Buddy just downgraded for $1500.

Vendetta

Okay so I guess there isn't much point in this but to talk shit about a friend because I can't believe what he has just done. A few years back two of my buddies asked me to build them a system that will last a really long time. They both ended up with extremely similar setups just different manufacturers.

So the one in question today has a i7 3770k, MSi z77 lightning motherboard, 16gb Patriot ram, 2x MSi gtx 680 lightnings in SLI, with like a 120gb ssd and a couple terabyte+ drives. Well today he just told me he picked up a 4790k, MSi z97 gaming 5, MSi 970 gaming and an H100i even though he doesn't even know how to get to the damn BIOS of a motherboard to even start overclocking. He did this without consulting me and I just can't believe what in the world he was thinking lol

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/

It's his money...

Also, he definitely didn't downgrade.

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

He didn't downgrade.

Let him be happy about it.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

Yeah... Well, I went from an i3 550 and a GT330 to an A10-7850K, just for the sake of having a custom-built PC.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Okay so I guess there isn't much point in this but to talk shit about a friend because I can't believe what he has just done. A few years back two of my buddies asked me to build them a system that will last a really long time. They both ended up with extremely similar setups just different manufacturers.

So the one in question today has a i7 3770k, MSi z77 lightning motherboard, 16gb Patriot ram, 2x MSi gtx 680 lightnings in SLI, with like a 120gb ssd and a couple terabyte+ drives. Well today he just told me he picked up a 4790k, MSi z97 gaming 5, MSi 970 gaming and an H100i even though he doesn't even know how to get to the damn BIOS of a motherboard to even start overclocking. He did this without consulting me and I just can't believe what in the world he was thinking lol

Just take his x2 680 , tell him it's crap now and use it for yourself ;)

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

well thats some expensive upgrade

Hey, there loss and youre gain. I wouldnt mind having a secondary pc. Just say ill have it and voila

Steve

He didn't downgrade.

Dual GTX 680's are definitely faster than a single 970. At least in games with decent SLI support.

Come on people, 2x GTX680 to 1x 970 most definatly is a downgrade and quite a significant one too. The CPU is more of a sidegrade, only the cooler is nicish if you like AIO's I guess.

~non cogito, ergo non sum?~

Wow. That's just... Wow.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

SLI 980's would have been better for the money thrown at it, but at the same time they built it themselves (or attempting to) instead of depending on a friend slamming them on a forum to strangers. If I were your friend and read this randomly knowing the OP was a friend of mine, I'd dock some trust points off. Let your friend try and learn things, not depend on someone belittling them on the internet in the form of public humiliation.

SLI 980's would have been better for the money thrown at it, but at the same time they built it themselves (or attempting to) instead of depending on a friend slamming them on a forum to strangers. If I were your friend and read this randomly knowing the OP was a friend of mine, I'd dock some trust points off. Let your friend try and learn things, not depend on someone belittling them on the internet in the form of public humiliation.

See your shit talking has some flaws, this person immediately turned around and asked me for help after the purchase. Not only that but public humiliation? REALLY? because he is so humiliated because he has two systems faster than anyone that has even posted in this thread? Come one, quit being such a white knight. I'm just sharing a story because I feel it is a bit ridiculous to spend that much money to get a slower system.

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/

So there wasent much of a downgrade. Honestly he could have done with the 3770k for another 1-2 years and that 680 in sli would have lasted just as long. The fact that he wanted a 970 gives him more options for higher res displays 

[CPU] i7 4790K OC [CPU Cooler] H100i [GPU] Evga GTX 980 SuperClocked [Ram] Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1866 mhz [PSU] Cooler Master 1000w Silent Pro [storage] 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 1 TB WD Blue 4 TB Seagate Nas. [Motherboard] Msi Z97 Gaming 5 [Case] Phantom 410 Red [sound] Onboard ALC 1150 [Headphones] Sennheiser HD 558 [Keyboard] Razer BlackWidow Chroma  [Mouse] Razer Deathadder Chroma [Mouse] Razer FireFly [Monitor] Asus MG278Q

So there wasent much of a downgrade. Honestly he could have done with the 3770k for another 1-2 years and that 680 in sli would have lasted just as long. The fact that he wanted a 970 gives him more options for higher res displays 

No he doesn't even know what a 1440p monitor even is, he is a casual gamer.

It's his money...

He didn't downgrade.

Let him be happy about it.

Did you just skip the first part of my post or? I specifically brought up the fact that I helped him pick out his first system BECAUSE HE WANTED IT TO LAST A LONG TIME. He didn't want to have to spend money on upgrading anytime soon. And yes he definitely DID downgrade. No one said I wasn't happy for him, I told him I hope he enjoys it and I'm helping him with some issues he is having. Just figured I'd post the story because I feel it is ridiuclous.

No he doesn't even know what a 1440p monitor even is, he is a casual gamer.

Oh, well then this guy wasted money. I mean if he gets another 970 he can run a 4k display. Whats he going to do with the second motherboard cpu and gpu? Is he going to make another system? He prob should get a case, ram, HDD, and PSU. Total of another 200-300$. He will have a second amazing system for a friend maybe?

[CPU] i7 4790K OC [CPU Cooler] H100i [GPU] Evga GTX 980 SuperClocked [Ram] Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1866 mhz [PSU] Cooler Master 1000w Silent Pro [storage] 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 1 TB WD Blue 4 TB Seagate Nas. [Motherboard] Msi Z97 Gaming 5 [Case] Phantom 410 Red [sound] Onboard ALC 1150 [Headphones] Sennheiser HD 558 [Keyboard] Razer BlackWidow Chroma  [Mouse] Razer Deathadder Chroma [Mouse] Razer FireFly [Monitor] Asus MG278Q

Did you just skip the first part of my post or? I specifically brought up the fact that I helped him pick out his first system BECAUSE HE WANTED IT TO LAST A LONG TIME. He didn't want to have to spend money on upgrading anytime soon. And yes he definitely DID downgrade. No one said I wasn't happy for him, I told him I hope he enjoys it and I'm helping him with some issues he is having. Just figured I'd post the story because I feel it is ridiuclous.

Yeah I aproove, he did downgrade. 2x 680 is way better than a single 970.

Maybe ask him to shell out another $1000 for a 4k display? 

Oh, well then this guy wasted money. I mean if he gets another 970 he can run a 4k display. Whats he going to do with the second motherboard cpu and gpu? Is he going to make another system? He prob should get a case, ram, HDD, and PSU. Total of another 200-300$. He will have a second amazing system for a friend maybe?

He is trying to use it as a streaming system and use his new one as his gaming system. The problem is that he has like 10 followers on twitch and doesn't even have internet that he can stream from sorted out.

Yeah I aproove, he did downgrade. 2x 680 is way better than a single 970.

I am guessing SLI is better than crossfire. Because I get absolute crap FPS using 2 7970 ghz. Its a 3gb card too and the VRAM still maxes out in BF4

He is trying to use it as a streaming system and use his new one as his gaming system. The problem is that he has like 10 followers on twitch and doesn't even have internet that he can stream from sorted out.

Does he do any video editing and rendering?