Microsoft rethinking there DRM policy's, CONFIRMED

guess linus was right when he talked about how to fix all the problems of the xbox one... except this is a LOT sooner than expected even though it was quite clear for microsoft that few people were actually planning on buying a xbox over a ps4...

I think you can set it turn off, but you can't disconnect it while the Xbox is on, since you need it to function.

Well, Microsoft said that the console is always on, and always listening for commands, during the announcement. It's so that you can say "Xbox turn on" anytime you want, and it will start almost instantly. For that to work however, at least the mic (maybe even more) on the Kinect needs to be turned on, at all time. Oh and yes you do need it in for the Xbox to work at all.

You can turn the Kinect off by unplugging the power cord, but then you also need to plug it back in every time you want to start the Xbox.

Unless they backpedaled on that as well, you can't turn the Kinect off (without completely unplugging it).

Well good for Microsoft. I guess their wallets weren't appealed by the direction pre-order's were going. At least they have become a bit more competitive with the PS4 (though the extra $100, always Kinected and no indie support still plague it). Competition is good, sadly the Fanboy Fuel isn't, but that is the way it is. At least when a fanboy argues for an XBOX, they won't seem as silly for compromising the ability to play games for a "better" feeling controller (which versions of are made by third party companies for the PlayStation as well). Still, its a good sign when a company doesn't go deaf and I'm quite happy with the console war situation now. I feel like it will finally start to even out (from heavy XBOX to heavy PS4 to hopefully a happy medium), which is for the best. I have to admit I'm surprised, if not impressed with Microsoft as I feel many are, but I would still like advise to not get to caught in the hype and to not ignore the overall picture. Look at your options and mark what's important to you (not a comfy controller, most bs argument ever). IMO, PS4 is still ahead for me (though I won't be indulging, PC has wrapped me in its comforting grasp and I won't ever leave it), but at least its not that lopsided anymore.

Well, Microsoft said that the console is always on, and always listening for commands, during the announcement. It's so that you can say "Xbox turn on" anytime you want, and it will start almost instantly. For that to work however, at least the mic (maybe even more) on the Kinect needs to be turned on, at all time. Oh and yes you do need it in for the Xbox to work at all.

You can turn the Kinect off by unplugging the power cord, but then you also need to plug it back in every time you want to start the Xbox.

Unless they backpedaled on that as well, you can't turn the Kinect off (without completely unplugging it).

Pretty sure said there's a setting for the Kinect's mic array staying on for the "Xbox on" thing, but not during the announcement.

Yeeeeahh, great news and all...

But the PS4 is still the better choice with lower price, better hardware, less bullshit,

AND the xbone still has the forced kinect shit...

It's just Linus said - don't give them your money they'll listen. And by looking at polls and pre-orders microsoft realized they have to change. Hmm... maybe a no kinect option too?!?

It doesn't matter how much they change the XBOX One now, they still wont get a cent out of me, I'm still buying a PS4. I don't like the company's attitude anymore.

It's just Linus said - don't give them your money they'll listen. And by looking at polls and pre-orders microsoft realized they have to change. Hmm... maybe a no kinect option too?!?

Doubt it, the Kinect seems to be done by the hardware.

All of this was done on a software level which can EASILY be changed, the kinect stuff would require them to do actual work.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

saw this coming since e3

same but I was expecting them to be a bit slow with it. it took them about a year to realize that windows 8 was a disaster, so I wasn't expecting them to drop it this soon.....

I do feel that the damage has been done though so I don't know how people will start to react to this.

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

Looks like i will be now getting the Xbone. This is great news now all they have to do is fire the crack head who thought up all of that BS in the first place so it never happens again.

Could this have been a PR stunt gone bad?

Claim travesties against your own product and purposely get people angry, mad, and upset.

Then swoop in at the stroke of midnight to save everyone by eliminating and restoring their old terms.

It allows them to look like they listen and care about the community.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

The sad thing is, it shouldn't even take the reaction they received for them to realize it was a horrible idea.

Because now it looks like they listened to gamers and gave them exactly what they wanted. It gives the appearance of them being "the good guy". It also one ups Sony so now all the pressure is on Sony to take back the hype lead.

"Energy drinks don't make my mouth taste like yak buttholes like coffee does, so I'll stick with them." - Yoinkerman

Because now it looks like they listened to gamers and gave them exactly what they wanted. It gives the appearance of them being "the good guy". It also one ups Sony so now all the pressure is on Sony to take back the hype lead.

Sony won't have to worry so much, they've got the better hardware with a better price point.

i think this is great news! still think sony is the way to go!

Cpu: Intel i5 4690k @3.5 Ghz*cooled by Corsair Hydro H105* | Case: NZXT H440 Black/Green | Motherbord: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK Black Edition Ram: Avexir Venom 16GB
Video Card: Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX980 4GB | Power Supply: Corsair TX850 | SSD: Samsung 500GB 850 Pro SSD: Samsung 500GB 840 Pro 
Monitor: ASUS 27" ROG Swift G-Sync 144mhz | Keyboard: Logitech G710+  | Mouse: Logitech G700s| Headset: Logitech G35 | Speakers: Logitech X530 5.1
NAS Set-up: Netgear ReadyNAS 104 "populated by 4 x 2TB Western Digital Red in RAID 6"

If theres such crazy strict DRM and the kinect being a spy ill never own one. So thats up to them if they want my money.

Good news seeing as the only game I want out of either system is killer instinct.

Main rig: i7 3770K @ 4.54, Sapphire R9 290, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Mushkin Redline 2133, Lian Li PC-P50R, Seasonic 860xp Platinum, Kingston Hyper X 3K 240GB

freeNAS server: AMD Athlon II 170u 20W, 5 x 3TB WD Red in raid-z1 (12 TB)

media centre: AMD A10-5700, crucial M4 (boot), running XBMC,4 x 3TB WD Red, 3 x 3TB WD green + 2TB green in FlexRAID (17 TB)

I really hope it's true, but my guess is that it's just some website fishing for hits.

That doesn't really make any sense. If they are backing away from their original plan, then they have learned their lesson and is doing what the consumers wants. I don't understand why you don't want them to fix what is wrong with it.

I want them to be punished from the consumers for trying to push this onto us. Firstly trying to tell us what we want and secondly for still asking for more money upfront for the console. I just would prefer them to listen. Instead of trying to be APPLE and trying to set standards.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

kinda to late imo

btw

PC FTW!!! xD

lives on

BAKABT

Had a hunch they'd backpedal, and I'm glad they did. Now console gamers can bicker over the minor details of which console is better. :lol:

Still can't play old games I see :3

Neither can the PS4, Gaikai will be limited to start off (US only with a few games), and streaming games may not be viable just yet. Once it reaches everyone globally, and Internet connections improve, it'll take off.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2