Logan from TekSyndicate explains why the Xbox One DRM Policy change doesn't make anything better

Jrjy3

First, let me "apologize" for posting about something that Logan from TekSyndicate posted. However, the message he is getting across is completely true.

He's basically saying that Microsoft doesn't care about their customers at all. The only reason they changed the DRM policy is because with what they were using, sales would have been non-existent. Basically, Microsoft is trying to shape their own future, not the future that their customers want, and they will only change if something horrible happens, such as the DRM policy and the negative reaction to that. 

Also, there's a pretty funny meme posted at the top of the page:

xbox%20one%20eighty1.jpg?itok=MmZ8UNHa

Source: https://teksyndicate.com/users/logan/blog/2013/06/19/microsoft-drops-drm-im-still-not-happy

EDIT: YES! I KNOW! Businesses are trying to make money. The point trying to be made here is that businesses like Valve are so successful because they deliver what the customers what. If you think about it, Steam's DRM is very restrictive, but people use it because of things like the summer sales. Businesses can be successful by shoving things down the customers' throats or by providing what customers want to buy, and the best businesses are ones that provide what customers want.

Sony doesn't care either. It's about money - Sony's motivation is much of the same. Money.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

It's all about the money... and with the preorder ratio in favor of PS4, Microsoft knew they're missing out on a hefty chunk of that $$$

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

It has nothing to do with the customers. It's between the companies and who's getting them dollars. It's been like this for plenty of years.

"And yet my mind is screaming, provoked in an icy sweat. It’s pleading and begging for a release, scraping the walls of a padded cell, pounding hopelessly at the floors that won’t even deliver the gift of pain."  - Why I Don't Dream Anymore

Wait... are you saying businesses... are out to make profits??? HOLY CRUD ON A STICK, BATMAN.

no steam's DRM is very different

i share my 3 steam accounts its been  3 years

they dont do anything

i even sold one account before

they dont allow iit but they dont care

same thing with WOW accounts

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Great read and I completely agree.

Steam doesn't spy on us, Sony doesn't spy on us, Nintendo doesn't spy on us. I'd much rather buy and use their services than buy a Xbox One and have a virtual profile of myself in the hands of some weirdo.

Yeah, all companies are out to make a profit, that is beyond obvious, what you're all missing is the fact that Microsoft is forcing us to give marketing data so they can sell us advertisements and sell our information to who knows who. I will not be apart of that.

EDIT: YES! I KNOW! Businesses are trying to make money. The point trying to be made here is that businesses like Valve are so successful because they deliver what the customers what. If you think about it, Steam's DRM is very restrictive, but people use it because of things like the summer sales. Businesses can be successful by shoving things down the customers' throats or by providing what customers want to buy, and the best businesses are ones that provide what customers want.

Businesses like Valve are successful because they are the prominent entity of buying most games online from your PC. Not because they look out for you or care about your needs. The sales are there because sales have slowed down and they want to sell more. They have some of the worst DRM out there, no used games, no sharing, internet connection for some games.

That is exactly what Microsoft wanted to do. We do not know if MS would have had the same sales Valve had on their online market place and now we won't because they have since changed their stance on the whole DRM. 

Microsoft implemented changes in the worst way and gave half ass updates as to how things work which concerned people and back fired on them. If they had everything laid out without having people give different answers at every interview it might have gone over better. 

I think the consumer was a bit of the problem for over reacting also at the smallest changes that could of allowed for cheaper games in the future. But because people get mad over such small things that aren't fully fleshed out this has since been abandoned and we won't be seeing the benefits of the system come into play.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

We do not know if MS would have had the same sales Valve had on their online market place and now we won't because they have since changed their stance on the whole DRM. 

I, too, would have liked to see what Microsoft would have done with their DRM if they had continued with their original policy. I have a very stable and fast internet connection, so the once every 24 hour check-in wouldn't have bothered me. The thing that bothers me, though, is the kinect sending data about you to their database. I'm not okay with that. 

I agree that there was a little bit of an overreaction, but not entirely. Microsoft should be delivering what the consumers want, which is what is going to drive sales. If the majority of the consumers voice their opinion and say they don't want DRM, then Microsoft should take out the DRM, which they did. This kind of overreaction takes away the bad things that people don't want. Sometimes, when the product is awful, an overreaction is necessary to get the company to take action about it.

Businesses like Valve are successful because they are the prominent entity of buying most games online from your PC. Not because they look out for you or care about your needs. The sales are there because sales have slowed down and they want to sell more. They have some of the worst DRM out there, no used games, no sharing, internet connection for some games.

The difference being Steam is entirely digital distribution, where the Xbox One is a console.

Its much easier to accept not being able to share a game you downloaded on Steam than it is with the Xbox, where you have a physical disc. Really that's the issue, its less about DRM itself, more the fact that its on a console. People have always been able to share console games, not being able to is a big deal. Same with always-on on a console, its not something that has ever been there before, and I think everyone agrees shouldn't be on a console.

The difference being Steam is entirely digital distribution, where the Xbox One is a console.

Its much easier to accept not being able to share a game you downloaded on Steam than it is with the Xbox, where you have a physical disc. Really that's the issue, its less about DRM itself, more the fact that its on a console. People have always been able to share console games, not being able to is a big deal. Same with always-on on a console, its not something that has ever been there before, and I think everyone agrees shouldn't be on a console.

Switching to an all digital format is better though. That's what Microsoft was pushing for, and still is along with Sony with their online stores. PC gamers use to be able to share games also before steam came along so I don't get what the big deal is. They were going to allow you to share games with your family and a certain # of friends which steam allows non of.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

Ive decided as soon as they anounced that with their systems in place I wont buy it. They have to let me play offline completely. Thats how I play console games. I dont want them to be online unless they absolutley have to be...like to play online games. Which I barely played on consoles anyway. Killzone2/3. Thats it.

Just make sure every one you know doesnt buy one.

I completely agree with this statement. The experience people are paying for is different on each, and people acknowledge that. When you buy a game on steam, you know that you can't share it with anyone. Similarly, if you buy an Xbox 360 game, you expect to be able to share it with your friends.

That is exactly what Microsoft wanted to do. We do not know if MS would have had the same sales Valve had on their online market place and now we won't because they have since changed their stance on the whole DRM. 

Microsoft implemented changes in the worst way and gave half ass updates as to how things work which concerned people and back fired on them. If they had everything laid out without having people give different answers at every interview it might have gone over better. 

I think the consumer was a bit of the problem for over reacting also at the smallest changes that could of allowed for cheaper games in the future. But because people get mad over such small things that aren't fully fleshed out this has since been abandoned and we won't be seeing the benefits of the system come into play.

+1 except maybe a bit too harsh on steam

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

Logan said exactly what i fell Microsoft is doing to us as customers. Personally after all that Microsoft has done i will not buy a Xbox One or even a Xbox 360. Yea i know Sony isn't much better but right now they are.

+1 except maybe a bit too harsh on steam

Probably but all I see is people saying corporations are bad, they aren't your friends, etc, etc, all the while Valve seems to be the hero company that is in everyone's interest and cares about us. Microsoft tried to do some of the thing Steam does and they got hit with slander about being greedy and anti-consumer. The argument of one being a console and one being a pc is invalid because things change and will if we never allow change than we stifle innovation. Why is it ok on one platform but not another?

The only thing I was not a fan of was the 24hr check in. But the whole system and features revolved around that to make sure you weren't exploiting the system of shared games.

Being able to share a game with up to 9 friends/family and the rumour of potently having 2 people play the same game at the same time from your library is now gone.

Plus while Sony has been 'nice' about the drm on the PS4 it is a massive corporation that deals in making music and movies. They have done some very intrusive drm on music at one point.