Tech Things You Dont Know But Are Too Afraid To Ask.

Why does everyone hate TN so much? Not trolling or starting a flame war serious question, I have 2 TN panels and yeah the viewing angles aren't good but who cares?! Like seriously is everyone either sitting 3" from their screen or are they like hanging off the side of their chair? And color wise I have used a IPS display (granted it was a low end one) for a few days and it was impossible to get the colors to look as good as my TN screen, they were either really yellow or really blue

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

Why does everyone hate TN so much? Not trolling or starting a flame war serious question, I have 2 TN panels and yeah the viewing angles aren't good but who cares?! Like seriously is everyone either sitting 3" from their screen or are they like hanging off the side of their chair? And color wise I have used a IPS display (granted it was a low end one) for a few days and it was impossible to get the colors to look as good as my TN screen, they were either really yellow or really blue

Good IPS displays look much nicer, although, I agree viewing angles are kind of irrelevant (for me anyway)...but in surround gaming, maybe viewing angles would matter... 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I was under the impression that having 2 sticks means a CPU can access both sticks at the same time making it run faster, however with RAM being really fast anyways I don't know how much (if any) performance gain there is

Using dual lane (2x4) gives you about 5-10% increase in RAM speed, over a single lane (1x8). To work however the dual lane technology needs to be supported from the mobo and the CPU.

Interesting, thanks.

Does dual lane introduce stability issues? And if so, how significant?

i7-4790 | GA-Z97X | EVGA GTX 760 | Corsair 450D | Corsair TX750 | Corsair H100i | Corsair K70 w/ Reds & Logitech G710+ | Logitech G303

Interesting, thanks.

Does dual lane introduce stability issues? And if so, how significant?

No

What is CFM on a fan?

The volume of air the fan is able to push in a certain period of time. (Cubic feet per minute)

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

The volume of air the fan is able to push in a certain period of time. (Cubic feet per minute)

OK thanks, makes sense :)

I've been wondering about this fibre-optic craze, because the main thing that seems to be going around is that "it's a hundred-year infrastructure, you don't need to upgrade the lines, all you need to do is upgrade the boxes at each end"

I get that fibre-optic is absolutely beastly-fast and efficient, and that it makes 10-gigabit over long distances a breeze, but am I the only one thinking that they are sugar-coating it a little bit as a miracle solution that will never need replacing? Surely there are physical limitations to the fibres?

Some of the drawbacks to fiber include a limited bend radius. Fiber can only transfer light where as copper can carry power in the case of (POE)Power Over Ethernet, not that this is normally a issue. Also the cost to test and repair fiber is much more expensive due to the specialized equipment required.

If you would like to know more http://www.excitingip.com/978/advantages-and-disadvantages-of-ofc-optical-fiber-cable-communication/

I've never quite understood what CAS latency indicates on RAM, and whether or not you should actually care...  :ph34r:

The time between a memory controller accessing an address and the data being available in that memory controller, measured in clock cycles.

For gaming on a discrete GPU, 1866 MHz and CL9 is good enough.

For gaming on an APU, 2133MHz should be good enough. I'm running a CL10 kit but I recommend at least CL9 for an APU.

For video editing and 3D rendering, higher numbers start to become important. I'd go for 2400 MHz and CL9.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Using dual lane (2x4) gives you about 5-10% increase in RAM speed, over a single lane (1x8). To work however the dual lane technology needs to be supported from the mobo and the CPU.

My question: why going with 2/3/4 GPUs doesn't increase its performance 2x/3x/4x times? Is it so hard to make drivers for it, or is there some other limitations?

Sorry If this was asked already, couldn't read all pages.

It's because of PCIE lanes. Less information is movable to and from the CPU. That's why haswell-e is a big deal, they have 40 PCIE lanes now

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Just for the record, you're not alone. I love TN panels and can't really see why everyone hates them so much. As someone who loves price to performance, and who happens to absolutely adore fast computers (I prefer speed over raw power) TN panels are excellent because in terms of response times they blow away every other competitor with absolutely no problem. I feel as if colour reproduction is more of a thing for more picky gamers and renderers.

I mean,TN panels already render more colours than we can differentiate between with the naked eye anyway. you can't tell the difference between one grayscale value and the adjacent ones, and there are only 256 of those.

I guess the fact that I'm colourblind between blue and purple helps my skepticism of the superiority of IPS panels, but...

My question: why going with 2/3/4 GPUs doesn't increase its performance 2x/3x/4x times? Is it so hard to make drivers for it, or is there some other limitations?

Sorry If this was asked already, couldn't read all pages.

The problem there is that you have the PCIe bus communicating with two GPUs at the same time, so it takes a lot longer for the GPUs to allocate which individual task needs to be done where. It still happens almost instantaneously, but it still diminishes the end performance, and the more GPUs you have, the less your return will be.

Look up the law of diminishing returns. it's a fundamental law of economics. Applies to literally everything along the lines of striping.

The problem there is that you have the PCIe bus communicating with two GPUs at the same time, so it takes a lot longer for the GPUs to allocate which individual task needs to be done where. It still happens almost instantaneously, but it still diminishes the end performance, and the more GPUs you have, the less your return will be.

Look up the law of diminishing returns. it's a fundamental law of economics. Applies to literally everything along the lines of striping.

Thanks that makes sense.

Is it possible some kind of dual/quad channel technology to be made for this? I imagine that if its possible someone would have don it already, but i still have to ask...

Why do people still say RAM speeds in megaherz? 2400MHz? More like 2,4Ghz! And what are chipsets and what do they do? X99, X79?

CPU:Intel® Core™ i7-4690K  MOBO: Asus Z97 PRO  RAM: 16GB Kingston GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 980 CASE: Cooler Master SSD: Samsung EVO 850 240GB  HDD: 2TB WD Red PSU: CX750M  CPU COOLER: 212 Evo CASE FANS: Cooler Master

Thanks that makes sense.

Is it possible some kind of dual/quad channel technology to be made for this? I imagine that if its possible someone would have don it already, but i still have to ask...

That is basically what Crossfire and SLI are. You need a chipset and processor that can handle accessing multiple sticks of RAM at the same time for quad channel in the same way the processors need to be built to handle accessing multiple video cards at the same time.

It's a bit more complicated than that because the technologies are fundamentally different, but to be honest, RAM is affected by the same law of diminishing returns. Quad channel is not exactly twice as good (because fast is not the right word) as Dual channel. It's almost twice as good, and you get a gigantic performance increase off of it, but you aren't completely doubling performance or anything.

I've been wondering about this fibre-optic craze, because the main thing that seems to be going around is that "it's a hundred-year infrastructure, you don't need to upgrade the lines, all you need to do is upgrade the boxes at each end"

I get that fibre-optic is absolutely beastly-fast and efficient, and that it makes 10-gigabit over long distances a breeze, but am I the only one thinking that they are sugar-coating it a little bit as a miracle solution that will never need replacing? Surely there are physical limitations to the fibres?

Fiber optics sends data via light pulses. Which means that data is can be transferred at light speed. The only limitation on speed is how fast the boxes on each end can process and modulate the pulses. Other limitations are the fact that the fiber itself is not 100% transparent so the distance is not as far as it potentially can be. Also, its more fragile and you can't bend it excessively.

Main PC:
CPU: 3700x Motherboard: X570  RAM: 2x16GB 3600Mhz GPU: RTX 3080 Case: Corsair 4000D Air Storage: 1TB NVMe 2x250GB SSD RAID 0 2TB HDD PSU: 1000W Gold Display: Acer X34A Peripherals: Corsair K95 RGB Red, Razer Viper Ultimate

Laptop:
Lenovo Thinkbook 13s  CPU: i5-8265U RAM: 8GB  Storage: 256GB SSD Display: Dell P2414H Peripherals: CMStorm Quickfire TK Brown, Razer Atheris 

Audio:
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 Ohm, FiiO E11, Stoner Acoustics UD100, Shure SE-215, Logitech Z906, Mission 731, Altec Lansing ADA-885, xDuoo UA-05, AKG K7XX,FiiO X3, FiiO K3

Good IPS displays look much nicer, although, I agree viewing angles are kind of irrelevant (for me anyway)...but in surround gaming, maybe viewing angles would matter... 

I just got an IPS panel, and it looks MUCH nicer than my laptop's TN panel, I used to edit my backgrounds to give them a deeper feel, once I got my TN panel, I realized that my backgrounds were already nice and deep, I just had a crappy panel. For me changing to an IPS panel is like changing to an SSD, if you haven't done it, you won't notice the difference at first, but once you get into it, you won't be able to go back.

I don't have a surround gaming set-up, but I do still use multiple monitors for programming, and the viewing angles are really nice to have when you have multiple monitors, I have to constantly adjust my laptop monitor if I shift even slightly because I use it as my secondary monitor, and it's at an odd angle. So if you are only using one monitor the viewing angles aren't that important, but once you start using 2 or three, it becomes a bigger deal.

Also, if you have people of greatly varying heights using a shared computer, say someone 5' 6" and someone 6' 2", having those viewing angles would be really good for them so they don't have to constantly change the angle of the monitor when they use it.

OK this is going to so sound utterly stupid, but I am totally confused with this as there are so many different ways and ugh everyone says the other is bad But How do you correctly apply thermal paste/compound. I have seen more than 10 different ways of doing it all claiming which one is better i trust Linus and Logan with the pea technique but is it really the best?

That depends on the CPU. Usually Line for Intel and Dot for AMD. It varies with the CPU Thermal Interface Material. AMD has it on the middle on most CPUs so dot but still some pf their chips will be different. Go to a Arctic silver website and there you can see different methods for different CPUs. TIM material matters a bit but mostly depends on CPUs.

My question is what is actually mining on CPU and GPU ? I saw Linus' video about Bitcoin and others but still I don't know what or how to do it.

| CPU: Intel Core i5 8400 | Motherboard: MSI Z370 PC Pro | CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 PLUS | GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 AMP! Edition | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 16GB DDR4 2400 MHz | PSU: Corsair VS650 | SSD: SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Monitor: Dell S2240L | OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 |

they faster and allow more data to transfer at a time than 8x lanes

Why do you plug your monitor cable into the graphics card instead of your motherboard

Why do you plug your monitor cable into the graphics card instead of your motherboard

Because the graphics card is the component doing the work.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler