GTX meaning

Cats can use computers

so with nearly all consumer nvidia cards it has gtx in the name i.e gtx titan , gtx 970 , gtx 480 . what does gtx mean

>tfw no princessan 

my rig : Intel Xeon 1246-v3 , asus z97 sabertooth mark 1 , 16gb hyperx fury , 1tb wd black , 240gb hyperx 3k ssd , corsair 650w RM psu , hyper 212 evo , gtx 970 ,

and a cat

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1851284/definition-gtx.html

If you don't want to click the link: It means nothing, just an indication of how good the series is (like before GTX you had GT)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

It's basically a way of saying that it's a higher-end card, and the GT cards are the lower end ones.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

GTX is a label for their top and mid tier cards. As per what GT is a label for their entry tier cards.

AMD nomenclature works the same way. R9 is for top and mid tier cards while R7 is for their entry tier cards.

Actually nothing; back in the day there were several prefix that indicated the power of the card. We had GT cards, GTS cards (that were better, followed by GS and SE), and finally GTX was the top of the line, adding stuff like 'ultra' at the end for the even higher models.

GTX means it's sexier then before

Giant Texture Xplosion

I know it's not funny, shut up

I got sent to prison after following Linus' instructions to #Makebombs

Forum's resident nihilist.

A JRPG just wouldn't be a JRPG if it didn't end with teenagers using the power of friendship to kill God.

GTX is a label for their top and mid tier cards. As per what GT is a label for their entry tier cards.

AMD nomenclature works the same way. R9 is for top and mid tier cards while R7 is for their entry tier cards.

R7 is mid to low, r5 is entry

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

keeeeeeeeeeeeep comin

>tfw no princessan 

my rig : Intel Xeon 1246-v3 , asus z97 sabertooth mark 1 , 16gb hyperx fury , 1tb wd black , 240gb hyperx 3k ssd , corsair 650w RM psu , hyper 212 evo , gtx 970 ,

and a cat

r5 exists?!

yup

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

It's like cars. My Pontiac G6 gas a base model, a slightly better GT model, and the better GXP version. All the names are really signifying are higher level trims. In GPUs, it's kind of the same, you have GT for low end or budget, and then GTX for higher end performance.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

R7 is mid to low, r5 is entry

According to Wikipedia tho I have yet to see many R5 cards on the market let alone entry level GT.

• R9 = Top tier
  • R7 = Mid tier
  • R5 = Entry tier

Tho here on LTT I would label GTX as entry to top tier and R9 mid to top tier with R7 as entry tier. As anything in the GT and R5 lineup really isn't even worth purchasing.

Unless you're only playing CS:GO around the clock.

According to Wikipedia tho I have yet to see many R5 cards on the market let alone entry level GT.

• R9 = Top tier
  • R7 = Mid tier
  • R5 = Entry tier

Tho here on LTT I would label GTX as entry to top tier and R9 mid to top tier with R7 as entry tier. As anything in the GT and R5 lineup really isn't even worth purchasing.

Unless you're only playing CS:GO around the clock.

i play a lot of cs s 

>tfw no princessan 

and a cat

i play a lot of cs s 

The pricing on GT and R5 cards are pretty ludacris. I imagine supply and demand is working in that favor as there's probably not many that come off the production line as higher end cards. Honestly who wants a GT 740 when a R7 260x can be had for the same price while being nearly twice as fast. I say leave GT and R5 to OEM's.

The only one that has a meaning on Nvidia GPUs (no longer used these days) is: SE, for Special Sucky Edition, and it is true. It was the worst model you could get.

Has horrible reference design cooler (cheapo quality, hot, and loud), slower specs and less memory.

I always presumed that whoever named them, went with car naming conventions back in the day.

When Nvidia first started releasing gaming cards, mazda and nissan had many popular sports sedans & hatchbacks.

The badging convention for them was GT (Grand Touring), GTS (Grand Touring Sports) and then GT-X and GT-R (Grand Touring Racing)

Nvidia then released cards during this import cars era that were XXXGT, XXXXGTS and XXXXGTX.

Since the 200 series they moved into GT XXX, GTS XXX and finally back to GTX XXX.

That's my assumptions as to where the branding originated.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

Giant Texture Xplosion

I know it's not funny, shut up

HEY I ACTUALLY LAUGHED AT THAT

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Green Trash

Green Trash Xtreme

There should be a thread devoted to making up funny hate phrases out of hardware abbreviations as most of us already do for vehicles.

For fun.

I think the original GT cards were to promote speed and 'coolness' that's related with Gran Turismo and Grand Tourer racing cars in general. GT is a thing that's often put onto sports oriented cars, so after the GT series, they wanted something that'd sound better than the previous, to naturally GTX was born as X can mean multiplied, accelarated, extra, so on.

CURRENT: intel i9-10900K ASUS ROG Maximus XII Hero ROG Strix RTX 3090 32GB 3600MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro RM1000i Lian Li O11-Dynamic

OFFICE: intel i5-3570K ASUS Z77 mITX EVGA GTX 970 SC 16GB 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance LP Silverstone SFX PSU Fractal Design Node 202

I do know one thing. Envidia(nvidia) is spanish for envy. That's why their logo is green (green with envy)

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black