HD 7990

I/O

It doesn't affect performance that much, it's just a bunch of numbers.

Numbers that can have real world impact.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Too bad it isn't winter...

It's December???

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

yup, and even at 4K with decent settings you will be able to accomplish that :D So, no problems here!

I would say that is a far cry but 1080P and 60fps sure.

Still Viable  ? It's $400

Dude, long story short, it's two 280X's on a single card. A 280 doesn't trail too fair behind a 280X, and can often be found for less then half of $400. If you have the room to run two cards I'd rather get two 280s.

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

It was fixed many drivers ago. It's better than nvidia now.

I'm aware, but still since the drivers have updated micro stuttering has been minimal and it's smooth :)

Actually as you can see here, even with new drivers the issue persists on the 295x2. This happens with any GPUs in crossfire.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It's December???

Depends on where you live. December for people in North America is Summer for other people on the other side of the globe.

I would say that is a far cry but 1080P and 60fps sure.

I wouldn't say so, this card a beast! 102 FPS on BF3 at 4K with Medium settings, so you could probably get ultra if you turned some other things off :)

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Actually as you can see here, even with new drivers the issue persists on the 295x2. This happens with any GPUs in crossfire.

I come back on here after a month and you're still linking vids of the same game from the same channel lol

Don't know what you are talking about, looks fine to me at 4K fullscreen so you're imagining something, and still those numbers don't really mean much 

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Reality is for people on 1080P or 1440P the frame rates stayed above 60fps so there is no ... "frame time" issue. 4k takes much more power to run smooth that any GPUs are able to provide today. 980s would get close but still have dips below 60fps so making the frame tie crappy imho. B

I wouldn't say so, this card a beast! 102 FPS on BF3 at 4K with Medium settings, so you could probably get ultra if you turned some other things off :)

I think there would be many dips below 60fps though even if the avg and max is higher.

I think there would be many dips below 60fps though even if the avg and max is higher.

Probably, I'll try to put a bunch of benchmarks and opinions on how the 7990 performs at 4K :D

Yeah, but it's still a decent setup. Again though you could save 50-ish bucks if you go for two 280s, but up to you.

Yeah, but it's still a decent setup. Again though you could save 50-ish bucks if you go for two 280s, but up to you.

Where I live the cheapest 280 CFX setup would be more money than the 7990 ... also the 7990 is HD 7970 GPU under clocked to 950 Mhz ... the 280 is an HD 7950.

Where I live the cheapest 280 CFX setup would be more money than the 7990 ... also the 7990 is HD 7970 GPU under clocked to 950 Mhz ... the 280 is an HD 7950.

I know, I said above, consider it two (underclocked) 280Xs. 280 isn't too far behind 280X.

I come back on here after a month and you're still linking vids of the same game from the same channel lol

Because they actually make really nice videos that help to explain complex things to lazy people who dont like to do research.

Don't know what you are talking about, looks fine to me at 4K fullscreen so you're imagining something, and still those numbers don't really mean much 

You're watching a prerendered video on youtube. Frame-time is only noticeable to the first-person actually playing the game on their monitor.

Reality is for people on 1080P or 1440P the frame rates stayed above 60fps so there is no ... "frame time" issue. 4k takes much more power to run smooth that any GPUs are able to provide today. 980s would get close but still have dips below 60fps so making the frame tie crappy imho. B

Apparently you seem to not understand what frame-time is. I'm nt going to bother explaining to you because if you really cared you can read the research that pcper did and linus talked about in his livetreams a year ago.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Apparently you seem to not understand what frame-time is.

"Frame Time" is just another word for "Frame Rate". What we as gamers need to be worried about is "Frame Rate OVER TIME" not some BS propaganda they call "Frame Time".

"Frame Time" is just another word for "Frame Rate". What we as gamers need to be worried about is "Frame Rate OVER TIME" not some BS propaganda they call "Frame Time".

No, that is not what it is. You don't understand what frame timing is.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

No, that is not what it is. You don't understand what frame timing is.

Some shit that is irrelevant and is why it no longer is being reported and talked about ... unless that is you are trying to work an angle.

Some shit that is irrelevant and is why it no longer is being reported and talked about ... unless that is you are trying to work an angle.

Frametime is pretty important man, and gets talked about a LOT from GPU reviewers.

Do you not see this yourself when looking up reviews...  cos it does get talked/written about everytime I see reviews on a new GPU lineup.

Nvidia always had a good rep for it,  AMD has done a lot for the greater good on this subject in the last year and a half, but game ports/craptasticly optimized games still have these issues. <-- which is why it's still being talked about

/I may have been confused (frequently happens), I have been focusing on FramePacing, using Frametime as the terminology...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Frametime is pretty important man, and gets talked about a LOT from GPU reviewers.

Do you not see this yourself when looking up reviews...  cos it does get talked/written about everytime I see reviews on a new GPU lineup.

AMD has done a lot for the greater good on this subject, but game ports/craptasticly optimized games still have these issues.

It used to but has been debunked. "Frame Rate OVER TIME" is all that matters. V sync 60fps locked is 16.8ms "Frame Time".

Can you describe what frame time actually is?

Can you describe what frame time actually is?

60 fps Vsync = 16.8ms "Frame Time" ,,, frame rate goes down Frame Time goes up and down in cadence with the frame rate and vise versa.

It used to but has been debunked. "Frame Rate OVER TIME" is all that matters.

No, that's not how it works. Frame time is far more important than fps. The reason it is not used for benchmarks is because of how difficult it is to record it, because it requires an external capture card that records every frame that goes to the monitor, not every frame that comes out from the GPU.

fps is what comes out from the GPU.

What your eye sees is frame time, you do not see fps.

You brain does not go: "oh I saw 70 images in the past second therefore I see 70fps"

It actually gets one frame from your monitor, then processes it, then gets another frame. If frame time increases for a tenth of a second your eye will notice that as a stutter because your monitor duplicated a frame that the GPU was not able to provide.

This tenth of a second is far too small to affect fps, since fps is just an average over time, but your brain does not average frames over time, which is why fps is not representative of what you see.

For example if you watch an image for five seconds, then you watch a video at 60fps for an hour, the fps will still be around 59.99something because it is an average, while the frame time will be extremely high(bad) for the 5 second image, while being really low(good) for the hour of video. BUT do you notice that 5 second image? YES OF COURSE and this is why frame time is extremely important and why linus is going to use this for benchmarking games when the technology of frame-time capture is readily available.

Spoiler

In Australia its been pretty sunny

TIL we all live in Australia

My PC: i7 3770k @ 4.4 Ghz || Hyper 212 Evo || Intel Extreme Motherboard DZ77GA || EVGA Hybrid 980ti || Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB || Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB || WD Black 1TB

Peripherals: Corsair K70 RGB || Sentey Pro Revolution Gaming Mouse || Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm Headphone || Benq XL2420Z Monitor