A Guide to Buying the Right Mouse

Oh yeah you bought one didn't ya!

How would you know that? I have not told anyone!

How would you know that? I have not told anyone!

You bought a regular Naga before right? I seemed to mention you saying you were gonna buy a hex at some point.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

You bought a regular Naga before right? I seemed to mention you saying you were gonna buy a hex at some point.

Maybe?

Perhaps on the JayzTwoCents forum..?

Naga Epic Chroma or Naga 2014 I have both of those as well.

• 3 months later...

but, but,

trackballs. ;3;

also i seem to hold my mice like no one else.

i hold it sideways. ._. X axis flipped through software.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

but, but,

trackballs. ;3;

also i seem to hold my mice like no one else.

i hold it sideways. ._. X axis flipped through software.

Now I'll agree with trackballs. Idk about that later part though..

Having used both the Scimitar and Naga 2014 (the naga chroma which I also own is literally a naga 2014 with rgb. it is different than the epic/ epic chroma)... (and other shitty mmo mice) I'd personally call the Naga 2014 without question king of the class with one caveat.

Under no exception whatsoever are you to lift the mouse off of the touchpad.

The Z-axis issues of PTE sensors are quite well known, and with all but the most twitchy FPS games, it is very easy and comfortable to learn just not to lift the mouse off the pad.

Do that and the mouse is untouchable in both game-play and productivity (I actually keep buying mmo mice for productivity since synapse is actually totally a god at program specific profile binding.)

I sadly am no longer a competitive mmo player since SWTOR went full retard a while back, and I wanted my life to be well... more.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Care to explain why you would take the Naga 2014 over the Scimitar?

I will agree with you on Synapse I really don't know why it gets so much hate. I can only think it's because you have to use it.

Care to explain why you would take the Naga 2014 over the Scimitar?

I will agree with you on Synapse I really don't know why it gets so much hate. I can only think it's because you have to use it.

Synapse is far superior in every way to the Corsair option.

I use a shitload of program specific profiles, and razer's swapping mechanism is both instantaneous and flawless. Corsair's is neither... yet.

Plus I like the Naga more than the Scimitar, in feel and in looks. I use the Naga 2014 at work (and have a Naga Chroma at home), so the ability to make it a sleek black simple mouse is a huge plus when I don't want to have a gamer-y mouse (I had been bringing it back and forth for about 24 months now before getting the Chroma last month).

The PTE sensor is a definite draw-back if you don't learn to not pick up your hand. Or if you have pets... Luckily neither is an issue for me.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Synapse is far superior in every way to the Corsair option.

I use a shitload of program specific profiles, and razer's swapping mechanism is both instantaneous and flawless. Corsair's is neither... yet.

Plus I like the Naga more than the Scimitar, in feel and in looks. I use the Naga 2014 at work (and have a Naga Chroma at home), so the ability to make it a sleek black simple mouse is a huge plus when I don't want to have a gamer-y mouse (I had been bringing it back and forth for about 24 months now before getting the Chroma last month).

The PTE sensor is a definite draw-back if you don't learn to not pick up your hand. Or if you have pets... Luckily neither is an issue for me.

As a mouse I think the Corsair Scimitar is a better mouse but the Synapse software is far superior. Do you have the Naga Epic Chroma or just the slightly newer Naga Chroma.

As a mouse I think the Corsair Scimitar is a better mouse but the Synapse software is far superior. Do you have the Naga Epic Chroma or just the slightly newer Naga Chroma.

Chroma (non-epic) it's literally identical to my Naga 2014 with the newer sensor but the sensor still has all the same faults and graces.

Idk if it was superior. I liked the sensor better, and it had a different feel to it, but I didn't feel it was worth the swap (esp since synapse is SO MUCH MORE MATURE).

Like people rag on synapse 24/7 but trying to use corsair (or basically anyone else's) software suites is really harsh.

I definitely couldnt justify swapping until the software catches up.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Chroma (non-epic) it's literally identical to my Naga 2014 with the newer sensor but the sensor still has all the same faults and graces.

Idk if it was superior. I liked the sensor better, and it had a different feel to it, but I didn't feel it was worth the swap (esp since synapse is SO MUCH MORE MATURE).

Like people rag on synapse 24/7 but trying to use corsair (or basically anyone else's) software suites is really harsh.

I definitely couldnt justify swapping until the software catches up.

I only have the Naga 2015 and Naga Epic Chroma the newer Naga Chroma isnt available around here yet.

Really ive only had issue with Corsair's software. Simple things are way to hard and things people really dont care about are too prominent.

Only thing close has been Logitech's software but they havnt been building on it like razer has.

I only have the Naga 2015 and Naga Epic Chroma the newer Naga Chroma isnt available around here yet.

Really ive only had issue with Corsair's software. Simple things are way to hard and things people really dont care about are too prominent.

Only thing close has been Logitech's software but they havnt been building on it like razer has.

Yep. Razer Synapse might sometimes be a resource hog, but damn it is kinda the gold standard atm.

I've never tried the "2015". The epic chroma was way too much for my taste (along with the wireless life being less the amazing.)

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Yep. Razer Synapse might sometimes be a resource hog, but damn it is kinda the gold standard atm.

I've never tried the "2015". The epic chroma was way too much for my taste (along with the wireless life being less the amazing.)

It sucks they just cant get it right like logitech. Basically when your not using it you need to always have it docked.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like the G502.

Please don't kill me.

WTF. G502 is like the best mouse, best for price as well.

That is debatable.

I would never buy a G502 for several reasons:

• The right side of the mouse is too straight, makes for an uncomfortable grip.
  • The top of the mouse is neither glossy plastic nor softtouch/rubber coated, making it slippery
  • The weight system is unnecessary
  • I can't reach the sniper button while palming the mouse.

There is no such thing as "best mouse" or "best brand". Comfort and preferences are not universal. A lot of people dislike the stiffer clicks on Huano switches found on Zowie mice, I absolutely love them.

I own and use, sorted from newest to oldest: SteelSeries 6Gv2. Microsoft SideWinder X4. Mionix Naos 7000. Zowie EC1 Evo. Microsoft SideWinder X8. Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0. Dell U2414H. Samsung P2270H. AKG K273 Pro. Sennheiser HD555. Razer Goliathus Speed Medium. Func 1030 L. Qpad CT Medium.

I used to own: Razer DeathAdder 3G. Razer Krait. IntelliMouse Optical 1.1. SteelSeries QcK.

• The top of the mouse is neither glossy plastic nor softtouch/rubber coated, making it slippery

There is no such thing as "best mouse" or "best brand". Comfort and preferences are not universal. A lot of people dislike the stiffer clicks on Huano switches found on Zowie mice, I absolutely love them.

There is the objectively measurable accuracy of the sensor and that we can compare quite easily and most mice fail on this one. The G502 has a decent sensor as do Avago 3090 and 3310 based mice. You can also choose mice based on the location of the sensor and whether its centralised on the basis of human hand motion or not. Then you have the type of grip and the size of the hand which are for the most part gowhat shing to determine apes are going to suit you. Then you can get to preference, but I wouldn't start with its just personal preference I would say you eliminate a lot of mice just based on objective measures and then whether your grip style is suited by the mouse. Most people get to a pretty small list on just those 2 factors.

There is the objectively measurable accuracy of the sensor and that we can compare quite easily and most mice fail on this one. The G502 has a decent sensor as do Avago 3090 and 3310 based mice. You can also choose mice based on the location of the sensor and whether its centralised on the basis of human hand motion or not. Then you have the type of grip and the size of the hand which are for the most part gowhat shing to determine apes are going to suit you. Then you can get to preference, but I wouldn't start with its just personal preference I would say you eliminate a lot of mice just based on objective measures and then whether your grip style is suited by the mouse. Most people get to a pretty small list on just those 2 factors.

While that is one approach to it, I still think starting from the opposite side is better. If your mouse is the most perfect thing ever, but the coating or shape is not something you like and it actually bothers you, that's not really something you should consider buying.

I've bought a handful of mice for various reasons. I got a Razer Krait because it was cheap and a "gaming" mouse. I ended up giving it away because the shape was uncomfortable for palming. I got a IME3.0 because it was recommended by a lot of people. I got a DeathAdder (and later a Zowie EC1) because people said it was similar to the IME3.0's shape but had a well-documented, superior sensor that was more adjustable. My most recent acquisition is a Mionix Naos 7000, which I got after trying out pretty much all of the mice from Razer, Logitech and SteelSeries and finding that the most comfortable mice for me were SteelSeries Rival and Qpad 5K. I opted from the Naos 7000 rather than the 5K or Func MS-3 because of the superior sensor.

My personal experience has steered me towards prioritizing shape over specs, simply because the shape has always been an issue for me.

I own and use, sorted from newest to oldest: SteelSeries 6Gv2. Microsoft SideWinder X4. Mionix Naos 7000. Zowie EC1 Evo. Microsoft SideWinder X8. Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0. Dell U2414H. Samsung P2270H. AKG K273 Pro. Sennheiser HD555. Razer Goliathus Speed Medium. Func 1030 L. Qpad CT Medium.

I used to own: Razer DeathAdder 3G. Razer Krait. IntelliMouse Optical 1.1. SteelSeries QcK.

Most of these complaints about the G502 I have never heard elsewhere.

I find the G502 quite comfortable grip wise just that it is not wide enough.

Many people like me prefer the hard textured plastic. Razer has actually gotten this spot on. For me soft touch makes my hand sweat and glossy is slippery. What logitech has been doing for the last two generations has been quite good for me minus how easily the rubber gets caked with crud.

I actually would agree as well that the weight system in that mouse is indeed unnecessary since the mouse is already a brick.

More people have the opposite issue than you with the sniper button. They use a more top/forward palm grip and the thumb sits right on top the sniper button high is not ideal. For me with my rear palm grip that logitech seems to prefer on most of their mice it's perfect though. So either you have a small hand or maybe use closer to a fingertip grip.

Most of these complaints about the G502 I have never heard elsewhere.

I find the G502 quite comfortable grip wise just that it is not wide enough.

Many people like me prefer the hard textured plastic. Razer has actually gotten this spot on. For me soft touch makes my hand sweat and glossy is slippery. What logitech has been doing for the last two generations has been quite good for me minus how easily the rubber gets caked with crud.

I actually would agree as well that the weight system in that mouse is indeed unnecessary since the mouse is already a brick.

More people have the opposite issue than you with the sniper button. They use a more top/forward palm grip and the thumb sits right on top the sniper button high is not ideal. For me with my rear palm grip that logitech seems to prefer on most of their mice it's perfect though. So either you have a small hand or maybe use closer to a fingertip grip.

I don't have a small hand by any means; most mice are too small for me to palm. The same is true for the G502, as trying to palm it means my thumb doesn't reach the sniper button and placing my hand so that it does puts the tips of my index and middle finger over the top of the mouse. FYI, I am using the Mionix Naos 7000 right now and it is smaller than I expected.

Another personal thing is that I have rather dry hands and I find textured plastic to be too slippery with that in mind.

The weights are a addon and are necessary. It affects the weight of the mouse which affects u dragging it across the surface and picking it up when on the edge or too far away etc

I use fingertip grip but my palm is touching the mouse a little. You can't just drag the mouse with your fingertips, that's stupid.

I have small hands. Smaller than average. Idk if this will affect my experience with the g502

Just measure length: 7.08 inches

width: 3.3 inches

What is a gaming mouse without macros?

Laser/optical: no preference, whatever comes up I'll take

LED's: whatever, prefferably yes but u don't mind if it dosent have any.

Polling rate: whatever has faster tracking. I think that's 1000 hurtz or 1ms

The weights are a addon and are necessary. It affects the weight of the mouse which affects u dragging it across the surface and picking it up when on the edge or too far away etc

Here is the problem with that though. The G502 is already a heavyweight. If anything people want to remove weight. I could see possibly adding weight to a sub 100g mouse but not to this.