HD 7990

I/O

Gawww, Almost pressed the trigger on this bad boy. 

Already running an r9 280x in my system now, I plan on selling mine to a friend, and then picking up a new gpu. I'm trying to spend under 400 or so usd. Now i'm not interested in any 4k gaming in the future. I'm looking for something that can push a consistent 120fps in games. Is this the best performance under 400? 

From what I've read (in the thread at least) microstuttering on this card seems to be less of an issue due to the new drivers. Are there any other issues I could see using a CF card? 

The 7950 (i op's card is better) I owned was the worst card I have ever touched, crashes, bad drivers from 2012 -2014 (only just got better) 60Fps didnt feel smooth and the catalyst program was bad. I am done with AMD.

I hear that same story over and over from nvidia faboys.

Whoa that 400$ heater.

Dude, if you compare it to SLI/Crossfire setups the temp aren't half bad. 

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Would grab a 970 and oc it to 1500+ and you will have nearly the same performance for cheaper, especially with heat and noise compared to a 7990. I would even recommend a 290x at $330 over a 7990 at $400( even though it consumes the same maybe even more than the 7990 dual card and probably runs hotter) it's just better value.

Dude, if you compare it to SLI

Crossfire setups the temp aren't half bad.

80c for a dual Reference air cooled AMD card is actually almost very remarkable.

The 7950 I owned was the worst card I have ever touched, crashes, bad drivers from 2012 -2014 (only just got better) 60Fps didnt feel smooth and the catalyst program was bad. I am done with AMD.

Each to their own, your was probably a random manufacturer issue (dodgy build quality) or broken in transit......,I love them because my 7950 overclocked with ease to 1200Mhz on Air, never broke down after hours of gaming, always worked with CONSTANT driver changes (whenever they release a new one, I switched) and I have ZERO bad things to say about that entire 7950 experience.

Problems...Which could be from either side... the AMD driver having a bitch at something, or something having a bitch at AMD drivers... <-- does not mean AMD is at fault.

And yeah, comparing this DualGPU's heat output to a SingleGPU is VERY stupid thinking.

I'd not get a 7990 myself at this point...unless I already had a 7970 laying around (Triple-Xfire),..... usual story, more powerful Single over the Dual-GPU.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

80c for a dual Reference air cooled AMD card is actually almost very remarkable.

ya, and I believe that was on auto fan speeds so pretty good!

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Each to their own, your was probably a random manufacturer issue (dodgy build quality) or broken in transit......,I love them because my 7950 overclocked with ease to 1200Mhz on Air, never broke down after hours of gaming, always worked with CONSTANT driver changes (whenever they release a new one, I switched) and I have ZERO bad things to say about that entire 7950 experience.

Problems...Which could be from either side... the AMD driver having a bitch at something, or something having a bitch at AMD drivers... <-- does not mean AMD is at fault.

And yeah, comparing this DualGPU's heat output to a SingleGPU is VERY stupid thinking.

I'd not get a 7990 myself at this point...unless I already had a 7970 laying around (Triple-Xfire),..... usual story, more powerful Single over the Dual-GPU.

Yes normaly comparing a single gpu to dual gpu heat would be silly, but in this case the price bracket is there to compare. For this dual gpu you can get a similarly performing single gpu for less money, drawing less power and running cooler. With the option to add in a second gpu later and with 1gb more vram and longer driver support.

Dont by past generation cards because the idea of a having a dualgpu is really cool(which I admit it is, point pointless here with pricing of new cards).

ya, and I believe that was on auto fan speeds so pretty good!

It seems to be a quality aftermarket inspired triple fan design. I will be happy if the fan does not need to ramp up under load but that's asking allot

Yes normaly comparing a single gpu to dual gpu heat would be silly, but in this case the price bracket is there to compare. For this dual gpu you can get a similarly performing single gpu for less money, drawing less power and running cooler. With the option to add in a second gpu later and with 1gb more vram and longer driver support.

Dont by past generation cards because the idea of a having a dualgpu is really cool(which I admit it is, point pointless here with pricing of new cards).

The 7990 blows the doors off the Titan/780 in all games and the 900 series cards are overpriced in Canada as are the R9 290s which the 7990 outperforms.

The 7990 blows the doors off the Titan/780 in all games and the 900 series cards are overpriced in Canada as are the R9 290s which the 7990 outperforms.

Go for it then, seems like you already knew your answer and had made up your mind before making the thread just wanted positive reinforcement for your decision.

I still say when you hit this price bracket you should not be buying old generations. No idea you were in canada though, thought you were mad for a while there as you can get a 290x lightning for $350 in the states which is a much better deal.

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-Graphics-R9-290X-LIGHTNING/dp/B00IZNE2ZS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1417960446&sr=8-3&keywords=290x

Go for it then, seems like you already knew your answer and had made up your mind before making the thread just wanted positive reinforcement for your decision.

I still say when you hit this price bracket you should not be buying old generations. No idea you were in canada though, thought you were mad for a while there as you can get a 290x lightning for $350 in the states which is a much better deal.

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-Graphics-R9-290X-LIGHTNING/dp/B00IZNE2ZS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1417960446&sr=8-3&keywords=290x

They got rocks in their head in Canada ... Sapphire r9 290x tri x not vapor x is going for $600

They got rocks in their head in Canada ... Sapphire r9 290x tri x not vapor x is going for $600

Why is pricing so bad there? Uk here and I am always jealous of the States prices, had no idea use had it bad.

Why is pricing so bad there? Uk here and I am always jealous of the States prices, had no idea use had it bad.

It normally was good pricing in Canada but it seems everything is going up in price while the states get cheaper. Steam games used to be 60 bucks and are now 70.

• 3 weeks later...

Because they actually make really nice videos that help to explain complex things to lazy people who dont like to do research.

You're watching a prerendered video on youtube. Frame-time is only noticeable to the first-person actually playing the game on their monitor.

Apparently you seem to not understand what frame-time is. I'm nt going to bother explaining to you because if you really cared you can read the research that pcper did and linus talked about in his livetreams a year ago.

It's a GPU

The 7990 performs so well, but sadly my unit has coil whine. Oh well :/