PC for my parents

Gert

Currently whenever my parents need to use a PC they have to use mine which is in my room.  What would be a good cheap ($200-400) solution, would be be a compact solution such as a NUC or brix, or maybe a laptop?

U FOKEN WUT M8 ILL REK U M8 ILL BEAT UR ASS ACROSS THE PLANET ANS THEN SELL YOU TO THE MAFIA WHERE THEY WILL MAKE YOU THIER BITCH U FGT

What do they do with your computer? Do they want something portable? I wouldn't go with a NUC/Brix/etc. for upgradability's sake.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Currently whenever my parents need to use a PC they have to use mine which is in my room.  What would be a good cheap ($200-400) solution, would be be a compact solution such as a NUC or brix, or maybe a laptop?

lol idek

CPU: AMD 5350 2.05Ghz Quad-Core Processor  ($56.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-AM1M-S2P Micro ATX AM1 Motherboard  ($27.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Team Elite 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($32.99 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: Planar 997-7687-00 60Hz 20.0" Monitor  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $297.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-07 21:53 EST-0500

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

AMD sempy 3850 + Cheap FSB1 board, 4 GB of ram, and a cheap case+psu combo.

CPU: AMD Athlon 5350 (2.66 Ghz OC) Motherboard: Asus AM1m-a Memory: Mushkin Radioactive 8GB DDR3-1600 GPU: MSI R7 260 1GD5 OC Storage: Toshiba Hybrid 500GB Case: Cougar Spike PSU: Rosewill Arc 450 OS: Deepin Linux 2014

You can change the case and add an OS if you need it.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8fZmWZ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8fZmWZ/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($57.00 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($82.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($54.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($52.89 @ OutletPC) 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($39.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($19.99 @ Newegg) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($18.88 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $326.72
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-07 21:57 EST-0500

I put in a Optical drive just in case you wanted one.

(you can OC a bit or can opt for a B chipset mobo that is cheaper)

System: Thinkpad T460

what do they do

Pretty much just internet and Word.

U FOKEN WUT M8 ILL REK U M8 ILL BEAT UR ASS ACROSS THE PLANET ANS THEN SELL YOU TO THE MAFIA WHERE THEY WILL MAKE YOU THIER BITCH U FGT

What do they do? Are they just email readers? do they just web browse? 

Main PC: Core i5 4670 | MSI Mpower Max z87 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb | Stock intel cooler | PNY GTX 770 2gb (hoping to upgrade) | Seagate 1tb 7200rpm | Corsair RM850 | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PCCG custom sleeved black/yellow extensions | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue | Corsair M45 |

Phone: LG Nexus 5 | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-PDG1, Shure SRH440 | Laptop: Asus 303la (i5 model, 1600x900 res) | Motorbikes: 2004 Sherco 290i, 2013 Husqvarna CR125 | Xbox one

HP Stream 11 or 13

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Pretty much just internet and Word.

would you mind a desktop or just laptop do you know how to build a desktop

Hi friend.Who are you?

would you mind a desktop or just laptop do you know how to build a desktop

I can build a PC, they just want something that will last a few years (3-5)

what all do they do?

if all they do is check emails and facebook, yaddah blah ect. 

then a simple chrome book will do fine. perhaps a surface?

if mobility doesnt matter much get them an NUC. ^~^

i know a good cheap solution for building one, but linus did a review on that one NUC, that came with windows and a load of other stuff for like 200$. (i really reccomend that one)

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

what all do they do?

if all they do is check emails and facebook, yaddah blah ect. 

then a simple chrome book will do fine. perhaps a surface?

if mobility doesnt matter much get them an NUC. ^~^

i know a good cheap solution for building one, but linus did a review on that one NUC, that came with windows and a load of other stuff for like 200$. (i really reccomend that one)

Pretty much all they do use the internet.

thanks

thanks

you're welcome! 

im lookign into buying one for m mom so i can tear apart her laptop. x'D i refuse to look at specs. i need to hold that i7. xD

-Jim Hensen

you're welcome! 

im lookign into buying one for m mom so i can tear apart her laptop. x'D i refuse to look at specs. i need to hold that i7. xD

LOL

this isn't compact really.. but if you check out the budget gamer build guide that linus put up recently you could built the lowest option with an overlocked g3258 even with the stock cooler it goes up really high.. just don't throw the video card in the build.. I'm pretty sure theres even a sale for some of the parts it comes out to around 300 but an over 4ghz dual core build and you'll be able to use the onboard graphics and obviously you could decide on ssd or hdd.. again not that compact but great bang for buck and could be a fun project for you haha  

i7 3770k - sandisk ssd -evga gtx 660 - kraken x61 - 16gb corsair vengeance - nzxt h440 - logitech g502 proteus core- hackintosh = badass  

I gotcha dawg

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 370K 4.2GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($56.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A55M-HD+ Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($50.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($52.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GT 730 1GB Video Card  ($54.99 @ Micro Center)
Case: Apevia X-Master Black/Silver HTPC Case w/500W Power Supply  ($59.99 @ Mwave)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer  ($12.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $343.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-07 23:57 EST-0500

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

this isn't compact really.. but if you check out the budget gamer build guide that linus put up recently you could built the lowest option with an overlocked g3258 even with the stock cooler it goes up really high.. just don't throw the video card in the build.. I'm pretty sure theres even a sale for some of the parts it comes out to around 300 but an over 4ghz dual core build and you'll be able to use the onboard graphics and obviously you could decide on ssd or hdd.. again not that compact but great bang for buck and could be a fun project for you haha

that is pretty much what I got but a better Gpu and storage solution (my cpu is at 4ghz).

I suggest a laptop, easy and simple

Longboarders/ skaters message me!