but I don't have the wherewithal to find out.

When reviewers or more tech savvy individuals talk about power delivery and say things like 8+2 or 3+3 about the phases, what exactly do they mean, and what difference do these numbers make?

Linux is pronounced with a "short i", because Linus Torvalds is Finish and his name therefore isn't pronounced in the American way, it's pronounced with a "short i" (well, actually not in the sense that Americans pronounce the i in a short fashion, but still).

Fun fact: Linus actually wanted to call it Freax, but the guy hosting his FTP server gave him a folder called "Linux", which was a contraption of Linus and UNIX.

Ubuntu is pronounced ooboontoo because it's an African word and over there they pronounce it like that.

All the keys adhere to a mathematical formula or algorythm of some sort. After they are declared valid, they're sent to M$ for verification (so that you can't use a key multiple times)

What is the greatest, non-LED backlit, Cherry MX keyboard of all time?

1) How do people get viruses when they don't download files?

2) What makes a good motherboard?

3) Can you have unequivalent RAM? Say you have a laptop with 2gb (1+1) can you do 5gb (4+1)? Is there really any reason to do it any other way? 

13" Macbook Pro i7 (I7-3520M) | 16gb RAM | 128gb Sandisk SSD

Current build------------------------------Future build↓ 
Intel Core i7-4790K 3.5GHz Quad-Core | G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 | Asus GTX 970 Strix | Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 | MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 | 128gb Sandisk SSD | Corsair H90 94.0 CFM Liquid

1) How do people get viruses when they don't download files?

2) What makes a good motherboard?

3) Can you have unequivalent RAM? Say you have a laptop with 2gb (1+1) can you do 5gb (4+1)? Is there really any reason to do it any other way? 

1) You really can't...I either you visit a website, which automatically downloads something, or you download something yourself. 

2) A board that has the features you require is a good board. As for an overclocking board, you want something with good power phases.

3) Yes, but it can't run in dual channel. So, its not something you want to be doing. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Should i upgrade from my evga gtx 780 to an evga gtx 980? 

Nope, the 780 is still a great card.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Does the GTX 980 effectively replace the 780?

It also replaces the 780Ti 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler