1 Time posters

cesrai

I agree with @LukaP its not just a giveaway for the forums its for everybody who watches LTT 

As @LukaP said, they could be a long time Youtube viewer, only recently signing up to the forums.

Just because they have 1 forum post, doesn't mean they are just here for the giveaways .

Exactly this is my point .

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

THEY SHOUD DIE!!!

IT IS A SHAME THAT PPL ONLY JOIN LTT FOR TRYING TO WIN AND THEN NEVER SEEN AFTER!

PPL WITH ATLEAST 100 POSTS SHOUD BE ABLE TO ENTER! OR MAYBE 500 POSTS!

ARGHH!!

Sorry, I expressed my feelings to well, right?

There are plenty of loyal viewers who aren't part of the forum

27d715c8e510eccae9946838b4da805a.png

? if its just to have a discussion between @DIV1D3 why not use a PM

^

500+ posts only should join or people with a few posts 100+ but aren't shitposts 

We've had and probably will have another giveaway for the 'more interactive' forum members in the future.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

There are plenty of loyal viewers who aren't part of the forum

^

We've had and probably will have another giveaway for the 'more interactive' forum members in the future.

For the PM I wanted to hear other people not only @*insert name here* also wanted or people to know my opinion and have a debate with them.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Conclusion: 1st time posters are sometimes.. maybe.. long time viewers we may not know but the giveaway that linus has been handing out is just pure luck. Numerous ways to cheat the system but thats just what people do, they want to minimalise the paricipants to increase their own chance of winning, bots are the opposite. Including me!

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

It's just a giveaway... This discussion is brought back every time. The giveaway is not held for the forum, it is held for LTT viewers and is simply administered on the forum. People need to stop feeling so entitled to winning free stuff.

Cheers,

Linus

Conclusion: 1st time posters are sometimes.. maybe.. long time viewers we may not know but the giveaway that linus has been handing out is just pure luck. Numerous ways to cheat the system but thats just what people do, they want to minimalise the paricipants to increase their own chance of winning, bots are the opposite. Including me!

Everyone wants that I want a giveaway for only 2000+ posters and my chances of winning skyrockets but I'm not an asshole so I won't annoy people about it.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

It's just a giveaway... This discussion is brought back every time. The giveaway is not held for the forum, it is held for LTT viewers and is simply administered on the forum. People need to stop feeling so entitled to winning free stuff.

Yeah this too.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Everyone wants that I want a giveaway for only 2000+ posters and my chances of winning skyrockets but I'm not an asshole so I won't annoy people about it.

Greed consumes us all... all...

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

Greed consumes us all... all...

I try to stay away from it it's very very bad.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Well I've been a fan of Linus on youtube both on ncix tech tips and on his linus tt and cat tips, long time sub aswell...and i dont feel like it to spend alot of time here, does that make me a bad person if i registered here and decided i wanted to participate in a giveaway... i think not..

some of us who joined here, and dont have a ton of posts, are possibly subbed and follow linus for much longer time than forum members with thousands of posts...so

cut the cr*p :D

Shouldn't matter how many posts they have here. They could be a long time viewer of LTT, but have never felt a need to join the forums. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Shouldn't matter how many posts they have here. They could be a long time viewer of LTT, but have never felt a need to join the forums. 

I've met quite a few of them through work; not everyone feels the need to be apart of a forum. I'm a huge Achievement Hunter and MightyCarMods fan but I'm not active in either of their communities. 

Yes it shouldn't.

Well I've been a fan of Linus on youtube both on ncix tech tips and on his linus tt and cat tips, long time sub aswell...and i dont feel like it to spend alot of time here, does that make me a bad person if i registered here and decided i wanted to participate in a giveaway... i think not..

some of us who joined here, and dont have a ton of posts, are possibly subbed and follow linus for much longer time than forum members with thousands of posts...so

cut the cr*p :D

Yeah cut the crap people.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

THEY SHOUD DIE!!!

IT IS A SHAME THAT PPL ONLY JOIN LTT FOR TRYING TO WIN AND THEN NEVER SEEN AFTER!

PPL WITH ATLEAST 100 POSTS SHOUD BE ABLE TO ENTER! OR MAYBE 500 POSTS!

ARGHH!!

Sorry, I expressed my feelings to well, right?

So what happens to people who want to join giveaways?

The better approach (where possible) is to have 2 giveaways, one for the people new to the (forum) community (The are hosted here in part because those new users could end up liking the forum and stay, like I did) and one for the more active users of the forum.

Like LukaP said, the giveaways are for everyone in the community, forum or not everything counts. Yes, sometimes you get people who were just trawling the internet looking for stuff they could get for free (I won't lie, I've done it) but thats a minority of the group.

I think a simple 5-10 post requirement would filter out alot of the giveaway surfers, and hopefully after engaging a little bit in a couple of threads they will stick around

They should limit high value giveaways to people of the Veteran Member group and above personally. Tho it will never work like that as it wont draw traffic to the community. The fact that you can enter with one post allows Linus to traffic a lot of people from outside sources such as his YouTube channel to his community. So there are good reasons for doing so. Tho I think there should at least be a grace period in place. As to where if a person with only 3 posts wins a high value giveaway that the Linus group holds onto that item until said member has proven themselves worthy of the community. Otherwise you can just give it away to a follow up member who has already established them self within the community.

I think a simple 5-10 post requirement would filter out alot of the giveaway surfers, and hopefully after engaging a little bit in a couple of threads they will stick around

Don't agree why should they engage in the forums maybe they just want to watch videos not to engage in forums.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

They should limit high value giveaways to people of the Veteran Member group and above personally. Tho it will never work like that as it wont draw traffic to the community. The fact that you can enter with one post allows Linus to traffic a lot of people from outside sources such as his YouTube channel to his community. So there are good reasons for doing so. Tho I think there should at least be a grace period in place. As to where if a person with only 3 posts wins a high value giveaway that the Linus group holds onto that item until said member has proven themselves worthy of the community. Otherwise you can just give it away to a follow up member who has already established them self within the community.

Why should the person who watch the video get in the forums ? there already in the community of LMG once they engage in their videos, sure 3 posts I'll shit post the forums, I don't think being a one time poster is wrong I just want to win.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Don't agree why should they engage in the forums maybe they just want to watch videos not to engage in forums.

True but some giveaways can simply be one post and that's fine, but a few giveaways designed to be more for forum users would also be nice, the same way some twitch streams do subscriber only give aways and open giveaways.

True but some giveaways can simply be one post and that's fine, but a few giveaways designed to be more for forum users would also be nice, the same way some twitch streams do subscriber only give aways and open giveaways.

There was one or two I don't know.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

sorry for interupting this topic but had to bring in my perspective.

I ust entered the forums, yes to sign mysemf in on the NUC giveaway.

I've been watching linus a long time now and I watch almost every video of him.

I'm from Belgium so the timezone is also not very interesting to watch the wan-show live but I watch every single one of them on the youtube channel when I have the time.

My native language isn't english so it's a bit complicated to have a full normal conversation with you guys lol :P I do my best :D

I also don't have a lot of time to sit at my desk and read forum topics. I have another hobby that is taking a LOT of time and I just started my own business (from my hobby) after my full time job.

So when i'm really home relaxing i'm not always in front of my desk surfing the forums. I do my accounting and watch linuses wanshows on my other screen lol.

I really want to participate in conversations on this forum, I just don't have the time for it.

Also I need a lot more time to type al this than you guys would I think :D have to translate everything in my head and then tpye it.

sorry for my long post, just wanted to tell you guys that, yes I watch linus everyday and I support him in every way I can, I ckick the sponser ads etc to help him in every way possible.

anyway,

Have a great new year all! :-)

Why should the person who watch the video get in the forums ? there already in the community of LMG once they engage in their videos, sure 3 posts I'll shit post the forums, I don't think being a one time poster is wrong I just want to win.

A YouTube channel is not a community.

Well.. I may not be in position to say this but seriously no need to be jelly here (I didn't won a single giveaway in my entire life..... yet cuz can't predict the future)

But I will give this situation.

Person A just started watching LTT and joined the forums for less than a week.. and yet his post count is over 100. Yes he contribute to the forums but seriously... more than 100 post in less than a week and all of it are useful information? maybe true but only for a small chance or he is just copying and reformatting on what others just said so it looks like he is contributing.

then there is Person B. He is watching LTT and other channels for several years and a member of this forums for also a couple of years but too shy to post and probably not to techie enough give suggestion (Maybe he is in the learning stage or something but I think that's not always the issue because as I said earlier he is a supporter for a couple of years so he should know tech already but we never know) or maybe he is not that good in english

so the post count of Person B is only 76.

And linus give a giveaway.

So who will be the person that deserves more to win the giveaway? 

Person A or Person B?

Another one... maybe it is just the same as person A but this has a slight difference

If I just spam post without being reported and reached 500 posts without even trying... then am I a worthy person to win?

Case: NZXT H440     CPU: Intel core i7-4790k    RAM: 2x G.Skill ripjaws 4gb 1600mhz   GPU: Soon   CPU Cooler: Stock (will buy a decent one soon)     PSU: CM V650 80+ gold PSU.

This thread seems a tiny bit elitist, but both sides have good points. I believe Linus said in one of his videos that just because they don't post of the Forums doesn't mean they're not a long time loyal fan of the show/community.

Plus don't forget I'm sure Linus is fully aware that by doing a give away he is boosting the number of members on the Forum and by basic marketing numbers some will obviously stick around. 

I could be wrong of course, just throwing my tuppence in here :P

Plus:

I don't mean to sound like a dick, but even some of the major time posters on this Forum are shit posters... Numbers aren't everything. 

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs. And the Universe trying to produce bigger idiots.. The Universe is winning"

(Gaming PC) CPU:- i5 4690k 3.5GHZ . MOTHERBOARD:- MSI G45 Z97 Gaming . CPU Cooler:- H100i . GPU:- ASUS Geforce GTX-780ti Direct CU II OC -x2 SLI . RAM:- 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 4x4GB . CASE:- Corsair 750D Obsidian Series . PSU:- EVGA SuperNova 850W Gold . FANS:- x3 Corsair AF120 RED LED, x2 Corsair AF120 (Red rings) .STORAGE:- Kingston V300 120GB (Boot Drive), x2 1TB WD Blues, x2 500GB Samsungs .

Spoiler

KEYBOARD:- Logitech G19. | GAMEPAD:- Logitech G13. | HEADPHONES:- Logitech G35. | MOUSE:- CM Storm Sentinel Advanced II. | JOYSTICK:- Saitek ST200. | RACING WHEEL:- Logitech Driving Force GT. | OTHER:- TrackIR 5 + Vector Clip | CounterStrike XXL Mousemat

I'v seen or heard about this multiple times for several different youtubers. As a someone who is not avid forum poster I wanted to chime in with my two cents. Requiring a post minimum is stupid. Why, because the goal behind a forum is to contribute information and to help others. Once you start adding ludicrous post requirements in the 100-500 range you are going to start seeing more people who contribute next to nothing or only take the time to make crappy topics or replies that only consist of a few words. If you're lucky maybe a few thought out sentences. With that said, do not assume people who frequently visit the forums and are involved in discussions are the only people who contribute to the development and growth of a channel or company as a whole like LMG for example. I do not frequently post on the forums however I visit them multiple times a week and have done so since I joined. I enjoy reading other discussions about various topics and hardware suggestions. When I feel I am able to contribute something that has not already been said and I have experience with said topic. I will then contribute to the topic... You are also forgetting the people who watch the videos produced, I am one of them. I have watched at the very least 90% of the videos uploaded to LTT in the span of the last year. Aswell as a small chunk prior to that that I have gone back and watched that showed some interest to me or have still been valid and provided useful information I was seeking. This is not counting the videos only uploaded to LTT... I have also watched almost every video uploaded since I started watching the NCIX and techquicke. I feel it is fair to say I have contributed in some shape or form without being a frequent forum posted, which seems to be the problem behind this topic. People don't think others contribute unless they contribute to the forums specifically, at least that is what it appears to me for some/most individuals that bring up this topic.

A YouTube channel is not a community.

This is an absolutely ridiculous statement.
A community is defined as
"a group of people living in the same place or having a particular characteristic in common."
"a feeling of fellowship with others, as a result of sharing common attitudes, interests, and goals."

As many others and myself have stated. There may be people who watch almost every video uploaded and frequently visit the forums but do not specifically contribute to the forum itself, which is perfectly fine.