10 Tech Products That We Lost in 2014 :'(

I think there's a lot of confirmation bias among audiophiles here. The difference is so minute.

Is it Apple ripping people off? The 16GB iPhone 6 is £10 cheaper than the HTC One M8, and Samsung's site is the most impenetrable of the three.

I was trying to find as close comparisons of what different manufacturers' prices as I could, but it doesn't seem like many companies besides Apple even offer more than 32GB as an option.

I know, but then again it exist for a small audience.. that is really not us

on O2 M8 is £100 cheaper than Iphone 6 (this is where I would go to buy phone, but I am aware hat elsewhere it can be cheaper)

Yeah, nowadays manufacturers tend to go for the SD car slot, and job done... although iPhones charging for larger is a different thing, I take it as ripping off

Apple does have some decent products at decent price, for example its laptops and high high end computers, as the 5K Mac and the Mac Pro. They are pricier than PC-s apart from these product, but they have marvelous build quality

what about the reason that each chip is larger than a CPU+GPU on a mobile?

SSDs still have a way to go get smaller, and at mobile use, the storage chips are fine, you are not bottlenecked by read write speed

Have you ever been inside of a mobile device? Apparently not, since they aren't.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Windows XP..... Oh please, I still have 3 computers in my house that run windows 98, they are slow as all hell but whatever. MSN messenger was king for SOOOO long but it is officially dead. I would probably add MySpace to last years list too

still running XP in my vm machine, running on 10GB disc and 720mb RAM , i mainly use it to play some old games and also carry them around , it is VM after all , i wish you can run VM on phones that will open so much doors ,.

what was the deal with flappy bird? why did it get deleted from the app store?

Dev got bored on hatemail and people whining about game being too hard.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

msn messenger... I thought that abhorrent abomination was abolished years ago.

the rest of the list flew under my radar except for XP, because a friend of my family was bugging me over and over this year about what would happen when MS stopped supporting XP... he was under the impression that his computer would implode or something  :lol:  :unsure:

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I know, but then again it exist for a small audience.. that is really not us

on O2 M8 is £100 cheaper than Iphone 6 (this is where I would go to buy phone, but I am aware hat elsewhere it can be cheaper)

Yeah, nowadays manufacturers tend to go for the SD car slot, and job done... although iPhones charging for larger is a different thing, I take it as ripping off

Apple does have some decent products at decent price, for example its laptops and high high end computers, as the 5K Mac and the Mac Pro. They are pricier than PC-s apart from these product, but they have marvelous build quality

I was just looking at the cost from the manufacturer themselves. If a service provider wants to subsidise the cost to entice them onto their tariff, even if is is pay as you go, I don't consider that anything to do with the phone manufacturer.

Maybe. I find it hard to consider it a rip off when no one else is even offering it as a feature, though. I think an SD card is a nice thing to have, but I hate having to rely on it completely.

I only used XP and MSN Messenger. I still use XP as it is still on an old laptop that I occasionally use for certain programs.

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

Such as? What benefit does the average person gain from FLAC over 320kbps mp3?

1) Can be transcoded without any loss in quality.

2) Can be edited without any loss in quality.

3) It's free as in freedom and free beer.

4) Less risk of the version you are downloading being encoded by someone who don't know what he/she is doing. If you download an MP3 file it might have been transcoded from some other lossy format, such as being ripped from a youtube video. The risk of that happening with FLAC is far smaller.

5) Compared to 320Kbps MP3, some people can tell the difference. I have not seen anyone do a blind test and get ~90% correct with ~320Kbps AAC vs FLAC, but I have seen it happen with 320Kbps MP3 vs FLAC. It's not that weird though, MP3 is a pretty terrible audio codec compared to other more modern formats.

It's not the iPod Classic itself that I want to exist, it's the fact that there isn't really an equivalent that doesn't rely on an SD card or internet access any more.

I don't mind SD cards. I put a 32GB card into my phone when I got it and have basically forgotten that it's actually an SD card. It just shows up as extra storage on my phone where I can put music and stuff.

For things like music and stuff I'd say an SD card is as good, if not better, than just having permanently more storage. With the SD card you can upgrade to more later, you can have multiple ones with you, you can trade with your friends and so on.

Speak for yourself,  I didn't lose them, it wasn't my fault.

One thing that has always pissed me off is the constant change in messenger services,  ICQ was awesome, then everyone moved to yahoo, then everyone went to MSN, now everyone is on skype.  thank fuck I haven't had to change that. 

A lot of my friends and family are using some Facebook message service now... I won't change though.

But then again, Apple is famous from ripping of people. Although M7 was 32 GB if I remember correct, M8 is 16GB plus SD card slot, but still it hurts me a little

Every phone manufacturer except OnePlus are ripping you off when you get the higher capacity.

I don't have numbers for the iPhone 6, but the NAND in the iPhone 5S was (in US dollars):

16GB - 9.40

32GB - 18.80

64GB - 29

So going from 16GB to 64GB only adds ~20 dollars to the BOM. Even if they charged 50 dollars for it they would still have over 100% profit margin, ON TOP of the already existing profit margin which is something like 60% for the overall phone (on the 16GB model).

I think moving to 32GB minimum is long overdue. 32GB should be minimum and 64GB should be a ~50 dollar upgrade. If they want to go crazy then 128GB could be a 150 dollar upgrade from 32GB. They would still have higher profit margins than I think they should even with those "low" prices.

A lot of my friends and family are using some Facebook message service now... I won't change though.

Absolutely, I have a phone and people can call or txt me before I let facebook know who I am.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

You can still poke people just the same on facebook

Justin.tv is just twitch now

I own an ipod classic so yeah

When a huge portion of the market stops using XP then it'll be lost

Flappy bird is farrr from dead in that thousands of phones have it installed and there are hundreds of clones

Are you the type of person who goes on forums JUST to contradict people?

Thank you.

Wardojack.

I stopped using MSN messanger like 3-4 years ago but i remember the good old times when I was like even younger:D MSN messanger was the one who got me into the mailing system:D

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

Well yeah, when you can buy an 64Gb SD card for like £50, you should expect all phones, especially flagship phones to have minimum 64 GB capacity, as if i want to be honest, my M8 has 16 GB of on board storage is not enough and from a £500/600 would I would expect 64 GB minimum

The thing is that SD cards and micro SD cards are slow and most likely isn't as reliable as the nand used in phones and SSDs.

The thing is that SD cards and micro SD cards are slow and most likely isn't as reliable as the nand used in phones and SSDs.

The reason for this comparison is that you can buy storage for reasonable price, yet phones tend to stuck at 16GB or sometimes 32 GB, and if a phone has a SD car slot we are happy..

I don't mind SD cards. I put a 32GB card into my phone when I got it and have basically forgotten that it's actually an SD card. It just shows up as extra storage on my phone where I can put music and stuff.

For things like music and stuff I'd say an SD card is as good, if not better, than just having permanently more storage. With the SD card you can upgrade to more later, you can have multiple ones with you, you can trade with your friends and so on.

And that's a good reason to never allow anyone the choice because...?

SD cards are small, they're easier to lose than a phone. It's also more expensive and awkward to buy SD cards when really the storage should have come with the phone, for the price, in the first place. Any medium that has to be removed and has contacts visible will stop working sooner or later with use. A lot of phones, for very valid reason, have issue with installing apps to removable storage. Increasing the amount available internally would allow you the freedom to use the space for whatever the hell you like. SD and Micro SD storage is slow, and that's important for some uses, though music isn't particularly one of them. And then there's just the pure principle. It isn't that difficult or expensive to increase the storage in phones dramatically, so why not just do it? Look how many people in this thread have said that they are sad to see the iPod classic go. There are plenty of phones (that cost several times the cost of an iPod Classic, mind) that allow SD storage but lots of people clearly want a different solution.

And finally when the hell have SD and internal storage mutually exclusive!? No one's going to be taking your precious SD cards away from you...

Even though MSN was gone for most people a few years ago, there were features that existed in MSN 8+ years ago that don't exist on Skype or really any other popular messaging platform now :(

And that's a good reason to never allow anyone the choice because...?

SD cards are small, they're easier to lose than a phone. It's also more expensive and awkward to buy SD cards when really the storage should have come with the phone, for the price, in the first place. Any medium that has to be removed and has contacts visible will stop working sooner or later with use. A lot of phones, for very valid reason, have issue with installing apps to removable storage. Increasing the amount available internally would allow you the freedom to use the space for whatever the hell you like. SD and Micro SD storage is slow, and that's important for some uses, though music isn't particularly one of them. And then there's just the pure principle. It isn't that difficult or expensive to increase the storage in phones dramatically, so why not just do it? Look how many people in this thread have said that they are sad to see the iPod classic go. There are plenty of phones (that cost several times the cost of an iPod Classic, mind) that allow SD storage but lots of people clearly want a different solution.

And finally when the hell have SD and internal storage mutually exclusive!? No one's going to be taking your precious SD cards away from you...

Take it easy. I never said they were mutually exclusive. All I said was that I don't mind relying on SD cards for a music player. For my phone I want more internal storage (like I said in my post, I think 32GB should have been minimum for a long time now) but for something like an iPod I would be okay with let's say 8GB of internal and then microSD. That's how the SanClip+ does it and it works just fine.

SD cards are just as hard to lose as your phone if you keep them in your phone.

SD cards are far cheaper per GB than buying a phone with a higher capacity.

Just because the contacts are visible doesn't mean it will break easily. Have you ever had a pair of headphones break because the connector got damaged? Besides, it will be plugged in most if not all the time so the contacts are only rarely exposed.

Yes SD cards are far slower than a lot of the eMMC used in phones and such, but for music and video that doesn't matter that much. It matters the first time you put files on it and after that it doesn't matter that much. Again, I am just talking about using it for things like music here. For installing apps it's really bad, but I am talking about replacements for the 180GB iPod.

orkut. boo hoo.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

1. Windows XP

yeah... that's still alive and well

If you get easily offended by people on the Internet there is something really wrong with you. You focus on the opinions of a few people instead of worrying about why you have a terrible taste in video games.

I love the iPods with the wheel, like the classic and the nanos. You can navigate songs and adjust stuff like the volume without even looking at the device, something trickier to do with touchscreens. 

Plus I liked XP :3

Long time Linus fan with too many different forums to keep track of LTT's.