Australia's fibre rollout is officially dead.

georgeghazi

This.  Though unfortunately this is more cheaping out on providing actually decent infrastructure.  Like our crappy copper connections which weren't periodically upgraded like they should have been, I seriously doubt it'll be upgraded any time in the foreseeable future.  It's the same situation as with what has happened to Sydney's public transport - it wasn't planned properly and maintained from the beginning, and now the costs of upgrading everything are astronomical.  This may be a somewhat thought out plan to speed up the roll out, but really what the economy needs is for someone to bite the bullet and ensure we get the complete deal rather than half-done jobs, or at least roll out the FTTN properly and slowly upgrade over time from there.  At least now we don't need to worry about Telstra and Optus being responsible for maintaining and upgrading which straight out wouldn't happen.

On another note, it's honestly sad that I get faster speeds over wifi at uni to my phone, than over cable to my house and computer which are located only about 4km away.

I've noticed that even on 4G (before I moved and when I was stuck paying $200 for 12GB from the greedy bastards aka telstra) the internet speeds were insanely fast compared to 3G, and my new ADSL2 connection. (Optus was $130 for 15GB-$10 dollars less than telstras 8GB package but with practically no reception 99% of the time).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just a word of warning: I'm completely morally against the use of the word, I think it's disgusting, however, there are just some situations where no other word can be used to explain it.

CUNTS!

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

"Sorry! (404)

The page you're trying to reach is not here or has been removed.

Read more at http://www.tweaktown.com/404/index.html"         ???????????? maybe false news?

yep, it got removed, probably because it was all BS.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I knew fibre was going to die in Australia because they cant do it within a 4 year term and the late adoption of fibre is making the cost significant, how ever I think if it was a long term goal in the such "no new copper" I think that would be a good step.

I just think replacing copper with copper is a bad idea which will cost us in the long run, I do think if they can push the time line out further to ensure fibre is rolled out it is fine.

Its all about those volumetric clouds

How on earth is that being a liberal fanboy?  or do you just call anyone you disagree with a fanboy?

It's funny how several people make outright false claims about abbot,  scream insults about how they hate him and when I simply put forward a balanced view and I get labeled the fanboy?  Maybe I hit a nerve.

Did I even say that I liked Labor lel? No

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

Did I even say that I liked Labor lel? No

I never said you liked anything, I was just asking why you think I am a fanboy?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I never said you liked anything, I was just asking why you think I am a fanboy?

I was being sarcastic

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

One thing you can be guaranteed of, since the first NBN deal where Telstra were forced to sell their copper network,  they are not going to invest money repairing or upgrading as they are being forced to sell it. Would you or anyone put new tyres on a car if you were being forced to sell it?

What I meant was because they neglected to upgrade the network over time, we're in the current situation that we're in now.  Now that they won't have the responsibility for that we'll just have to wait and see if the NBN Co. actually does what they should and upgrade over time or just let it stagnate like Telstra and Optus did with the copper network.

I've noticed that even on 4G (before I moved and when I was stuck paying $200 for 12GB from the greedy bastards aka telstra) the internet speeds were insanely fast compared to 3G, and my new ADSL2 connection. (Optus was $130 for 15GB-$10 dollars less than telstras 8GB package but with practically no reception 99% of the time).

I know a few people who have 4G phones which have much faster internet than their current copper home connections.  It's honestly a load of turd how much we pay for our internet data and phone plans compared to the quality of the product provided.  With all the extra money we pay just for the service Telstra and Optus could have easily upgraded the network, but all they've done is sit on their hands and jack up the prices.  Whilst Telstra is my ISP at the moment, and the stability and speed of the connection is the best I'm probably going to get at the moment, it does annoy me that they've jacked up the prices on all their internet plans so that now the upgrade from my current older 200GB package to a 500GB package is stupidly expensive.  What has happened is that they've rolled their non-NBN packages and NBN packages into one, so now you're paying for NBN capable service, even if you don't have it.

CPU Intel Core i7 7700K; Cooler Cryorig R1 Universal; MB Asus ROG Maximus IX Code; RAM G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz (4 x 8GB); GPU ASUS GTX 1080 Ti ROG Strix Gaming OC; Case Be Quiet Dark Base 900 Pro Silver; Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500GB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB; PSU EVGA Supernova 850W G2; OS Windows 10; KB Corsair K70 (MX Brown); Audio O2 & ODAC, Sennheiser HD 600, Sennheiser RS 185, Swan M200MKIII; Monitors 2x Dell U2410

Previous Build

CPU Intel Core i5 4690K; Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212X; MB Asus Z97-A; RAM G.Skill Sniper (2 x 4GB); GPU 2x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming (SLI); Case Corsair Obsidian 450D; Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Black 1TB, Hitachi 750GB; PSU EVGA Supernova 750W G2; OS Windows 10; 

I was being sarcastic

you should use the tongue emoticon, I don't get sarcasm at the best of times.

you should use the tongue emoticon, I don't get sarcasm at the best of times.

I hate emoticons, they make me look like an idiot when I use them

I hate emoticons, they make me look like an idiot when I use them

:blink:  :P

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:btDTamcJPewJ:www.tweaktown.com/news/41937/aussie-internet-labor-nbn-plans-now-officially-extinct/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au

^Cached link for those who want to read the article.

I've really come to hate politics! I replied to a similar thread regarding NBN and Moose gave a good response, which enlightened me. I guess there are higher priority issues for this country over broadband infrastructure. But regardless of this, we can't keep delaying this issue in an age where we are becoming increasingly reliant on technology or else we will be faced with some stupid cost later on - I partly blame it on old people and their old school views (yeah I know this is irrational, rude and ignorant). I would seriously be happy with a 10/10 connection (symmetrical), with a low ping ~10ms. For reference I get around 6/0.8 and 26ms on the pingers.

...I've really come to hate politics! I replied to a similar thread regarding NBN and Moose gave a good response, which enlightened me. I guess there are higher priority issues for this country over broadband infrastructure. But regardless of this, we can't keep delaying this issue in an age where we are becoming increasingly reliant on technology or else we will be faced with some stupid cost later on...

Well it is already at a stupid cost now.  But you're right and that's my opinion as well - if we just bit the bullet and invested in decent network now, the return upon that investment, whilst not immediate would be much better than the absurd cost of going through this cycle over and over again.  We can't keep relying on mining and natural gases to sustain the economy - growth has to come from elsewhere, and part of that is improving infrastructure to facilitate that.

CPU Intel Core i7 7700K; Cooler Cryorig R1 Universal; MB Asus ROG Maximus IX Code; RAM G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz (4 x 8GB); GPU ASUS GTX 1080 Ti ROG Strix Gaming OC; Case Be Quiet Dark Base 900 Pro Silver; Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500GB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB; PSU EVGA Supernova 850W G2; OS Windows 10; KB Corsair K70 (MX Brown); Audio O2 & ODAC, Sennheiser HD 600, Sennheiser RS 185, Swan M200MKIII; Monitors 2x Dell U2410

Previous Build

CPU Intel Core i5 4690K; Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212X; MB Asus Z97-A; RAM G.Skill Sniper (2 x 4GB); GPU 2x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming (SLI); Case Corsair Obsidian 450D; Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Black 1TB, Hitachi 750GB; PSU EVGA Supernova 750W G2; OS Windows 10; 

Both parties are equally bad, stop being a Liberal fanboy

Aren't there at least 5 major parties in Australian Politics. And isn't Abbott's party ironically the "Liberal Party of Australia"?

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

Aren't there at least 5 major parties in Australian Politics. And isn't Abbott's party ironically the "Liberal Party of Australia"?

Probably, but the Labor and Liberal parties are the only two large enough to be elected into government - the others have to form coalitions based on their political viewpoints with either Labor or Liberal in order to have enough power in the senate or whatever.  It's been a while since I studied this stuff in school so I would take what I said with a grain of salt, but that's sort of how it works.

Previous Build

This has been like the slowest year for nbn not to mention malcom has purposly been halting fttp plans until his fttn bs has started up so he can say fttn rollout is faster even tho its not! Fttn was going to cost 42b instead of like 44b with fttp and take 2 years less not to mention going to stick thousands of ugly boxes on our streets that consume power and are easily going to be hit by the dickheads in our street also the cost of maintaining the copper infrastructure which telstra hasnt is going to be rididculous all this so we can go spend another 40b by the time fttn is finished because fttn will shit its self when it gets to 1gbps speeds!

Im just happy im still getting fttp i already have my pcd :)

Well this sucks for Australia.... Why are there so many morons in the current governments? Don't they see that internet is the new important resource and facility.

We elect them. It's our fault. We have to stop electing these idiots. 

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

LInk dead 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

We elect them. It's our fault. We have to stop electing these idiots. 

I disagree with that, you elect them based on some of the stuff you say, not all of it. That is a big problem with democracies in my opinion. Most of the time it is pick the lesser of multiple evils, and they are all evil in some way. Another big problem is that the voters often don't quite know what a certain political party actually want or what would be good, or what the problems are. I am quite sure that many many people don't know jack shit about internet, net neutrality and broadband, and the politicians know even less and listen to the lobbyists.

They are certainly idiots in most respects, but the problem is if you don't chose these idiots you'll chose other ones, and they might just fuck something else up. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

I disagree with that, you elect them based on some of the stuff you say, not all of it. That is a big problem with democracies in my opinion. Most of the time it is pick the lesser of multiple evils, and they are all evil in some way. Another big problem is that the voters often don't quite know what a certain political party actually want or what would be good, or what the problems are. I am quite sure that many many people don't know jack shit about internet, net neutrality and broadband, and the politicians know even less and listen to the lobbyists.

They are certainly idiots in most respects, but the problem is if you don't chose these idiots you'll chose other ones, and they might just fuck something else up. 

My thoughts exactly.

Previous Build

Original post link leads to a file 404 page from that website, what gives?

They aren't democracies, they're "representative republics".

Except they only ever represent their own interests and wallets. And only give the appearance of trying to appease the people.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Original post link leads to a file 404 page from that website, what gives?

They aren't democracies, they're "representative republics".

Except they only ever represent their own interests and wallets. And only give the appearance of trying to appease the people.

Exactly. Politicians are not responsible to the people. A democracy would be the people voting directly on issues. 

We elect the idiots that the idiotic system produces. We discourage the best candidates from running. It is our fault and it is time that we take responsibility and cast them OUT. 

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

Exactly. Politicians are not responsible to the people. A democracy would be the people voting directly on issues. 

We elect the idiots that the idiotic system produces. We discourage the best candidates from running. It is our fault and it is time that we take responsibility and cast them OUT. 

What we need to do, is make a "4th branch" of government here in the US. Basically, the other 3 branches do what they normally do, but at the end of the day, they can't pass a single piece of legislation until the people vote on it (the entire country) and approve it.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

If this is right them im pretty fucking dissapointing with the government.

And the source is broken