I found this sound card

thorpj
Go to solution Solved by Guest,

I haven't tried it yet. because i don't want to have to mess with drivers (there isn't even a win8 version of the drivers)

"That's impressive" Hyperx and some crappy logitech speakers, hardly... Is sarcasm against the CoC :)

Hyper X headphones aren't too bad... I'm being for real when I say that. Most people wouldn't be able to tell, and if you really can, then you must have a pretty sharp ear. But it's a double blind test that is the ultimate tell!

Hi,

I found this, it looks to be quite old, but i'd still like to found out if it will be better than my motherboards audio.

I've got an Asus B85-Pro Gamer, (With Realtek HD Audio Drivers) 

W60hN9Z.jpg

The Sound Card is (i think) "Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2"

I Don't think it is the ZS variant, so ignore that in the image.

3T0ZdEx.png

Thanks in advance!

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Generally speaking, and not everyone will agree, there is usually little to no noticeable difference between a sound card and a good on-board solution, such as the ALC1150 chipset fitted to most LGA1150 boards.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

If there is nothing perceptibly wrong with your audio now you don't need le upgrade.

Generally speaking, and not everyone will agree, there is usually little to no noticeable difference between a sound card and a good on-board solution, such as the ALC1150 chipset fitted to most LGA1150 boards.

If there is nothing perceptibly wrong with your audio now you don't need le upgrade.

Of course you are both correct, i was just interested to see if a sound card from 2002 would beat today onboard audio

Seems so: https://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/forum/threadview/2832654348541478287/

I might put it in my pc, for the lolz. Trouble is, driver support ends at Win 7.

Though i did have success using compatibility mode to test some old vista era webcam. It worked, and then i binned it.

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

That sound card is way too old and it's a Dell, so there are some differences between that and the non Dell version. Use onboard, but if you still want a sound card, then look at Creative's latest Z series or Asus Xonar series.

I still have my X-Fi, sadly my new board only has PCIe and no PCI.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

That sound card is way too old and it's a Dell, so there are some differences between that and the non Dell version. Use onboard, but if you still want a sound card, then look at Creative's latest Z series or Asus Xonar series.

I still have my X-Fi, sadly my new board only has PCIe and no PCI.

Just because it's from Dell, doesn't suddenly make it bad...

From what i'm reading, it seems to beat onboard. 

I'm not shopping for a sound card, i'm just looking at this because i found it in my house.

Does that motherboard even have a PCI slot? Didn't really bother to check lmao

Enjoy those tacos now, for in 1000 years they will be illegal... eh Ha Ha Ha! I think we all know why.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give tacos ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Poker 2 KB Review

Does that motherboard even have a PCI slot? Didn't really bother to check lmao

Of course it's got PCI slots. Perhaps PCI-E, but it'll still work, won't it

W60hN9Z.jpg

Even still. That soundcard looks like it was made in 1995. You wouldn't need it anyways.

Enjoy those tacos now, for in 1000 years they will be illegal... eh Ha Ha Ha! I think we all know why.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give tacos ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Poker 2 KB Review

Even still. That soundcard looks like it was made in 1995. You wouldn't need it anyways.

Honestly, it's like you didn't read anything that i've written. It's 2002. Still old, but it seems to be better than onboard.

It really depends on what you are using to listen to it. If you are using just a pair of crappy Apple earbuds, you probably won't notice a difference, but if you are using something like an HD5XX, you might hear an improvment. I can't speak for either the MOBO or the sound card, but I say ditch both and get yourself a good DAC. I'm going to say that if your headphones/speakers are good enough that you can hear a difference, you should be connecting them to something better anyway. 

It really depends on what you are using to listen to it. If you are using just a pair of crappy Apple earbuds, you probably won't notice a difference, but if you are using something like an HD5XX, you might hear an improvment. I can't speak for either the MOBO or the sound card, but I say ditch both and get yourself a good DAC. I'm going to say that if your headphones/speakers are good enough that you can hear a difference, you should be connecting them to something better anyway. 

I'm no audiophile

I've got a pair of HyperX Clouds, and some logitech 5.2 2+1 speakers.

I won't be buying anything.

Just because it's from Dell, doesn't suddenly make it bad...

From what i'm reading, it seems to beat onboard. 

I'm not shopping for a sound card, i'm just looking at this because i found it in my house.

Not saying from Dell it's bad. Just saying there are some slight differences between the Dell and Retail.  Dedicated sound card will always be better than onboard.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

I'm no audiophile

I've got a pair of HyperX Clouds, and some logitech 5.2 2+1 speakers.

I won't be buying anything.

If you can hear a difference, then more power to ya man! That's impressive, really. Have you tried a blind test?

If you can hear a difference, then more power to ya man! That's impressive, really. Have you tried a blind test?

I haven't tried it yet. because i don't want to have to mess with drivers (there isn't even a win8 version of the drivers)

"That's impressive" Hyperx and some crappy logitech speakers, hardly... Is sarcasm against the CoC :)

Hyper X headphones aren't too bad... I'm being for real when I say that. Most people wouldn't be able to tell, and if you really can, then you must have a pretty sharp ear. But it's a double blind test that is the ultimate tell!

Oh i know they're not bad, they're just not Audiophile - which suits me.

My hearing is pretty terrible, i probably wouldn't notice the difference.

I might as well close this thread up. Everyone's thoughts have been interesting, and, thanks for your time.

Of course it's got PCI slots. Perhaps PCI-E, but it'll still work, won't it

PCI and PCI-E got very different interface and slot shape. The good thing is that because it got different shape, people can't go around plugging PCI cards to PCI-E slots and ends up damaging the board and the cards

800px-PCI_und_PCIe_Slots.jpg

PCI and PCI-E got very different interface and slot shape. The good thing is that because it got different shape, people can't go around plugging PCI cards to PCI-E slots and ends up damaging the board and the cards

800px-PCI_und_PCIe_Slots.jpg

Oh, i've always assumed that they were backwards compatible, because i've never had to plug in anything that has PCI

my mobo does have two PCI slots, but i don't think i'll be using the sound card.

thanks for clarifying though!

Oh, i've always assumed that they were backwards compatible, because i've never had to plug in anything that has PCI

my mobo does have two PCI slots, but i don't think i'll be using the sound card.

thanks for clarifying though!

There are some PCI cards with 2 notches, one near the front and the other near the rear. For a person who is not familiar with PCI and PCIe this can get confusing. One way to tell the differences is, the gold contacts on PCI cards are taller than those on PCIe. For PCIe which is called PCI Express, there is another slot also called PCI Express, but it's has the abbreviation of PCI-X not PCIe. PCI-X will look exactly like a PCI slot but a lot longer. The common PCI slots are 32bit, PCI-X are 64bit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI-X

.2nt93t0.jpg

1st slot: PCI Express (PCI-X)

2nd: PCI Express x4 (PCIe)

3rd: PCI

4th: PCI Express x16 (PCIe)

Notice the block near the front for the PCI-X and PCIe slots, PCIe cards cannot be plugged into a PCI-X slot, even some people have no problems plugging them in.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

There are some PCI cards with 2 notches, one near the front and the other near the rear. For a person who is not familiar with PCI and PCIe this can get confusing. One way to tell the differences is, the gold contacts on PCI cards are taller than those on PCIe. For PCIe which is called PCI Express, there is another slot also called PCI Express, but it's has the abbreviation of PCI-X not PCIe. PCI-X will look exactly like a PCI slot but a lot longer. The common PCI slots are 32bit, PCI-X are 64bit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI-X

.2nt93t0.jpg

1st slot: PCI Express (PCI-X)

2nd: PCI Express x4 (PCIe)

3rd: PCI

4th: PCI Express x16 (PCIe)

Notice the block near the front for the PCI-X and PCIe slots, PCIe cards cannot be plugged into a PCI-X slot, even some people have no problems plugging them in.

thanks for the info

Thats actually a great card

That's good, do you use it?