Microsoft rethinking there DRM policy's, CONFIRMED

I swear I'm the only one out there who wants this online connectivity.
having to manage discs is annoying to me and i don't like optical media for anything.
I'll be downloading and be connected always anyway, so this double back will actually inconvenience people like me who intend to use the system as designed as if its the 21st century, and not the 1980's.

Literally zero reason to get an Xbox over the ps4, cause I liked the connected setup. the family game sharing and digital used game selling concepts.

People complaining about something that honestly wouldn't actually bother them are unintentional trolls.
If you can come online to complain you don't have an excuse to complain about needing internet. It's just not logical!

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

You are probably right... I stopped reading after that....

having to manage discs is annoying to me and i don't like optical media for anything.

I'll be downloading and be connected always anyway, so this double back will actually inconvenience people like me who intend to use the system as designed as if its the 21st century, and not the 1980's.

Literally zero reason to get an Xbox over the ps4, cause I liked the connected setup. the family game sharing and digital used game selling concepts.

People complaining about something that honestly wouldn't actually bother them are unintentional trolls.

If you can come online to complain you don't have an excuse to complain about needing internet. It's just not logical!

I'm with you. I actually preferred if we had used games phased out. I really liked the idea of the family sharing thing. I usually buy new games over used games. Only issue was 24 hours was a bit too soon, but I agree 100% with the original plan.

What? A little while ago they were trying to convince they were doing something good. Like trying to make Xbox more like Steam or something. That was a nice idea I guess but it's better that they'll be changing it all hopefully.

"And yet my mind is screaming, provoked in an icy sweat. It’s pleading and begging for a release, scraping the walls of a padded cell, pounding hopelessly at the floors that won’t even deliver the gift of pain."  - Why I Don't Dream Anymore

You are probably right... I stopped reading after that....

Thats why i put that first, so if anyone didn't like the xbox one and what they were going to do can skip the rest of my message :P

I'm with you. I actually preferred if we had used games phased out. I really liked the idea of the family sharing thing. I usually buy new games over used games. Only issue was 24 hours was a bit too soon, but I agree 100% with the original plan.

I haven't bought a used game in two years, haven't bought a physical copy in a year. In this age of technology digital is the way to go.

And to those to go "I've got shit internet"

So do I, I pay through the tooth for my ADSL speeds in outback australia 3000km from the closest server hosting for ANY provider. if I can wait half a day for a game to download to the playable state so can you.

last friday I bought last of Us in the morning and went to work, after dinner i sat down and it just hit 70% to be playable.

If you can't download a game in 24 hours, then i think a gaming console isn't your problem, its your plan/location. 

And seeing as my internet is listed as worse than 67% of Australia,  and I'm paying over 120 a month for that privilege in the bush, I'm sure you guys who are mostly in cities as thats highest population, who have access to other providers 90% of the time with better speeds and higher caps.

I see this as a consumer issue not an corporate issue .

tldr; Controversial views saying get better internet or if not available then maybe a modern console isn't for you.

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

Now all u have to worry about is the government spying on you in your own home via kinect.

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

Well I pre-ordered mine. Glad they did this, it was a necessity. Literally fixed every complaint I had with the system. 

Kind of expected. They just weren't going to get away with it.

They have said that you can turn it off, by unplugging the whole Xbox from the wall. That's how you power it off. If your Xbox is plugged in, then your Kinect will be listening to everything it can (even if your Xbox is powered off, the mic will still be turned on).

Anyway, now if they just lower the price, and increase the specs, then maybe it will be able to complete with the Playstation 4, maybe.

No, they said there was a setting that would allow the console & the Kinect to be turned completely off, instead of being in a 'standby' state, where the Kinect would still be listening for commands ("Xbox On").

Sony won't have to worry so much, they've got the better hardware with a better price point.

Hardware doesn't matter at all. Price, yes. Exclusives sell consoles, not how many Gflops, type of RAM or their how many jiggahertz they are.

I guess they did an... XBox One-eighty....

just shows how pathetic microsoft is, they KNEW they were failing so hard they had to backdown with their shit policies, even their PR couldn't cover it, all they had to say was "THE HOLY FUCKING CLOUD", and nothing beyond that, shows that the CONSUMER wins if they scream their asses enough in vlogs on the internet

So is it really confirmed officially? As in, Microsoft themselves has a statement somewhere? Xbox.com does not load for me, and the giantbomb page does not cite any source.

also, may I add your profile pic is super cute O-O

A win for gamers as it opens up another attractive console to game on without the BS attached to it.

As for Microsoft... What the hell were you guys thinking in the first place? Good move to listen to gamers but this shouldn't have happened in the first place

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

Has anyone else noticed a distinct lacking of a 5th page of this thread? 

The only reason they changed anything was they saw they were losing the preorder battle hard. 

They will reimplement this further down the road. And so will sony.

Thats why i put that first, so if anyone didn't like the xbox one and what they were going to do can skip the rest of my message :P

I haven't bought a used game in two years, haven't bought a physical copy in a year. In this age of technology digital is the way to go.

And to those to go "I've got shit internet"

So do I, I pay through the tooth for my ADSL speeds in outback australia 3000km from the closest server hosting for ANY provider. if I can wait half a day for a game to download to the playable state so can you.

last friday I bought last of Us in the morning and went to work, after dinner i sat down and it just hit 70% to be playable.

If you can't download a game in 24 hours, then i think a gaming console isn't your problem, its your plan/location. 

And seeing as my internet is listed as worse than 67% of Australia,  and I'm paying over 120 a month for that privilege in the bush, I'm sure you guys who are mostly in cities as thats highest population, who have access to other providers 90% of the time with better speeds and higher caps.

I see this as a consumer issue not an corporate issue .

tldr; Controversial views saying get better internet or if not available then maybe a modern console isn't for you.

The all-digital concept works for Steam (and for all PC game distributors, really) because games on Steam are priced according to what they're worth (and frequently dramatically less than that).  Used games aren't necessary on Steam.  I like all-digital, too, but it only works if pricing is handled correctly.  Do you think Microsoft and Sony are going to follow the same practices as Valve?  I'm willing to bet that Xbox One launch games will be priced at full MSRP on the Microsoft marketplace 4 years from now unless the console makers miraculously wake up and smell the roses, and that's why the used game market still has great value for console gamers.

And blaming the consumer is frankly ridiculous.  Come on.  You're saying someone with a slow/spotty connection should be forced to wait hours/days (games are only getting bigger and bigger, the average One/PS4 game could be 10, 15, 20 GB) to download a game rather than driving to the local Gamestop and grabbing a disc, simply because it's the "modern" way to do it?  And those unwilling to wait that long for every game download don't deserve to play the latest games?    I suppose we should all go out and buy fully electric cars that drive for one hour on a charge because they're more "modern?"  Why destroy options for those who just want to pick up a controller, throw in a disc, and have fun with a game without all the overhead?  Games are supposed to be just that, fun.  You shouldn't have to move to a different city and inflate your monthly bill from your ISP just to play a new game, and I think it's absurd to imply such a thing.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

just a question here. How may PC gamers here "trade in" their games?

idk i just feel the internet got all their feathers ruffled over minor things.  most of us use itunes(DRM), steam(DRM), cell phones(always connected), laptops with camera.

just a question here. How may PC gamers here "trade in" their games?

idk i just feel the internet got all their feathers ruffled over minor things.  most of us use itunes(DRM), steam(DRM), cell phones(always connected), laptops with camera.

We don't need to because we get them for 4 bucks on Steam (of course I'm generalizing, but you get the idea).  Back in the PS2 days I traded in games fairly often.

Screw iTunes, Steam does DRM right, and Internet is required for most of the primary functions of a smartphone.  The primary function of a console is playing video games, which doesn't fundamentally require an internet connection.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

The all-digital concept works for Steam (and for all PC game distributors, really) because games on Steam are priced according to what they're worth (and frequently dramatically less than that).  Used games aren't necessary on Steam.  I like all-digital, too, but it only works if pricing is handled correctly.  Do you think Microsoft and Sony are going to follow the same practices as Valve?  I'm willing to bet that Xbox One launch games will be priced at full MSRP on the Microsoft marketplace 4 years from now unless the console makers miraculously wake up and smell the roses, and that's why the used game market still has great value for console gamers.

And blaming the consumer is frankly ridiculous.  Come on.  You're saying someone with a slow/spotty connection should be forced to wait hours/days (games are only getting bigger and bigger, the average One/PS4 game could be 10, 15, 20 GB) to download a game rather than driving to the local Gamestop and grabbing a disc, simply because it's the "modern" way to do it?  And those unwilling to wait that long for every game download don't deserve to play the latest games?    I suppose we should all go out and buy fully electric cars that drive for one hour on a charge because they're more "modern?"  Why destroy options for those who just want to pick up a controller, throw in a disc, and have fun with a game without all the overhead?  Games are supposed to be just that, fun.  You shouldn't have to move to a different city and inflate your monthly bill from your ISP just to play a new game, and I think it's absurd to imply such a thing.

As stated, I'm one of those guys with a slow/spotty internet. but you don't need a lot of internet to check your keys once a day, and with multiple ways to connect there is no excuse for not having internet. if both Mobile and landline is down you have more important things to worry about then gaming. 

The Xbox One system didn't stop you from going down and buying the disc and sticking it in, you still had and still have that option, but because of the backwards anti progressive attitude of gamers, the discs once again will be the focus, instead of digital.

Electrical car comparison is inaccurate, cause in no situation is it superior to combustion engines. where as digital is better then optical. 

all those options are still there, the old way was still available, that's what everyone forgets, it just wasn't the focus, now it is, and from this Microsoft has lost something unique. Their only selling point, which is optimised for online (not TV like they're marketing) is now moot. 

would still rather a Xbox One over the PS4 because i don't want a console that is focused around facebook, and seeing as i don't have a TV it all gets plugged into my monitors and soundcard through optical, having that TV bypass stuff is handy :P

Won't be getting either of them till they're $400 AU brand new but. just picked up my ps3 and am getting to enjoy a massive backlog of games to play.

tldr; my opinion is based around the convenience of digital distribution and an always connected society.

Edit: Probably sound like a fan-boy, but the things I like about the Xbox One seems to be the reason its hated.  where as the Ps4 is more powerful, but it just feels like a PS3 with more power. nothing really new in it except power. which in the end isn't what makes the console better, its the games and experience. might do a sum up of last gen consoles on what i liked and disliked. sounds like an interesting thread to make. 

still not good enough they shouldn't have done it at all, how long before it happens again either Sony or Microsoft?  

Well now now there is nothing for people to complain about except maybe the price but it comes with kinect so it only makes sense. I've had mine pre ordered since last week so I was going to buy it either way.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

I was really excited at first, but that has started to wear off.

What will prevent Microsoft from adding these features in as incremental updates? First they will add something like a 7 day check in which will turn into 3 days then 2 then 1. Then they will add the 'optional publisher discretion' copy policy and nobody will even notice... until a publisher uses it.

All I know is they need to now spend a LOT of money trying to make us think it is better than the PS4. Just getting it to the point where it is not worse isn't good enough, it needs to be BETTER.

This is coming from a person who is probably in a very small minority of people who would call themselves a Microsoft fanboy.

Some of the games on the Xbone (like Titanfall and Forza 5) are going to rely on "The Power of the Cloud!!!!" to process bits of the code a la Sim City.  There's the DRM right there (pseudo-DRM???), left at the discretion of the devs.

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

As stated, I'm one of those guys with a slow/spotty internet. but you don't need a lot of internet to check your keys once a day, and with multiple ways to connect there is no excuse for not having internet. if both Mobile and landline is down you have more important things to worry about then gaming. 

The Xbox One system didn't stop you from going down and buying the disc and sticking it in, you still had and still have that option, but because of the backwards anti progressive attitude of gamers, the discs once again will be the focus, instead of digital.

Electrical car comparison is inaccurate, cause in no situation is it superior to combustion engines. where as digital is better then optical. 

all those options are still there, the old way was still available, that's what everyone forgets, it just wasn't the focus, now it is, and from this Microsoft has lost something unique. Their only selling point, which is optimised for online (not TV like they're marketing) is now moot. 

would still rather a Xbox One over the PS4 because i don't want a console that is focused around facebook, and seeing as i don't have a TV it all gets plugged into my monitors and soundcard through optical, having that TV bypass stuff is handy :P

Won't be getting either of them till they're $400 AU brand new but. just picked up my ps3 and am getting to enjoy a massive backlog of games to play.

tldr; my opinion is based around the convenience of digital distribution and an always connected society.

Edit: Probably sound like a fan-boy, but the things I like about the Xbox One seems to be the reason its hated.  where as the Ps4 is more powerful, but it just feels like a PS3 with more power. nothing really new in it except power. which in the end isn't what makes the console better, its the games and experience. might do a sum up of last gen consoles on what i liked and disliked. sounds like an interesting thread to make. 

*backpedals*

Okay, forget my disc argument, that was misinformed.  Doh.

The main problem with the discs was the whole "discs imply ownership but actually not really" issue, but that's beside the point.

But anyway, how is the electric car comparison inaccurate?  They are more environmentally friendly, can offer potential cost savings when the technology matures and infrastructure develops, and there's the benefit of charging up right at home.  It's kind of the same with digital, there are definitely advantages, but for plenty of people, the infrastructure just isn't quite there.  Not everyone has multiple ways to access the Internet.  You may say a modern console isn't right for those people, which is essentially what Microsoft said, but would those people agree?  No, they'd just get a PS4 and Microsoft would lose those sales.

I guess I'm kind of thinking from Microsoft's point of view in some ways.  They had to makes these changes in order to not lose out on millions of potential customers.

And I still stand by the whole pricing thing.  Even with the disc deactivation that would have been put in place, retailers would have just passed those extra costs onto the consumer.

Anyway, we all know that the DRM will be back in a few years, so I guess there's no sense in really getting worked up about it.