Phenom II is still great.

All my mates have the Phenom II X4 965 or 970. Pretty much does what they need for gaming. An intel CPU is never worth, in my opinion, purely for gaming. They are damn expensive, and a couple frames isn't worth double the cost. AMD makes cheap sh*t CPUs and I love it  :lol:

You have that backwards.  An FX processor is never worth it purely for gaming.  At any price point except ultra low budget, Intel is the superior option.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

All my mates have the Phenom II X4 965 or 970. Pretty much does what they need for gaming. An intel CPU is never worth, in my opinion, purely for gaming. They are damn expensive, and a couple frames isn't worth double the cost. AMD makes cheap sh*t CPUs and I love it  :lol:

I was wondering when someone took this topic for a spin and crashed 'n burned. 

This is not what is being said, it's aimed at people recommending FX chips when the old Denebs are actually still better on most occasions. It was not meant to say they're somehow better than Intel, because they're not.

Bump because people need to see this.

FX is not the bang for buck you think it is.

FX only IS enticing when all cores are being used, which is a point I think has been shown over and over again. It's just that gaming isn't the environment where the FX shines, but content production/render does. AMD just miscalculated on how extensive multicore processing developed over the years, now starting to hedge their bets on HSA and GPU processing, which seems to be gathering much more momentum.

To compare speeds,I have a small render farm that has a mix of 8350/8120 and 1090t systems. The 8350 is a good 30% faster than the 1090t's with the 8120s matching the 1090t's in some situations, but usually trailing a bit.

FX only IS enticing when all cores are being used, which is a point I think has been shown over and over again. It's just that gaming isn't the environment where the FX shines, but content production/render does. AMD just miscalculated on how extensive multicore processing developed over the years, now starting to hedge their bets on HSA and GPU processing, which seems to be gathering much more momentum.

I don't think they really calculated for that. I think slapping two 955's together was their only real option.

No.

k.

(elaborate)?

You have that backwards.  An FX processor is never worth it purely for gaming.  At any price point except ultra low budget, Intel is the superior option.

Didn't mention FX processors once. I also mentioned that AMD processors were "cheap" -- referring to low budget.

I was wondering when someone took this topic for a spin and crashed 'n burned. 

This is not what is being said, it's aimed at people recommending FX chips when the old Denebs are actually still better on most occasions. It was not meant to say they're somehow better than Intel, because they're not.

Aight.

To your second point: I read the OP. FX is never a good option unless interested in rendering. I didn't mention FX once in that post. Was talking about Phenom IIs and expanded the reach of comparison from Phenom II vs FX to Phenom II vs intel -- a, too, common argument.

I use a Lenovo T440: i5 4300U, 8GB RAM, 128GB Samsung 840 Evo, 14" 900p display and an external 23" 1080p passive 3D monitor. Extended 6-cell battery with internal 3-cell. Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (I only use open-source software -- haven't paid for a single program yet).

@PutuLips

No about the FX offering being cheap.  While yes, the processor itself is less expensive with FX, you need to factor in high end motherboard with sufficient VRMs, cooling, energy cost per year, and possibly a higher end PSU.  All of this quickly adds up to a more expensive build than a locked i5, while under performing in games.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

And this is the point when it all goes to hell..

Any locked i5, hell even i3s are better for purely gaming, both  as performance and as cost. You can throw a locked i5 on any cheap-o H81 motherboard.

If you want to learn OCing, then AMD will be cheaper. Considering you'll get an aftermarket cooler(Hyper 212 Evo is a good example for both platforms). Boards with good overclocking capabilities are similarly priced for both Intel and AMD. We're talking well-priced boards not expensive stuff such as ROG Formulas, OC Formula from ASRock etc...we're talking decent boards that will push the CPUs as far as it is possible for daily use. I don't think anyone would aim a 5Ghz for daily use...doesn't matter it's intel or AMD....

The FX 8320 is a very good example for a multi-purpose OC rig. I'd par this CPU with an R9 280X, and have a decent 1080p gaming rig, capable of OC-ing, and rendering.

The $ saved on the CPU, because the direct competitor when it comes to unlocked multiplier is i5 4690K(great CPU if you have the money for it), can be spent on a better, more silent cooler, a higher grade PSU or a better case with proper ventilation. The last two things are beneficial for all components, not just for the CPU itself. 

We could argue that intel offers the Pentium G3258 for low budget OC, but that's not a multi-purpose CPU. You can do your job with it as a low budget part though.

This is the point that has two be made. In order to make an FX viable, the requirements should be:

-Multi-purpose usage(gaming, content-creation, multi-tasking)

-OCing

If these two above are not met...then buying an FX is either ignorance or fanboyism.

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

And this is the point when it all goes to hell..

Any locked i5, hell even i3s are better for purely gaming, both as performance and as cost. You can throw a locked i5 on any cheap-o H81 motherboard.

If you want to learn OCing, then AMD will be cheaper. Considering you'll get an aftermarket cooler(Hyper 212 Evo is a good example for both platforms). Boards with good overclocking capabilities are similarly priced for both Intel and AMD. We're talking well-priced boards not expensive stuff such as ROG Formulas, OC Formula from ASRock etc...we're talking decent boards that will push the CPUs as far as it is possible for daily use. I don't think anyone would aim a 5Ghz for daily use...doesn't matter it's intel or AMD....

The FX 8320 is a very good example for a multi-purpose OC rig. I'd par this CPU with an R9 280X, and have a decent 1080p gaming rig, capable of OC-ing, and rendering.

The $ saved on the CPU, because the direct competitor when it comes to unlocked multiplier is i5 4690K(great CPU if you have the money for it), can be spent on a better, more silent cooler, a higher grade PSU or a better case with proper ventilation. The last two things are beneficial for all components, not just for the CPU itself. 

This is the point that has two be made. In order to make an FX viable, the requirements should be:

-Multi-purpose usage(gaming, content-creation, multi-tasking)

-OCing

If these two above are not met...then buying an FX is either ignorance or fanboyism.

Phenom's cost a shit load less than either FX or an i3.

i7 5930k . 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 . Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming G1-WIFI . Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP! 4GB SLi . Crucial M550 1TB SSD . LG BD . Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl . SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750w . BenQ GW2765HT 2560x1440 . CM Storm QF TK MX Blue . SteelSeries Rival 
i5 2500k/ EVGA Z68SLi/ FX 8320/ Phenom II B55 x4/ MSI 790FX-GD70/ G.skill Ripjaws X 1600 8GB kit/ Geil Black Dragon 1600 4GB kit/ Sapphire Ref R9 290/ XFX DD GHOST 7770 

Yeah, but i was talking FXs here..looks like a deviated from the topic. I was trying to emphasize why those CPUs have such a bad reputation..because people do not know what they're for...as far as I know, aren't the FXs coming from server CPUs? 

Anyways you're right, Phenoms are cheaper...and for what it matters, better.

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

You got a phenom II? I'm still rocking a Phenom X3 8750B :D and it bottlenecks my GTX 650 :D but it still runs the games atleast, so I got that going for me

Yeah, but i was talking FXs here..looks like a deviated from the topic. I was trying to emphasize why those CPUs have such a bad reputation..because people do not know what they're for...as far as I know, aren't the FXs coming from server CPUs? 

Anyways you're right, Phenoms are cheaper...and for what it matters, better.

You mean that it's a server architecture? Server CPU's always use the same architecture as desktop CPU's, same demands like singlethreaded performance & and a lower power consumption will allow you to provide more cores bumping multithreaded performance like madness which AMD fails at. Mike Butler he was the Chief of the bulldozer team, when AMD released the FX8150 a few weeks later they fired him who works for Samsung now. Just listen to what they're saying "better efficiency and better budget efficiency and better core scaling". Especially that last one is totally bullshit, CMT wasn't close to CMP in terms of scaling and Phenom is plain CMP. 

Best part is that he said they've been working on it for 6 years. I'm wondering, why would you allow them to release that architecture if you can benchmark it before releasing it? Are they too dumb at AMD to realize that CPU monopoly isn't about stupidity but about IPC and lower power consumption?

I rip through All the Crysis titles, FarCry 3 & 4 ,Dragon Age Inquisition , in fact I haven't found anything this  little old CPU cant handle.I was thinking of a new build then I ask myself why, Could not come up with a solid reason to retire the ole faithful machine.

CPU

AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0 Ghz OC'ed to 3.4

Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo 

Motherboard

Asus M2N 32-SLI Deluxe

Graphics

MSI GTX 670 OC Power Edition 2 gig Video

RAM

OCZ Platinum 2gb x4

OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Platinum 8GB Edition Dual Channel

AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0 Ghz OC'ed to 3.4,  Asus M2N 32-SLI Wi-Fi Deluxe ,  MSI GTX 670 OC Power Edition 2 gig , Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler,

2GB x 4 OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Platinum 8GB Edition Dual Channel,  Rosewill Hive 650 Watt Semi modular, Win 7 Ultimate  64bit

Loving my 955 :D

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

I rip through All the Crysis titles, FarCry 3 & 4 ,Dragon Age Inquisition , in fact I haven't found anything this  little old CPU cant handle.I was thinking of a new build then I ask myself why, Could not come up with a solid reason to retire the ole faithful machine.

CPU
AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0 Ghz OC'ed to 3.4

Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo 

Motherboard
Asus M2N 32-SLI Deluxe

Graphics
MSI GTX 670 OC Power Edition 2 gig Video

RAM
OCZ Platinum 2gb x4
OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Platinum 8GB Edition Dual Channel

As the saying goes, 'if its not broken don't fix it'. Its why i'm sticking with my old rig as I am finding interesting evidence that CPUs aren't as big a graphics card bottlenecker as people think-I get 99% GPU usage when I use my gtx 650ti in my OC rig with the 970 being tested later today (if anything, integrating pci lanes into a cpu creates a bottle neck as you are more limited by the amount available, aka my P5K has full lanes for each slot, unlike its suposed replacement that has 1 true 16x slot, 2 x1 slots and a x16 slot that actually delivers x2 normally at pcie gen 2 speeds instead of gen 3 x16-to even get x4 speeds I need to disable both x1 slots-which cuts out my wifi card, and the i5 4440 only gives 16 lanes so only 9 actually get used normally). Never underestimate older hardware, until 6+ core becomes mainstream in cames most if not all older 4 cores should do just fine, especially with a decent overclock.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I'm super new to all this, so I'm still learning. Forgive me. 

I'm looking to build my first computer, mainly to use it for gaming but I don't have as large of a budget as I'd like. I've been thinking of going with the AMD FX 6300, but this seems to suggest that it's better to grab an old Phenom II X4 965 off of eBay. 

Does the collective wisdom of Linus Tech Tips agree?

(I can't afford Intel CPU, before anyone tells me to get an i5. Unless you know if some super deals to be had.)

Thanks!

I'm looking to build my first computer, mainly to use it for gaming but I don't have as large of a budget as I'd like. I've been thinking of going with the AMD FX 6300, but this seems to suggest that it's better to grab an old Phenom II X4 965 off of eBay. 

(I can't afford Intel CPU, before anyone tells me to get an i5. Unless you know if some super deals to be had.)

Thanks!

That cpu should do just fine for a few years yet, and it doesn't require expensive motherboards like the FX series because it uses less power.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Thanks!

What is your budget?  Your location?  and what is the purpose of your build?  Do you need an operating system? Monitor? Peripherals?  Do you have anything from an old build that you can reuse?

What about Phenom vs Athlon? I don't know much about AMD microarchitecture

Enthoo Primo - ASUS Maximus Formula VII - 4790k 4.8ghz 1.28v - EK Supremacy Evo Clean - 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical - 1000w EVGA Supernova Gold - 2x Alphacool Monsta Rads in push/pull - 2x Galaxy 780 HoF with EK waterblock

Build Log http://imgur.com/a/UV6Wh Just want to warn everyone, my build log is pretty mediocre.

Like the 860k?

The 860k is superior to any Phenom II X4. 

If you mean three years ago Athlon, I believe the Phenom II's were better (not sure though).

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Like the 860k?

If you mean three years ago Athlon, I believe the Phenom II's were better (not sure though).

Ok thanks, friend.

Enthoo Primo - ASUS Maximus Formula VII - 4790k 4.8ghz 1.28v - EK Supremacy Evo Clean - 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical - 1000w EVGA Supernova Gold - 2x Alphacool Monsta Rads in push/pull - 2x Galaxy 780 HoF with EK waterblock

Build Log http://imgur.com/a/UV6Wh Just want to warn everyone, my build log is pretty mediocre.

What is your budget?  Your location?  and what is the purpose of your build?  Do you need an operating system? Monitor? Peripherals?  Do you have anything from an old build that you can reuse?

Sorry, should have included this. 

I'm in Canda, and I'm trying to stick under $700 total for just the machine, not including a monitor, mouse, keyboard and Windows. Though the cheaper I can get something running, the faster I can get it.

My purpose is gaming; the heaviest game that I think I'd want to play is Dragon Age: Inquisition at 1080p. I have nothing to bring over from an old machine. I'm currently using a Macbook pro.

Like the 860k?

I'll look into Athlon chips too. Thanks!

x5670 Xeon +x58 + Good times

When overclocked, beating the modern Intel CPU in some epic use cases.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I know one @ that will love this thread.

CPU: AMD Athlon 5350 (2.66 Ghz OC) Motherboard: Asus AM1m-a Memory: Mushkin Radioactive 8GB DDR3-1600 GPU: MSI R7 260 1GD5 OC Storage: Toshiba Hybrid 500GB Case: Cougar Spike PSU: Rosewill Arc 450 OS: Deepin Linux 2014

depends.

Athlon has chips all the way from the OG athlon single core, to the 860K quad core.

Phenom is basically a higher end athlon in a couple of it's generations, specifically K9 & K10

CPU: AMD Athlon 5350 (2.66 Ghz OC) Motherboard: Asus AM1m-a Memory: Mushkin Radioactive 8GB DDR3-1600 GPU: MSI R7 260 1GD5 OC Storage: Toshiba Hybrid 500GB Case: Cougar Spike PSU: Rosewill Arc 450 OS: Deepin Linux 2014